The perils of riding a moto?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

The perils of riding a moto?

Post by HappyChappy »

So after being here almost a year and spending a silly amount on tuktuks, I've decided that buying a moto it would basically just pay for itself at this stage.

THING IS. I told myself I'd never ride one, I've heard so many horror stories and my spacial awareness isn't fantastic.

HERE'S MY QUESTION: In order to minimise any trouble I may have, what are the perils of riding? What are the main things to look out for? I know not wearing a helmet will get me pulled over real fast, but what else will the cops have me done for? What do I need to know about the trick of the road out here???

Driving reeeeeal slow on the far right of the road is my plan.... Do I need to know anything else???.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The perils of riding a moto

Post by pissontheroof »

I suggest 3 wheels
I used to be in hospital all the time when I only had 2

I hate helmets and used to just pay the dollar in sihanoukville but they got me for $15 one time here in siem reap
So now I got a 3 wheel bicycle , so cool because I can ride past police drinking beer , go down 1 way streets , run red lights , basically break every rule. Drunk ! I love it !
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Don’t ride too far on the far right of the road. You have to leave room for those coming the wrong way down the street and for others to pull out of side streets, bit like letting people on a motorway slip road move in. And forget about “right of way”, that’s not how it works.
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

Don't ride at night, don't ride impaired, buy a sleeper moto, one that the locals ride.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Greatest peril is death
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by HappyChappy »

Dunderhead wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:55 am Don't ride at night, don't ride impaired, buy a sleeper moto, one that the locals ride.
I appreciate that but I go to the gym after work so I need to drive at night. What's a sleeper?
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by HappyChappy »

khmerhamster wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:22 am Greatest peril is death
I dunno, being a paraplegic would be worse IMO. But don't die, gotcha.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

HappyChappy wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:24 am

Driving reeeeeal slow on the far right of the road is my plan.... Do I need to know anything else???.
Bad plan. When someone else makes a right turn you might be squeezed. Consider your fellow road users to be complete idiots only looking forward. Mirrors are useful to pick facial hair or apply lipstick only. You only look over your shoulder when you see a sexy girl on the back of a motorcycle.

The perils would be to drive slowly, use your mirrors and always look for open space on the road. No sudden movements, no hard braking for a red / orange traffic light because the car behind you might ignore it running over you. Try to get used to constantly check your mirrors. Make sure they're set for an easy look for you. If the motorcycle has cheap copies as mirrors offering a blurred view get a pair of originals from a dealer.

When a car is standing still check the wheels. It's easiest to see whether it's pulling up or not that way.

Coppers will do three checks only in general: helmet - plate - mirrors.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

You got it , just ride real slow max 40k and keep your eyes on the road as soon as you look away something's going to pull out in front of you. Oh and keep your sence of humor, it's easy to get the shits with some stupid people on the road.
Enjoy yourself riding, at least you're not at the mercy of some drunk touk touk driver taking you home.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

Don't be put off by all the negative aspects - I have ridden scooters for years in Hanoi and Saigon in the world's worst traffic, and now riding a scooter in Cambodia. Over the years I have come off twice, both times my fault, luckily at fairly low speeds. Traffic rarely moves at more than 20 kmh to 30 kmh in town, often less! It can be a lot of fun and the important thing is to remember that road users are not constrained by rules much, so you just have to be awake all the time, wary of people coming out of side streets without looking, doing U-turns in the middle of a busy road, intersections with no clear right-of-way etc etc. Once you get into the rhythm with the locals its no problem.Like you I got fed up with arguing with tuk tuk drivers who wanted $5 to take me on a 5 minute ride, or waiting around for ages for the Passapp guy to turn up. Go wherever you want, park wherever you feel like it, its a taste of freedom. If you get a moto less than 125cc you dont need a license and if you wear a helmet and look like you know what you are doing the cops leave you alone. Anyway, who wants to live forever?
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic