The perils of riding a moto?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The perils of riding a moto

Post by Clutch Cargo »

khmerhamster wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:49 pm
clutchcargo wrote:
Bluenose wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:21 am If you have medical insurance check the small print to see what it says about this. Cambodia doesn't require a license for under 125cc, but it is possible your insurance policy states you are only covered if you hold a license for the country you are in. Don't give them an excuse to not pay up.
This. I've mentioned it too a few times on earlier threads. I think it's never been made explicit that that rule includes foreigners.

For this reason, I personally wouldn't want to test the 'you don't need a licence for under 125cc in Cambodia' when claiming on medical insurance. Hence, I would recommend getting the 'big bike' local licence regardless just to be sure.
Do any general laws here explicitly say that foreigners are included?

Would I be able to murder someone as the law doesn't actually say that it applies to foreigners?

AFAIR there now isn't a license class for sub 125 motos. So it would be technically impossible to get such a license.
Yeah, good point...why would the local authorities have to/need to state specifically how the laws apply to foreigners.

So, logic will tell you..yes, it does include foreigners. And yes, you're right there isn't a sub 125 licence here.

But like @Bluenose posted, my previous travel insurance also stated something similar along the lines of
it is possible your insurance policy states you are only covered if you hold a license for the country you are in. Don't give them an excuse to not pay up.
So yeah, depending on how risk averse one is, and how cynical you are about insurance companies, something to be aware of..I think.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Re: The perils of riding a moto?

Post by khmerhamster »

maybe I was just lucky but I had a pretty significant claim after a motorbike accident and the insurance co paid up promptly.
They never asked what type of bike I was riding and if I had a license here it back home (>125cc and I can’t remember for sure but suspect I didn’t yet have a license)
Very few questions asked about the details of the accident, but that does seem pretty lax on their part.
mangorice
Tourist
Australia

Post by mangorice »

HappyChappy wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:24 am So after being here almost a year and spending a silly amount on tuktuks, I've decided that buying a moto it would basically just pay for itself at this stage.

THING IS. I told myself I'd never ride one, I've heard so many horror stories and my spacial awareness isn't fantastic.

HERE'S MY QUESTION: In order to minimise any trouble I may have, what are the perils of riding? What are the main things to look out for? I know not wearing a helmet will get me pulled over real fast, but what else will the cops have me done for? What do I need to know about the trick of the road out here???

Driving reeeeeal slow on the far right of the road is my plan.... Do I need to know anything else???.
Alright, two things here. No riding experience. Poor spatial awareness.

And you want to minimise perils/troubles?

Sorry, the traffic is too complex for you. I don't think it is wise for you to start riding without any proper training.

Otherwise we will see your friend posting in CEO a GoFundMe link because you are in the hospital with life threatening brain injury and/or lost a few limbs, with hospital debt accumulating every minute while you breathe through your tube down your throat.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

mangorice wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:58 pm
HappyChappy wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:24 am
Alright, two things here. No riding experience. Poor spatial awareness.

Sorry, the traffic is too complex for you. I don't think it is wise for you to start riding without any proper training.
You can't say that, you don't know the opp his maturity etc, I had never riden a bike till being in Cambodia, first time riding in PP was 3 up on a scoopy no worry's just follow the traffic, after 19,000 klm around most of Cambodia mostly with two up and luggage on a over 125 cc bike yes had some close calls but at low speed could stop and avoid, I would never ride a bike in Australia the traffic is far to fast and idiots applenty
It's a whole lot safer than taxis touk touks in my opinion, never have I needed to close my eyes and prey when on my bike, unlike being in taxis and buses here.
I class myself as a shit bike rider to be honest but would rather ride my bike than take public transport
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Brody wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:16 pm
pissontheroof wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:12 pm Why do you call it a push bike ? Doesn’t it have any peddles ?
I always use pedals and ride mine .

Lol, I think that's a British / Aussie thing?

I always just called my bicycle a.....................bike. :thumb:
That’s what i mean about americans perfect the language and most everything ,
..why would you push a bicycle unless it had flat tires ?
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

It wasn't too long ago another member was looking for somewhere quiet in the city, so he could learn to ride his motorcycle. Anyone heard how it all turned out for him?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:58 am It wasn't too long ago another member was looking for somewhere quiet in the city, so he could learn to ride his motorcycle. Anyone heard how it all turned out for him?
Don't remember that, but Sundays are very quiet on the road and is the best time to get in some practice.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
BigDee
Expatriate
Australia

Post by BigDee »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:53 am
AndyKK wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:58 am It wasn't too long ago another member was looking for somewhere quiet in the city, so he could learn to ride his motorcycle. Anyone heard how it all turned out for him?
Don't remember that, but Sundays are very quiet on the road and is the best time to get in some practice.
Diamond Island, as soon as you cross the bridge by Naga there is a huge parking lot directly in front of you, I take the GF there to learn clutch.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

ExPenhMan wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:51 pm
lagrange wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:04 pm
Cooldude wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:57 am I've ridden my present bike at home for 31 years and rode the previous bike about 11 years before that. Have had a dirt bike since I was around 9 years old. Have ridden all around SEA on bikes the last 20 years. I don't ride in Phnom Penh and never will. Way too many accidents waiting to happen. The downside here way outweighs anything positive in my opinion. I've never waited more than a few minutes for a Passapp to arrive.
Yep, like I said, I am in SR, not so much traffic, people generally considerate of others, riding here is a pleasure. But like you I would not try it in PP, whenever I am there I get nervous just walking across the road.
Same here. On my beloved (first) Honda AirBlade (I've had 1 in each of KH, TH and VN), I hated crossing Norodom from 172 or 174 (name your street) toward the riverside. Or crossing 19 on 172 or mixing with market traffic on 13 or . . . well you get the picture. But that was way back in 2011-12 when traffic was pretty heavy though not as much as it has become the last few years.

I left PP back in 2012. The last few tourist visits, I was on foot and still uneasy crossing Norodom. The point being, I don't think I'd ride a bike in Phnom Penh ever again. But then again, I'm in my late 60s.
I'm in my early 50's and part of my plan of getting to my late 60's is never getting on a bike under any circumstances.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

BigDee wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:08 am I take the GF there to learn clutch.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic