The perils of riding a moto?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: The perils of riding a moto

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Brody wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:31 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:21 am again dont see how
As in if a non native English speaker was learning and didn't have the background context to the word.

US words tend to be more singular in meaning, ie.......pacifier.........vs dummy? Dummy means stupid as well as a mock-up item where I'm from.........whereas pacifier has a singular meaning.

Same with rubber and eraser

Anyway these discussions never end well.......to each his own......you keep your rubber and I'll be content with eraser.
hahaha yeah i was actually having a similar discussion with some of my khmer friends the other day about it and i was teaching them words that have multiple meanings but also how in British English we have so many different slang words/dialect to describe the same thing, as i was saying even when im speaking English to cambodians (or anyone thats not british) i have to often think about what im saying so people understand me, even people from different parts of England struggle to understand each other sometimes :plus1:
wont derail the thread anymore (sorry OP :D )
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: The perils of riding a moto?

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Cooldude wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:49 am You will soon get bored of having to bicker about the extortionate price every single time you take a tuk tuk or get a xe om. You don't want that.

I've used Grab in Saigon and Vung Tau and use Passapp on an almost daily basis here in Phnom Penh. Always know what the price was/is before confirming the pickup. Sometimes can't believe how cheap it is.
was talking about this last night, i think the best thing about passapp is the fact you dont need to try telling your moto/tuk tuk driver where to go, him taking you but not really knowing where you actually want to go/having to guide them the whole journey
with passapp, i just set my destination jump in, sit back and relax the whole journey and let the satnav guide them
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The perils of riding a moto

Post by Doc67 »

Brody wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:31 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:21 am again dont see how
As in if a non native English speaker was learning and didn't have the background context to the word.

US words tend to be more singular in meaning, ie.......pacifier.........vs dummy? Dummy means stupid as well as a mock-up item where I'm from.........whereas pacifier has a singular meaning.

Same with rubber and eraser

Anyway these discussions never end well.......to each his own......you keep your rubber and I'll be content with eraser.
[changed my mind]
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:33 am

I do wonder how this thread might have gone with a glass half full topic such as ''The advantages of riding a moto?". Would the discussion outcome have been the same? Just a thought..
Bit tedious. Better make it:

'The advantages of riding a moto for inexperienced drivers with little spacious awareness?"
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

When I PassApp I never get in one of those silly Bajaj Indian things. Can’t see anything, cramped, uncomfortable and hot.

Normal tuk tuk every time.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

whatwat wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:17 pm When I PassApp I never get in one of those silly Bajaj Indian things. Can’t see anything, cramped, uncomfortable and hot.

Normal tuk tuk every time.
I avoid those Bajaj Tuk Tuks for the same reasons, the old Moto Tuk Tuks were/are pretty primitive, but at least you could enjoy the view while being conveyed, these new fangled ones give you a view of the ground within a 10 foot radius and that’s it, might as well be traveling in a packing crate.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

mangorice wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:43 am
Khmu Nation wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:33 am Ignore the doomsayers. Get an automatic scooter, low cc and go for it.

The first time I ever rode a scooter, or had ever been on one in fact, was in Hanoi. The day after I first went on it I drove it all the way to Saigon.

That was a decade and a half ago and I have been driving them ever since, mostly in Saigon. I have had an accident yes. But that was entirely my own fault and took place on an empty provincial road.

You need a motorcycle or a scooter. The pavements aren't really walkable and you can't always be getting tuk tuks, xe om, grab bikes, Uber and all that.

You will soon get bored of having to bicker about the extortionate price every single time you take a tuk tuk or get a xe om. You don't want that.

Get a scooter. Be vigilant. Give it a go.

:thumb:
It's PP, not Saigon. Traffic are much more crazier than Saigon. PP have drivers who dont obey the rules, questionable military guys pulling out their pistols and drunk speeding Chinese drivers.
The motorbike accident death rate is higher in Vietnam.

But yeah OP don't ever get a motorcycle. And while you are at it only eat western food you don't want to get sick mate so I urge you only shop at the big western supermarket where you will be able to buy Marmite and ready made yummy Shepherds Pie

Don't bother learning the language either, watch the football every week and of course even though you have made zero effort to assimilate and don't have a single khmer friend or acquaintance (the only only ones you know are bar girls) always grumble about how the place ain't what it was and of course always kick off about being over charged on anything. Demand local rates - especially with tuk tuks as you will be using them several times a day.

:Yahoo!:
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by HappyChappy »

mangorice wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:40 am
atst wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:10 pm
mangorice wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:58 pm
HappyChappy wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:24 am
Alright, two things here. No riding experience. Poor spatial awareness.

Sorry, the traffic is too complex for you. I don't think it is wise for you to start riding without any proper training.
You can't say that, you don't know the opp his maturity etc, I had never riden a bike till being in Cambodia, first time riding in PP was 3 up on a scoopy no worry's just follow the traffic, after 19,000 klm around most of Cambodia mostly with two up and luggage on a over 125 cc bike yes had some close calls but at low speed could stop and avoid, I would never ride a bike in Australia the traffic is far to fast and idiots applenty
It's a whole lot safer than taxis touk touks in my opinion, never have I needed to close my eyes and prey when on my bike, unlike being in taxis and buses here.
I class myself as a shit bike rider to be honest but would rather ride my bike than take public transport
I wrote based on the information he gave. He stated he has no riding experience and has poor spatial awareness.
Everyone has different learning ability and how they react to unexpected incidents and close calls when it comes to riding a motorbike.
Can he swerve around safely and flexibly? Can he brake on reflex if something happens? Does he have enough road experience to know how to respond accordingly?

Maturity may play a part but it plays a small part because we don't know how he will react to unexpected incidents that may result in close calls or a trip to the hospital.

Additionally it depends on where he rides. Some areas of PP is not safe for newbies.

Lastly does he have accident/hospital insurance in case something went wrong?

Whatever the case, it is clear he is making a very risky decision.
Very risky indeed, especially having my health insurance void due to covid.

Swerving - I'm struggling to get to grips with tilting my body while taking a turn, it's actually very hard for me to take a sharp turn.

Breaking, I've had to break last second a few times and I'm comfortable with leading with the rear wheel break and finishing with the front wheel in order to stop it locking. (it's worked, I assume that's why).

Thing is, I've moved to South East Asia for the rest of my life..... I have to give up and get a passapp everywhere I go??? Seems a bit defeatist but there are absolutely large risks involved
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by HappyChappy »

Khmu Nation wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:54 am
mangorice wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:43 am
Khmu Nation wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:33 am Ignore the doomsayers. Get an automatic scooter, low cc and go for it.

The first time I ever rode a scooter, or had ever been on one in fact, was in Hanoi. The day after I first went on it I drove it all the way to Saigon.

That was a decade and a half ago and I have been driving them ever since, mostly in Saigon. I have had an accident yes. But that was entirely my own fault and took place on an empty provincial road.

You need a motorcycle or a scooter. The pavements aren't really walkable and you can't always be getting tuk tuks, xe om, grab bikes, Uber and all that.

You will soon get bored of having to bicker about the extortionate price every single time you take a tuk tuk or get a xe om. You don't want that.

Get a scooter. Be vigilant. Give it a go.

:thumb:
It's PP, not Saigon. Traffic are much more crazier than Saigon. PP have drivers who dont obey the rules, questionable military guys pulling out their pistols and drunk speeding Chinese drivers.
The motorbike accident death rate is higher in Vietnam.

But yeah OP don't ever get a motorcycle. And while you are at it only eat western food you don't want to get sick mate so I urge you only shop at the big western supermarket where you will be able to buy Marmite and ready made yummy Shepherds Pie

Don't bother learning the language either, watch the football every week and of course even though you have made zero effort to assimilate and don't have a single khmer friend or acquaintance (the only only ones you know are bar girls) always grumble about how the place ain't what it was and of course always kick off about being over charged on anything. Demand local rates - especially with tuk tuks as you will be using them several times a day.

:Yahoo!:
Hahaha very well said
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

HappyChappy wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:09 pm Very risky indeed, especially having my health insurance void due to covid.
Is that right? Whilst they may say that they won't cover you for covid/pandemic, I wouldn't have thought that renders the rest of the policy for other conditions null and void?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic