Anyone know a good doctor knowledgable about arthritis-like complications caused by Chikungunya?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Josh_76
Expatriate
Germany

Anyone know a good doctor knowledgable about arthritis-like complications caused by Chikungunya?

Post by Josh_76 »

I started feeling weird last year in April with clear symptoms something was wrong but not developing into fully fledged sickness. Had no idea what this could be. Then, on June 7th, I could no longer walk. That really got my attention.

Had a dengue test at the hospital when I was still in the acute phase and couldn't even sit. By this time, I was pretty certain it was "krong chik" but the doctor told me "Dengue is different in foreigners." Turns out he was wrong in my case, I tested negative.

Weeks of pain when walking followed. When I got up from sitting, I felt like I was partially paralyzed (I still have this, just less intense). I went to the local hospital and the very good doc gave me Corticosteroids, which we both agreed, I would only take for a limited time. Boy, did they make a difference from the 1st pill. I felt about 65% improved & was very happy. However, that was it, I plateau'd out from there and there was no further improvement two weeks later when I stopped taking them.

It's become clear that against my hope some symptoms have become my new normal for now, the worst of which that I lost most of my "knee power", for example, when climbing stairs with a bag or getting into a bus. Certain positions have simply become impossible for me and when lowering myself to the ground, I slow down like an 80 year old (I'm 58, non-smoker - just listing this, as smoking is a risk factor for prolonged chronic symptoms).

Does anyone know any hospital or doctor that have helped them in a similar krong chik situation?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Anyone know a good doctor knowledgable about arthritis-like complications caused by Chikungunya?

Post by Anchor Moy »

There might be someone here who could help you.
ask-the-expats-questions-answers/compet ... 18461.html
All the best, AM
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Re: Anyone know a good doctor knowledgable about arthritis-like complications caused by Chikungunya?

Post by TWY »

My wife had this for a few months. She spent a night at the hospital, and about a week later we returned for follow up (she had tested negative for dengue but doctor's suspected Chik) and she tested positive.

The doctors told her best is to drink as much water as possible. She experienced arthritis like symptoms in her legs and later in her arms/wrists for about 3 months. Its mostly gone now with the exception of one wrist. At times she was definitely borderline miserable.

The doctors she saw were at the Siem Reap Bangkok hospital. They were ok, not experts on this by any stretch but from what they said there simply isn't a lot of research into the disease and no approved therapeutics. The day she spent in the hospital definitely helped to hydrate her body and got rid of a high fever.

She took Augmentin 1GM table twice a day (its an antibiotic - I don't think it did anything for her). Plus Rupan 400mg and Calamine lotion for itching (she had rashes and itching). And Panadol 500 mg (1 tablet every 6 hours) for the pain. I'd say the Panadol helped about 50-60% for a few hours. They had given her something intravenously for pain at the hospital but I forget what it was and its not noted on the hospital bill.

Seems to be hydration and time are your best bets.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

TWY wrote: She took Augmentin 1GM table twice a day (its an antibiotic - I don't think it did anything for her).
That’s a massive dose of antibiotic. Normal dose is about 500mg twice a day I think or possibly 875mg for severe infections. And maybe less if the person weighs only 45-60kgs. But that will only help bacterial infections obviously, not viruses like chik.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

You may like to try eliminating sugar and alcohol. Those who have gout certainly benefit from this as both can be inflammatory.
Josh_76
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Josh_76 »

nemo wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:37 pm You may like to try eliminating sugar and alcohol. Those who have gout certainly benefit from this as both can be inflammatory.
I hardly ever drink and watch the sugar intake but it has no bearing on this condition that's made itself at home.

The thing is, I don't want to just waltz into any hospital and try my luck.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

jah steu wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:19 am
TWY wrote: She took Augmentin 1GM table twice a day (its an antibiotic - I don't think it did anything for her).
That’s a massive dose of antibiotic. Normal dose is about 500mg twice a day I think or possibly 875mg for severe infections. And maybe less if the person weighs only 45-60kgs. But that will only help bacterial infections obviously, not viruses like chik.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure, no point taking antibiotics for viruses in the first place.
But AFAIK, two grams of amoxicillin a day is not excessive for an adult. I'm no doctor, but that's the regular dosage that has been prescribed for me at various times.
Doctors in Cambodia have a very bad habit of prescribing antibiotics for anything and everything, and usually for only a few days which is not long enough to be effective, and increases resistance to antibiotics. No western doctor will ever give you a 2 or 3 day treatment of antibiotics, which is quite common here from my experience.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

I double checked the dosage and that is what she was given. I believe (based on my somewhat hazy memory) the reason was that she had a rather high fever when we went to the hospital and had tested negative for Dengue - but it wouldn't be for another week that she tested positive for Chik - and based on some of the bloodwork they felt there was a small possibility of a bacterial infection.

So while they believed that is what she had when we first went to the hospital, there was no confirmation - I guess the blood test only tells you your positive about 5-7 days after infection. And we returned a week later and had bloodwork done that confirmed she had Chikungunya.
Shazza
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Shazza »

Hi Josh-76,I would take 2 panadol, 500ml each tablet every 4 hours, 2 ibropfin at 200ml each tablet every 6 hours ,and drink plenty of water. Antihistamine tablets are very good as well, they will help with the icthing, do not take the s.r one's (slow release ,the 24 hour one's),they take to long to work. Get a good brand of them, they will help. In Oz, I use a cream called eurax cream, I'm not sure about camdodia, but you can always ask pharmacist, it's in a white and orange tube, brilliant for mozzies, sandflies and bee bites, its got a numming ingredient in it. If you suspect it might be dengue DO NOT take naproson (n saids),you will most likely cause internal bleeding. Hope this helps🤕👍
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Shazza wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:31 am Hi Josh-76,I would take 2 panadol, 500ml each tablet every 4 hours, 2 ibropfin at 200ml each tablet every 6 hours ,and drink plenty of water. Antihistamine tablets are very good as well, they will help with the icthing, do not take the s.r one's (slow release ,the 24 hour one's),they take to long to work. Get a good brand of them, they will help. In Oz, I use a cream called eurax cream, I'm not sure about camdodia, but you can always ask pharmacist, it's in a white and orange tube, brilliant for mozzies, sandflies and bee bites, its got a numming ingredient in it. If you suspect it might be dengue DO NOT take naproson (n saids),you will most likely cause internal bleeding. Hope this helps🤕👍
How about Tiger Balm?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic