British Teacher GARY MOSS, 55, Passed Away in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: British Teacher GARY MOSS, 55, Passed Away in Phnom Penh

Post by armchairlawyer »

You make a very good point Doc. Maybe not the best place to say it.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Gilmore wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:30 am The poster John Bingham is referring to is either myself....
It was you I meant, glad to hear you're good.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Gilmore
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Gilmore »

Thanks for the inquiry, cruefox. Gary and the friend who found him, Frank, watched the Spurs game at Score Bar last Saturday night, as they were both fans. Frank said he appeared quite healthy and was looking forward to teaching again. Things obviously changed rapidly the next day.
The ambulance that refused to take him was from Sunrise, a Japanese owned hospital with a good reputation. The accompanying doctor told Frank they were following government orders. Our school then contacted Calmette, who had no qualms about sending an ambulance with a doctor and attendants, despite being told he had a fairly mild fever. Unfortunately, he was dead when they arrived. There seems to be two conflicting attitudes at the hospitals.
The British Embassy told us they had contacted his children in the UK. He usually arranged for one or more of his kids to visit at Christmas, invariably paying all expenses, but it wasn't possible this year.
The school has already organised monks to perform the usual rituals and chants at the pagoda where his body was taken. We are waiting to hear what arrangements his family want made. All of our staff told me this morning they would like some form of service or remembrance for Gary. I suggested a wake would be culturally most appropriate, but we are waiting to hear from his family, via the Embassy.
I will keep you informed of further developments.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Ambulances refusing to take sick patients because of covid fears does not bode well if there's a serious outbreak here.

It's always sad to read about the death of expats here, especially if they died through no fault of their own (drug abuse etc..)

Condolences to his family and friends.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

xandreu wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:23 pm Ambulances refusing to take sick patients because of covid fears does not bode well if there's a serious outbreak here.

It's always sad to read about the death of expats here, especially if they died through no fault of their own (drug abuse etc..)

Drug addiction is a disease, not a "fault of their own."
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Marty wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:56 pm
xandreu wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:23 pm Ambulances refusing to take sick patients because of covid fears does not bode well if there's a serious outbreak here.

Drug addiction is a disease, not a "fault of their own."
I look at as a fault they chose to pursue. A disease is something you can catch.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Hey guys, This is a thread about Gary passing, so maybe not the best place for your discussion.

RIP, and thoughts to all his friends and coworkers.
cruefox
Tourist
Ireland

Post by cruefox »

Gilmore wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:12 pm Thanks for the inquiry, cruefox. Gary and the friend who found him, Frank, watched the Spurs game at Score Bar last Saturday night, as they were both fans. Frank said he appeared quite healthy and was looking forward to teaching again. Things obviously changed rapidly the next day.
The ambulance that refused to take him was from Sunrise, a Japanese owned hospital with a good reputation. The accompanying doctor told Frank they were following government orders. Our school then contacted Calmette, who had no qualms about sending an ambulance with a doctor and attendants, despite being told he had a fairly mild fever. Unfortunately, he was dead when they arrived. There seems to be two conflicting attitudes at the hospitals.
The British Embassy told us they had contacted his children in the UK. He usually arranged for one or more of his kids to visit at Christmas, invariably paying all expenses, but it wasn't possible this year.
The school has already organised monks to perform the usual rituals and chants at the pagoda where his body was taken. We are waiting to hear what arrangements his family want made. All of our staff told me this morning they would like some form of service or remembrance for Gary. I suggested a wake would be culturally most appropriate, but we are waiting to hear from his family, via the Embassy.
I will keep you informed of further developments.
Thanks for the info Gilmore. My wife and I visited the pagoda this morning and talked to the funeral directors. They are indeed waiting on communication from his family as to where to proceed next. I was talking to one of Gary's sons on social media yesterday and it appeared I was the first person to give him the news. Therefore, I am not at all sure if the Embassy has indeed contacted them. I know that he was rather estranged from his family and I have no evidence of his sons ever visiting, He did in fact tell me he had little knowledge of his fathers life here. Gary does have a young son born here in Cambodia who resides in Kandal province with his mother. Perhaps it is he who visited at Christmas?

I have given his son in England the number of the funeral directors although I have not heard anything from him today. Hopefully they get in contact and we can have some sort of a ceremony for Gary. It is the least he deserves.
cruefox
Tourist
Ireland

Post by cruefox »

His son has now been in contact with the Embassy, so hopefully we can get some kind of a send off for Gary soon.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Condolences to the deceased's friends and family.

Wasn't there another British teacher with the same last name who recently passed away? Related? Not a very common last name I'd imagine.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic