What does it cost to purchase a tuk tuk?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
h0pp3
Tourist

What does it cost to purchase a tuk tuk?

Post by h0pp3 »

Hi guys,

After having a randomly discussion with a friend of mine I've been wondering how much it approximately cost to purchase a tuk tuk in Cambodia? I've already been trying to search Google for a qualified answer, but without any luck. I can only find some prices for scooters etc. The reason behind the interest is that we were trying to figure out how much a tuk tuk driver actually earns per month on average - and how much of an investment a tuk tuk actually is for the locals. However, since we are not in Cambodia currently it's kinda of a hard question to answer by ourselves. Otherwise we would of course just ask our local tuk tuk guy :lol:

Just to be clear here's a picture of the type of tuk tuk we were discussing:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5108/5639 ... 4c68_z.jpg

I sincerly hope any of you could help. Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Thomas
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: What does it cost to purchase a tuk tuk?

Post by General Mackevili »

Paging Stroppy...

He should have an idea.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Around $1600 for a new chariot-style including the moto, not including registration and number plate. Around $650 just for the chariot.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Almost impossible to accurately calculate what they make though as most hire their tuktuk daily from a minor 'boss', or have a loan from a loan shark to pay it off. I had to laugh, the 'drivers' that play cards on our corner were drinking beer and gambling in the back of a tuktuk for breakfast the other day, and then slept off the alcohol for the rest of the day - but had plastered their tuktuks with the new demand-for-minimum-wage stickers.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Depending on which model, about $650 .[ new ] The ones made in Siem Reap appear to be the best ones. Then there is the motorbike. New, anywhere from $1200 up to $2000 for Dream. Best to put the word out that you are after a second hand one, as there are so many in PP some Tuk-tuk drivers earn only $5 to $10 a day. This depends on if they have the English language skills in picking up tourists, or just locals, and of course depends if they are willing to hang around till after midnight to get a customer.,
Should be able to pick up a second hand unite with Daelim moto for around $1,200 to $1500, again depending on condition . My preference is for one with the 110 cc moto and disc brakes.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
h0pp3
Tourist

Post by h0pp3 »

Wow, that was a fast answer guys. Thank you so much.

Haha. Well, I guess that just a common routine among some of them. At least it shouldn't be hard to calculate their "earnings".

In the morning hours when dragging my body home from a late night out I would sometimes hook up with my favourite driver and go grab a few beers at his friend's food stand. Thank good they do start the day early. Good memories though :-)
h0pp3
Tourist

Post by h0pp3 »

@ Duncan

When you say $5 to $10 a day how many customers would you then estimate they have during the day? And would that be without expenses such a gas, loans and maintenance? Just seem strange my friend says they could earn like 400 bucks a month.
Last edited by h0pp3 on Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

h0pp3 wrote:@ Duncan

When you say $5 to $10 a day how many customers would you then estimate they have during the day?
I'm not Duncan, but one or two.
h0pp3
Tourist

Post by h0pp3 »

Haha, you've got a point. Bad formulation on my behalf. Just wanted to know if it was with or without expenses.
Last edited by h0pp3 on Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

How much for one of these jobbers?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic