The Serpent

Streaming video, book reviews, movie requests and more.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Re: The Serpent

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

I probably met you in the pudding shop :beer1:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:46 pm I probably met you in the pudding shop :beer1:
Kabul was paradise, I attended SF art institute with the daughter of the owner of the Intercontinental hotel there and they gave two unshaved , unwashed white people a deluxe room, room service and a private car for a trip to Bamiyan to view the statues

One of the highlights of my trip
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I'm always curious about why serial killers become that way and so, after I watched the series, I googled this from wikipedia:

Early years
Sobhraj was born to Vietnamese shop girl Tran Loan Phung, and Indian Sindhi businessman Sobhraj Hatchand Bhaonani, who was based in Saigon.[5][6] His parents were divorced and his father deserted the family. Stateless at first,[7] Sobhraj was adopted by his mother's new boyfriend, a French Army lieutenant stationed in French Indochina. There he was neglected in favour of the couple's later children. However, Sobhraj continued to move back and forth between Indochina and France with the family.

As a teenager, he began to commit petty crimes and received his first jail sentence (for burglary) in 1963, serving time at Poissy prison near Paris.[8] While imprisoned, Sobhraj eagerly manipulated prison officials into granting him special favours, such as being allowed to keep books in his cell. Around the same time, he met and endeared himself to Felix d'Escogne, a wealthy young man and prison volunteer.[9]

After being paroled, Sobhraj moved in with d'Escogne and spent his time moving between the high society of Paris and the criminal underworld. He began accumulating riches through a series of burglaries and scams. During this time, Sobhraj met and began a passionate relationship with Chantal Compagnon, a young Parisian woman from a conservative family. Sobhraj proposed marriage to Compagnon, but was arrested later the same day for attempting to evade police while driving a stolen vehicle. He was sentenced to eight months in prison, yet Chantal remained supportive throughout the entirety of his sentence. Sobhraj and Chantal were wed upon his release.[10]

Sobhraj, along with a pregnant Chantal, left France in 1970 for Asia to escape arrest. After travelling through Eastern Europe with fake documents, robbing tourists whom they befriended along the way, Sobhraj arrived in Mumbai later the same year. Here, Chantal gave birth to a baby girl, Usha. In the meantime, Sobhraj resumed his criminal lifestyle, running a car theft and smuggling operation. Sobhraj's growing profits went towards his budding gambling addiction.[10]
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:05 pm
tightenupvolume1 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:46 pm I probably met you in the pudding shop :beer1:
Kabul was paradise, I attended SF art institute with the daughter of the owner of the Intercontinental hotel there and they gave two unshaved , unwashed white people a deluxe room, room service and a private car for a trip to Bamiyan to view the statues

One of the highlights of my trip
was that before you met charles sobraji at a party in Bangkok or after ?
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:20 pm I'm always curious about why serial killers become that way and so, after I watched the series, I googled this from wikipedia:

Early years
Sobhraj was born to Vietnamese shop girl Tran Loan Phung, and Indian Sindhi businessman Sobhraj Hatchand Bhaonani, who was based in Saigon.[5][6] His parents were divorced and his father deserted the family. Stateless at first,[7] Sobhraj was adopted by his mother's new boyfriend, a French Army lieutenant stationed in French Indochina. There he was neglected in favour of the couple's later children. However, Sobhraj continued to move back and forth between Indochina and France with the family.

As a teenager, he began to commit petty crimes and received his first jail sentence (for burglary) in 1963, serving time at Poissy prison near Paris.[8] While imprisoned, Sobhraj eagerly manipulated prison officials into granting him special favours, such as being allowed to keep books in his cell. Around the same time, he met and endeared himself to Felix d'Escogne, a wealthy young man and prison volunteer.[9]

After being paroled, Sobhraj moved in with d'Escogne and spent his time moving between the high society of Paris and the criminal underworld. He began accumulating riches through a series of burglaries and scams. During this time, Sobhraj met and began a passionate relationship with Chantal Compagnon, a young Parisian woman from a conservative family. Sobhraj proposed marriage to Compagnon, but was arrested later the same day for attempting to evade police while driving a stolen vehicle. He was sentenced to eight months in prison, yet Chantal remained supportive throughout the entirety of his sentence. Sobhraj and Chantal were wed upon his release.[10]

Sobhraj, along with a pregnant Chantal, left France in 1970 for Asia to escape arrest. After travelling through Eastern Europe with fake documents, robbing tourists whom they befriended along the way, Sobhraj arrived in Mumbai later the same year. Here, Chantal gave birth to a baby girl, Usha. In the meantime, Sobhraj resumed his criminal lifestyle, running a car theft and smuggling operation. Sobhraj's growing profits went towards his budding gambling addiction.[10]
There are several books on him, I read "serpentine" in the late 70s supposedly one of the better ones. I thought it was a great read I just dug it out and I may well read it again
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:20 pm I'm always curious about why serial killers become that way and so, after I watched the series, I googled this from wikipedia:
Apparently his mother was quite abusive with him when he wet the bed, could have been a factor too. I found this documentary interesting to watch after the series, and there are a few others on YouTube too.

tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

I think they came to the conclusion a long time ago that there is no common denominator for serial killers
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:55 pm I think they came to the conclusion a long time ago that there is no common denominator for serial killers
We're only talking about one of them.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:41 pm

Early years

There are several books on him, I read "serpentine" in the late 70s supposedly one of the better ones. I thought it was a great read I just dug it out and I may well read it again
[No torrent links, thanks.]
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There's another one from 1979 called " On the Trail of the Serpent: The Life and Crimes of Charles Sobhraj" written by Richard Neville (and Julie Clarke) who created Oz magazine. It comes from a series of interviews the author conducted with him in prison, and is rather sympathetic towards him. The new book is an updated version.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic