Canada to Cambodia money transfer

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
hellohi
Tourist
Cameroon

Re: Canada to Cambodia money transfer

Post by hellohi »

how much are the Worldremit fees? Are you looking for the cheapest method or most convenient?
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

hellohi wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:58 am how much are the Worldremit fees? Are you looking for the cheapest method or most convenient?
Worldremit fees were reasonable per transaction but it doesn’t show what the banks on either will want so it not totally clear
It’s limit on amounts <$1300 CDN doesn’t suit my needs so it became a moot point.
If I had to make multiple transactions at this low limit surely the buildup of fees would not be economical
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

World remit will only send to Wing from what I see (I usually checked their website as had never heard of them). Just use IBAN/SWIFT code. All major banks will transfer, it'll work out cheaper if transferring 10k+.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:03 am World remit will only send to Wing from what I see (I usually checked their website as had never heard of them). Just use IBAN/SWIFT code. All major banks will transfer, it'll work out cheaper if transferring 10k+.
Yes, I think you’re correct.
I was hoping to find someone who had already done this.
hellohi
Tourist
Cameroon

Post by hellohi »

It wasn't that much from what I remember. Assuming you are transferring from USD Account from TD to Canadia, $30cad for the outgoing wire. $10 (or $20usd?) usd for the intermediary. And $10usd for incoming wire at Canadia. I don't recommend using the bank rates if you also need to convert cad/usd.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

hellohi wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:07 pm It wasn't that much from what I remember. Assuming you are transferring from USD Account from TD to Canadia, $30cad for the outgoing wire. $10 (or $20usd?) usd for the intermediary. And $10usd for incoming wire at Canadia. I don't recommend using the bank rates if you also need to convert cad/usd.
You’re assumptions are wrong ... I made my situation clear in the opening question .... but thanks for your input, they might be useful for someone else.
hellohi
Tourist
Cameroon

Post by hellohi »

Yes there was no problem giving swift codes to the bank. Wires are the cheapest way for large amounts. For smaller amounts, I use TransferWise.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

hellohi wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:58 pm Yes there was no problem giving swift codes to the bank. Wires are the cheapest way for large amounts. For smaller amounts, I use TransferWise.
Thanks for your advice, I appreciate the feedback. Danny
Tom G Baal
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Tom G Baal »

I have used Swift to transfer from Canada to Canadia in the past. Make sure you fill out the form with the Canadia staff, as the account number in your passbook is not the complete account number. Also confirm the intermediary transfer bank every year or so, to make sure it is still the same.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Tom G Baal wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:19 am I have used Swift to transfer from Canada to Canadia in the past. Make sure you fill out the form with the Canadia staff, as the account number in your passbook is not the complete account number. Also confirm the intermediary transfer bank every year or so, to make sure it is still the same.
I was at my Canadia branch yesterday and they filled out the form for me ..... I see the list of intermediary banks ..... I notice there are no banks specific to Canada ..... did you just send the entire list to your bank manager in Canada and they chose since they need to send US dollars ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic