Riel only pricing directive?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
chinesetakeaway
Expatriate
Niue

Riel only pricing directive?

Post by chinesetakeaway »

I noticed that lucky is switching their pricing to Riel only as opposed to showing $/riel. Is this from the top?
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Riel only pricing directive?

Post by Bluenose »

It's actually been law for at least three years that prices should be in Riel first/most prominently but like many laws here... But, yes, the checkout seemed to use the Riel as the base for the first time yesterday.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

chinesetakeaway wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:14 pm I noticed that lucky is switching their pricing to Riel only as opposed to showing $/riel. Is this from the top?
I gave up on their shops years ago because nothing had a price on it, they just had random prices of (often different products) on the shelves.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Yea, lucky at rattana plaza is riel only pricing now
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

Soriya wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:02 am Yea, lucky at rattana plaza is riel only pricing now
The ice-cream came up in English and the 50% off milk only in Khmer....straight to the 50 % price in riel too without the regular price....
Am going to have to keep an extra eye out now.... Shop there a lot so will keep you updated...
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

Milk discounted to $2.15 on the container but rung up as 8900 riel on the bill (which is hard to see)....
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Patcan wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:01 pm Milk discounted to $2.15 on the container but rung up as 8900 riel on the bill (which is hard to see)....
Thats a high exchange rate, around 4200 riel to the $
Beeznus
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Beeznus »

Surely this is hadly an issue when speaking of sub 10k riel purchases...oh also this post prompted my first ever post!
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

Beeznus wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:07 pm Surely this is hadly an issue when speaking of sub 10k riel purchases...oh also this post prompted my first ever post!
Normally I go to Lucky almost every day....largely for the exercise too.... But mainly for the 50% and 70 % off sales.....My purchases normally average between 5-15$ per visit...
In the past they got it right 90 % of the time...Floor managers had to come over last year (often via walkie talkies) to key in the purchases...
seems to be easier ro key in discounted pruces for regular tellers now.... But as with all new applications, check the figures on the bill before leaving.... I normally spot the mistakes on the screen before handing overmy money but this coulf be a lot more difficult now
Beeznus
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Beeznus »

It’s still only 20-60k purchases... hardly worth the worry ...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic