Building a Tiny House

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Building a Tiny House

Post by timmydownawell »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:20 am 4kw is pretty big, but it obviously gives great energy savings. I've heard it still takes 10+ years to recoup costs )at which point new batteries are needed), but I like the idea of energy semi-independemce, plus coats are always going down.
I think if I went 100% solar, a 2 to 2.4kW system would be fine. I ran my numbers through this website: https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/tools.html#PVP

It said I'd run out of battery juice on 6% of days or something so I upped the panels to 3.2kW which is overkill, and 9.6kWh of LiFePO4 batteries, with the panels producing twice as much power as I'd need in the sunniest months (i.e. now/winter, when I hardly need the AC), although it'd drop me to just three days a year with flat batteries. The problem with these calculators is they assume your monthly average use is the same throughout the year which is ofc not true.

Anyway 3.2kW is ridiculous. I added the Phnom Penh rainfall to show how it relates to the reduced output during the rainy season.

Energy Output is me using 6.7kWh/day
Energy Lost is power produced but unused

Even at this level of overengineering I estimate the system would cost around $3500, maybe a little more.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:20 am Cool! I'm probably mistaken then. Would be the very Cambodian thing to do (allow it, but conveniently not compensate people who actively contribute energy to the grid, despite energy shortages). I know NGR, they seem like a good company and quite professional, though I've never dealt with them personally (I've met some of their staff).

4kw is pretty big, but it obviously gives great energy savings. I've heard it still takes 10+ years to recoup costs )at which point new batteries are needed), but I like the idea of energy semi-independemce, plus coats are always going down.
Its for a medium sized office building. I think back when buying it i worked out a c. 6.5 year payback for us. But i don't have any batteries.
But we would run the aircon more these days than previous so your usage habits do change a little.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

khmerhamster wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:13 pm
AndyKK wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:33 pm Quote - there's no system in Cambodia for EDC to pay you for power you feed in. "Off grid system" can still be connected to the grid, but doesn't feed in to grid.
I remember sometime back when a Chinese factory owner asking if he could go solar, mainly because of the power cuts, then obviously it's tool's down stop work. He I seem to remember asking HE to intervene, HE replied it not really being his business to do so, but the outcome was the owner would set up the system, cost $1million, but the electric company would loss the money he would have paid for the electric per month. I think the outcome was the owner could go on solar at his own expense but still pay half of what his monthly bill would have been to EDC.
I don’t understand this at all. Why would they need to get permission? My office uses 75% of its power sourced from solar. I didn’t tell EDC, I just started using less mains power once installed.
Hopefully if the CEOcambodianNEWS sees this they may find the news story I am taking about. Yes there's no way anyone can put back into the grid and get paid for the electric.
But what I was saying about the factory, was the owner was making a point with the power cuts, the factory was not working efficiently.
So he was going to install solar, but the electric company would then be on a loss, so they wanted compansation for part loss.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

khmerhamster wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:42 am sized office building. I think back when buying it i worked out a c. 6.5 year payback for us. But i don't have any batteries.
But we would run the aircon more these days than previous so your usage habits do change a little.
No batteries? So just panels with an inverter connected to power line? I suppose for an office it makes total sense as peak usage will be during the day. Any ACs in use during the day (if so, how many?) to get your cost reduction of 75%?

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:18 am I think if I went 100% solar, a 2 to 2.4kW system would be fine. I ran my numbers through this website: https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/tools.html#PVP

It said I'd run out of battery juice on 6% of days or something so I upped the panels to 3.2kW which is overkill, and 9.6kWh of LiFePO4 batteries, with the panels producing twice as much power as I'd need in the sunniest months (i.e. now/winter, when I hardly need the AC), although it'd drop me to just three days a year with flat batteries. The problem with these calculators is they assume your monthly average use is the same throughout the year which is ofc not true.

Anyway 3.2kW is ridiculous. I added the Phnom Penh rainfall to show how it relates to the reduced output during the rainy season.

Even at this level of overengineering I estimate the system would cost around $3500, maybe a little more.
Do you ever use AC? I'm guessing not? Cool website.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

AndyKK wrote:
khmerhamster wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:13 pm
AndyKK wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:33 pm Quote - there's no system in Cambodia for EDC to pay you for power you feed in. "Off grid system" can still be connected to the grid, but doesn't feed in to grid.
I remember sometime back when a Chinese factory owner asking if he could go solar, mainly because of the power cuts, then obviously it's tool's down stop work. He I seem to remember asking HE to intervene, HE replied it not really being his business to do so, but the outcome was the owner would set up the system, cost $1million, but the electric company would loss the money he would have paid for the electric per month. I think the outcome was the owner could go on solar at his own expense but still pay half of what his monthly bill would have been to EDC.
I don’t understand this at all. Why would they need to get permission? My office uses 75% of its power sourced from solar. I didn’t tell EDC, I just started using less mains power once installed.
Hopefully if the CEOcambodianNEWS sees this they may find the news story I am taking about. Yes there's no way anyone can put back into the grid and get paid for the electric.
But what I was saying about the factory, was the owner was making a point with the power cuts, the factory was not working efficiently.
So he was going to install solar, but the electric company would then be on a loss, so they wanted compansation for part loss.
I'd love to see that story as it still makes no sense to me. Nobody is obliged to buy any amount of electricity from EDC. You simply pay for what you use. If your needs reduce then you simply pay less.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:
khmerhamster wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:42 am sized office building. I think back when buying it i worked out a c. 6.5 year payback for us. But i don't have any batteries.
No batteries? So just panels with an inverter connected to power line? I suppose for an office it makes total sense as peak usage will be during the day. Any ACs in use during the day (if so, how many?) to get your cost reduction of 75%?

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:18 am I think if I went 100% solar, a 2 to 2.4kW system would be fine. I ran my numbers through this website: https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/tools.html#PVP

Do you ever use AC? I'm guessing not? Cool website.
I have at least 2 1.5HP A/C and about 10 desktop computers running during office hours. There are other meeting rooms with A/C but they are used maybe only for a couple of hours each day. CCTV runs 24/7.
All LED lights so use little energy for that, i have couple of water coolers/heaters plus all my staff charge their phones/tablets/laptops during office hours.
I also have an electric water pump used every 3 days to fill the rooftop water tank.
I think that's it.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Uh , I hate giving good advice but a friend in america 🇺🇸 knows I read this ( not this topic tho ) he wanted me to say this :
If you want to add a comment to this, tell them to use a 20 foot container. You can buy wheel kits for them, and they are already classed as containers so permits should not be a problem. You can cut as many windows as you need. The damn things are very strong since they’re designed for trucking and even stacked on ships.

Or you could use a 40 foot one but that wouldn’t be a small house.

Made on an iPad, a product of China.
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Anyway just coming back to this. As is insidious the nature of FB, they offered up an ad for this company which sells used prefabricated, well, I'd call them site offices because that's what I think they're usually used for, at least in the west. According to one of the comments they range from $950-$1200. They're 3 x 6m and 2.7m high. Chuck a couple together and hello 36sqm tiny house!

Something to consider.

Links: FB https://www.facebook.com/delasimobilehouse/ and website: https://www.delasi.top/

SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Yuk!
Sorry, i have never been to prison, not a real one anyway. but i think they are better than that. ^^^
An Australian refugee camp maybe?
(sorry, i'm being honest)
In Cambodia? Why...
or Oz.

I have lived in mining camps in these, with all support including diesel aircon 24/7.
The united nations human rights committee still closed it down. Horrible, you only do it because they pay you thousands of dollars a week to endure it.

Tim - you deserve better
something a bit less brutal
(imo only)
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:13 pm Yuk!
Sorry, i have never been to prison, not a real one anyway. but i think they are better than that. ^^^
An Australian refugee camp maybe?
LOL I think you took that a bit too literally. These would be the basic building blocks. I'd add a fitted kitchen and bathroom, separate bedroom, built in wardrobes/storage. Improve the wall finishes. Probably vinyl flooring, because the units would ultimately still be relocatable and tiles would crack. Add a deck to the back next to the pool. You get the picture now?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic