Building a Tiny House

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Building a Tiny House

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Any link to these direct solar ACs? As mentioned, you can't see back to the grid here, so I'm assuming this is abroad, but very interesting nonetheless.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:41 pm Any link to these direct solar ACs? As mentioned, you can't see back to the grid here, so I'm assuming this is abroad, but very interesting nonetheless.
Here's one of teh hybrid AC/DC ones: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 79098.html

Actually I don't think these do feed power back into the grid. And in fact, if you lose power from the grid they might stop operating altogether. In any case feeding power into the grid without a proper system could potentially kill someone working on the lines. So I might go back to considering a standalone, small solar system with battery solely for AC use.

And here's a 48V DC-only one if you're completely offgrid: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 35933.html

More on Alibaba.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:54 pm On the downside, I have seen what happens when a septic tank is not correctly constructed. All I'm saying is that you should make sure that you have it all worked out in advance, because when your septic tank overloads - it overloads. Believe me. :bad:

Perhaps I was lucky, but I never had any problems with the sewage systems at my little hotels, even with many guests pooping/peeing! I had many other problems, but never with the septic tank systems :) My septic tank system here in north Laos seems fine also (I didn't install it).
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

They'll steal your fence and security cameras as well mate
When I lived in Yangon, all the external filament lightbulbs had little metal cages with padlocks on them 'cos otherwise they would disappear in the middle of the night!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

timmydownawell wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:49 pm
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:41 pm Any link to these direct solar ACs? As mentioned, you can't see back to the grid here, so I'm assuming this is abroad, but very interesting nonetheless.
Here's one of teh hybrid AC/DC ones: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 79098.html

Actually I don't think these do feed power back into the grid. And in fact, if you lose power from the grid they might stop operating altogether. In any case feeding power into the grid without a proper system could potentially kill someone working on the lines. So I might go back to considering a standalone, small solar system with battery solely for AC use.

And here's a 48V DC-only one if you're completely offgrid: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 35933.html

More on Alibaba.
That's pretty interesting. I wonder how good they are or whether any Khmer businesses will import them. I don't get the logic behind them: why not just get a battery system and have them feed off that as normal? I mean if you have enough panels, you wouldn't drain the batteries as all during peak hours 12-3 or so. Is it to cut costs? Or does using batteries for AC cycle them too much and shorten the batteries' lifespans significantly? I imagine they'd cool down but a lot less than normal AC.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:49 am
timmydownawell wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:49 pm

More on Alibaba.
That's pretty interesting. I wonder how good they are or whether any Khmer businesses will import them. I don't get the logic behind them: why not just get a battery system and have them feed off that as normal? I mean if you have enough panels, you wouldn't drain the batteries as all during peak hours 12-3 or so. Is it to cut costs? Or does using batteries for AC cycle them too much and shorten the batteries' lifespans significantly? I imagine they'd cool down but a lot less than normal AC.
It's a way of reducing your grid power bill without investing a lot. Free AC during the sunny hours and the benefit of still being able to use it at night. LiFePO4 battery prices are coming down now especially if you buy direct from Alibaba.

As for their efficiency, a 12000 BTU AC is a 12000 BTU AC regardless if it's powered by 230V or 48V.

Most air conditioners have their capacity rated in British thermal units (BTU). A BTU is the amount of heat necessary to raise the temperature of 1 pound (0.45 kilograms) of water one degree Fahrenheit (0.56 degrees Celsius). ... In heating and cooling terms, one ton equals 12,000 BTU.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Thanks for the reply. For some reason I was assuming they ONLY relying on solar, but upon reading more closely they obviously don't. So the AC will always work at full capacity/cooling power (as it also draws from the grid). However, during the hottest time of day, it'll draw maybe 10-90% from solar (depending how many panels you've got), which would still make a dent in the EDC bill. Obviously at night: full cost. Really interesting as I'm slowly researching some of this stuff as I'm planning on building my dream home in a year or so. I knew I wanted solar as I've got a friend who is basically off-grid (and I like the independence aspect since the power outages in past years have actually increased). However, AC is by far the biggest power sucker, and having enough batteries/panels to make them work isn't cost effective.

My only issue is these Alibaba Chinese ones is spare parts/reliability. Why don't Samsung/LG/Daikin and so forth make these as well? Surely they do?

So a good idea would be a dual system:
-Basic solar/battery system for lights/general appliances (lights/fridge). So you can basically run mostly off-grid if needed/power cuts.
-Direct Solar AC to reduce main costs (but no AC if power cuts)

That would seem like an ideal solution, or rather a more cost effective one. I'm still confused about the ratings: 9000btus would be like a 1hp/1.5hp unit? They generally describe them by HP here vs wattage or BTUs. Combined with my general ignorance of electronics, I'm easily confused.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Important to note that the on grid systems (using solar and edc) will not work if there is a power cut. It needs an AC trickle to operate and if there is a power cut then the whole thing shuts down.
I dont know why... Explained to me as a safety feature. But i also am easily confused about electrics.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

khmerhamster wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:35 pm Important to note that the on grid systems (using solar and edc) will not work if there is a power cut. It needs an AC trickle to operate and if there is a power cut then the whole thing shuts down.
I dont know why... Explained to me as a safety feature. But i also am easily confused about electrics.
The terms are misleading. "On grid system" means it can feed into the grid, but there's no system in Cambodia for EDC to pay you for power you feed in. "Off grid system" can still be connected to the grid, but doesn't feed in to grid. So here you'd get an "off grid" hybrid inverter and batteries and can run on that and it would only use grid power when you're not producing solar and your batteries get low. In this case if the grid goes down you'd only know if you have no sun + flat batteries.

The on grid ones you lose power if you have no batteries and the grid goes down. It's so that you can't feed power to the grid during a planned outage/line work etc and kill someone.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:03 pm Thanks for the reply. For some reason I was assuming they ONLY relying on solar, but upon reading more closely they obviously don't. So the AC will always work at full capacity/cooling power (as it also draws from the grid). However, during the hottest time of day, it'll draw maybe 10-90% from solar (depending how many panels you've got), which would still make a dent in the EDC bill. Obviously at night: full cost. Really interesting as I'm slowly researching some of this stuff as I'm planning on building my dream home in a year or so. I knew I wanted solar as I've got a friend who is basically off-grid (and I like the independence aspect since the power outages in past years have actually increased). However, AC is by far the biggest power sucker, and having enough batteries/panels to make them work isn't cost effective.

My only issue is these Alibaba Chinese ones is spare parts/reliability. Why don't Samsung/LG/Daikin and so forth make these as well? Surely they do?

So a good idea would be a dual system:
-Basic solar/battery system for lights/general appliances (lights/fridge). So you can basically run mostly off-grid if needed/power cuts.
-Direct Solar AC to reduce main costs (but no AC if power cuts)

That would seem like an ideal solution, or rather a more cost effective one. I'm still confused about the ratings: 9000btus would be like a 1hp/1.5hp unit? They generally describe them by HP here vs wattage or BTUs. Combined with my general ignorance of electronics, I'm easily confused.
12000 BTU = 1HP I think.

But yes, having a solar setup that runs your essential stuff is a good compromise.

Nothing stopping you buying a 230V regular AC and running it off the inverter. Slightly less efficient, but if you're going to have an inverter for all your other stuff you'd get peace of mind not splashing out for a 48V AC which, as you say, might have limited (if any) support here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic