Where to buy a new mattress

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Where to buy a new mattress

Post by Doc67 »

Ha Ha yes, I've worn it out...

I am looking for places to buy a new one. I know of Global House Cambodia, near Makro, which has a good selection but I am not sure if their prices are any good. They seemed a bit on the expensive side.

Anyone know of shops a bit closer to Daun Penh?

As always, many thanks in advance...
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Where to buy a new mattress

Post by armchairlawyer »

Monivong, just north of 174 on the western side, there is a line of mattress shops. Most have Heng in their name. Don't be shy to lie on a few to check them out.You can probably knock them down on price 10% ish (assuming they are being reasonable). $120 should get you a decent king-sized.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

armchairlawyer wrote:Monivong, just north of 174 on the western side, there is a line of mattress shops. Most have Heng in their name. Don't be shy to lie on a few to check them out.You can probably knock them down on price 10% ish (assuming they are being reasonable). $120 should get you a decent king-sized.
That's where I've bought a few as well. From quite cheap to really expensive. One shop has rolled up carpeting/fake green grass on the outside. They're the biggest.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Let us know where you end up going Doc.

I'm in the market for a new mattress as well.

The last two I bought ended up kind of collapsing in the middle and turning into a taco shell after not too long.

I think it's time to plonk down some serious money for a good quality mattress this time.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i used to sleep on those shit $150 mattresses that after a year you roll to the center<
Brought a good Sealy Posturepedic queen for around $450 and it was as good as new 10 years later...
PLUS my back thanked me for it,

as ur spending up to 1/3rd or so of ur life in bed, why be cheap?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

When I was in my own country, my bed was a very important item, of a luxury mattress and bedding, quilt and pillows of down, that kind of thing.
The last 4 years or more, I prefer to sleep on the tiled floor because it is cool.
I have the Thai type of ribbed mattress if I want to be b a little more comfortable. But mostly I lay down on the tiles. Saving the comfort when I visit places, and use hotels with aircon.

You may have conciderations on this Thai type, even for a mattress topper. King size was around the $90 mark.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

armchairlawyer wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:28 pm Monivong, just north of 174 on the western side, there is a line of mattress shops. Most have Heng in their name. Don't be shy to lie on a few to check them out.You can probably knock them down on price 10% ish (assuming they are being reasonable). $120 should get you a decent king-sized.

Can vouch for this zone too - purchased a queen size Dunlopillow mattress in a shop along that strip years back, from memory it was about $300 US and they delivered it to our place.

Used it for several years and when we left Cambodia we sent it out to the in-laws place in the province.

I was really glad to reacquaint myself with it Dec 2019/Jan 2020 when we visited again - it held up well.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

if you sleep on the floor, try one of those fishing-line mattresses
they should be ideal for the climate, and athletes swear by them:
https://www.airweave.com/pages/athletes ... mattresses

in fact they were to be used for the tokyo olympics:
https://www.herald.ng/athletes-tokyo-2020/

then again, what were they thinking?
i understand the olympics are a giant orgy
cardboard beds won't go the mile

monstra mihi bona!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Missus got a latex mattresses when she was still living in Phnom Penh. Very bouncy and comfortable. Probably being enjoyed by the family back in the province by now.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:41 pm Missus got a latex mattress... Very bouncy and comfortable....
NKOTB, I'm still trying to work out whether you are blissfully naive, or if you do these kinds of things deliberately. :popcorn:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic