Do you have a recommendation where Khmer wife can learn English in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Do you have a recommendation where Khmer wife can learn English in Phnom Penh?

Post by armchairlawyer »

TALK School of English has good videos designed for Khmers learning English.
https://web.facebook.com/TALKCambodia
Kohker
BANNED
Austria

Re: Do you have a recommendation where Khmer wife can learn English in Phnom Penh?

Post by Kohker »

Self edit,went a bit to far.
Last edited by Kohker on Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Kohker wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:48 am Nothing wrong with a bit of mockery now and then, anyway good luck to the OP and all the other's that choose to marry ignorant illiterate rice farmers daughter's.
Absolutely.

It's a perfect way to encourage new membership and encourage those members to make posts.

The OP is a new poster, making a post about his significant other whom he is obviously committed to seeing as they've already visited his home country.

He's trying to set her up for success by honing her English skills before they move permanently.

Kohker, you're talking about this mans wife or soon to be wife.

I'm sure, face to face, if you referred to someones wife as ignorant and illiterate you'd probably have a foot up your ass pdq.

I should take a gentler tone though as I detect some projection from Kohker.....he's probably struggling through some tough times with his own ignorant, illiterate rice farmers daughter.

Tosser
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

armchairlawyer wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:37 am TALK School of English has good videos designed for Khmers learning English.
The guy who started TALK school, Sovann Mao, was my neighbor for several years. Great guy with an amazing level of English.
Most Khmer who speak English well have usually spent some time abroad, so I was surprised when he told me that he's never been abroad. He was a country boy who was determined to make something of himself.
Sovann is the guy in the videos.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Username Taken wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:38 am
armchairlawyer wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:37 am TALK School of English has good videos designed for Khmers learning English.
The guy who started TALK school, Sovann Mao, was my neighbor for several years. Great guy with an amazing level of English.
Most Khmer who speak English well have usually spent some time abroad, so I was surprised when he told me that he's never been abroad. He was a country boy who was determined to make something of himself.
Sovann is the guy in the videos.
My gf has got on well with his videos. She used to study at a school but reached the point where she knew more than the teacher (by combining class study with video study). Sovann is a great teacher.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

IraHayes wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:48 pm I wouldn't bother.
Moving to NZ next year? If that, at the max, means Dec 21 then thats 12 months of studying.
Couple this with her ability to learn, which you don't mention btw, could mean she either won't learn much at worst, or she'll improve a little (best case scenario).
And then we have the pitfalls of not just finding the right school but one with a decent teacher.

So, this leaves me wondering a few things:-

- what is her level of education and what was her previous job?
- when was she last in a classroom or what was the most recent thing she learned that she had never done before?
- what amount of English is spoken by her each day?
- what is her current vocabulary at? Vocab is crucial and I can explain why if need be but are you able to estimate her level/number of words she can understand?
- Are you able to assess her rate and preferred style of learning? (linked to point 2)
Your recommendation is a bit silly. While I agree that if she's leaving in one or two months it might not be worth it, 6-12 months is A LOT of time. If she just sat at home and did nothing structured to improve her language skills, it would be wasted time. At least in a school or with a tutor she can learn new vocabulary and hone her current knowledge. Although you can't always get a ton of speaking practice in a non-immersed setting, it still provides you with an opportunity to speak, learn vocabulary and grammar in a structured manner. Every language I've learned in a school setting ended up helping me/paying off once I got to the country that spoke it later on. A few months WILL make a difference.

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:02 amIt’s really hit or miss. Depends on the teacher. She wouldn’t let me spend thousands a year sending her to a school that only has the professional teachers.

Now in the process of her ‘unlearning’ stuff. Football is played on a field, everyone get in a line, food is ‘to go’ or ‘take out’, and there is only math.
I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek as some of your gripes and questions at the time were a bit clueless. At first you wanted to enroll her into ISPP, which is a high school and NOT a language school (and apparently you still think so?).

I also think you focus on the wrong things: football can be played on a pitch OR a field. It's not strictly speaking a mistake. Just like you might find different spellings for words like "colour" or pronunciation for words such as "aluminum", English is pretty diverse... She might have learned a few British or Australian colloquialisms rather than American ones, which is not entirely bad. Sure, you need to explain that where you live you say X or Y, but if you're watching a movie it might help her understand words which are commonly used in other countries.
kambokiwi wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:24 am Thanks for all the replies. I did search both here and 440 but hadn’t seen anything that would help us but will definitely look out for the thread by Newkidontheblock now I know. (Update: Just found the ‘ACE craziness’ thread, thanks)

We lived in Aus/NZ for 6 months last year which helped her a lot but also made her realise that living there full time would mean learning more is worthwhile. She had a tutor before we went which helped but they are no longer available. I’ve checked out ACE but that looks a little formal for her needs (happy to be corrected if people think it’s worth it). She only really wants a couple of hours a day, 2 or 3 times a week. Nothing too serious but enough to make a difference.

She does watch a lot of english stuff on YouTube and funnily enough finds the children’s cartoons best for learning new words, I guess because she’s only at that level for now. Her level is very basic but we speak english to each other every day and I understand her fine but know that not everyone has the experience or patience we expats do to give them a break when they don’t speak perfectly. Her english is much better than my Khmer and anything she learns will help her once we move. We would be there already if it wasn’t for COVID so we’re now just waiting for the international borders to reopen without having to quarantine and then we’ll be on the move.
My wife went to ACE and it was 3 times per week. She enjoyed it overall (started before meeting me, so just did two final levels after we'd met), but as you can imagine, it depended on the teachers. There was one woman she didn't like at all (an obvious backpacker style girl or something), but others she really liked and learned a lot from. Most schools will have a similar schedule, and you need time at home to study, so an "every day" school probably isn't the best option anyways. At your wife's level, I think she would have a Khmer teacher though (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but might make her pick up some occasional weird idiosyncrasies).

I suggest enquiring in N-Z about schools for immigrants. I know that where I'm from, immigrants can get free language lessons for quite a while. So it's worth finding out so that when she does come over, she can be totally immersed by speaking at home AND building grammar/vocabulary in a more formal school setting. Mentally draining, but her English would likely improve exponentially on top of whatever base she gets before heading over.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
kambokiwi
Tourist
New Zealand

Post by kambokiwi »

Kohker wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:48 am Nothing wrong with a bit of mockery now and then, anyway good luck to the OP and all the other's that choose to marry ignorant illiterate rice farmers daughter's.
Fuck off wanker, your sexist racist derogatory comments are not welcome.
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

Kohker wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:12 am
khmerhamster wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:06 am
Kohker wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:58 am
IraHayes wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:35 am
Kohker wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:14 am

Must be some amazing conversations in that relationship, the mouse eat the cheese,that one tom that one jerry he funny.
You yet eat rice😂😂😂
Mocking those learning a new skill or subject is, not only rude, but shows your ignorance and lack of understanding of how people learn.
I wasn't mocking the act of learning I was mocking them,thanks.
I read it as mockery of the wider situation of several cross nationality couples whom neither speak the other language to any degree.
The result is often a nonsense basic, pidgen English/Khmer hybrid is spoken. Which perpetuates the issue as no real learning will take place as long as communication is maintained like this.

‘When I play Facebook already, where we go honey?’
Well said,much better then my attempt.👌
*than
Kohker wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:48 am Self edit,went a bit to far.
*too

you aren’t that smart, are you?
Kohker
BANNED
Austria

Post by Kohker »

kambokiwi wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:21 am
You forgot trans,Islamic, phobic.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kohker wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:40 am
kambokiwi wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:21 am
You forgot trans,Islamic, phobic.
What a pity you two didn't come to the Boxing Day Bash at Harry's. It would of spiced things right up.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic