Do you have a recommendation where Khmer wife can learn English in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kohker
BANNED
Austria

Re: Do you have a recommendation where Khmer wife can learn English in Phnom Penh?

Post by Kohker »

kambokiwi wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:24 am
She does watch a lot of english stuff on YouTube and funnily enough finds the children’s cartoons best for learning new words, I guess because she’s only at that level for now. Her level is very basic but we speak english to each other every day.
Must be some amazing conversations in that relationship, the mouse eat the cheese,that one tom that one jerry he funny.
You yet eat rice😂😂😂
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Do you have a recommendation where Khmer wife can learn English in Phnom Penh?

Post by IraHayes »

Kohker wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:14 am
She does watch a lot of english stuff on YouTube and funnily enough finds the children’s cartoons best for learning new words, I guess because she’s only at that level for now. Her level is very basic but we speak english to each other every day.
Must be some amazing conversations in that relationship, the mouse eat the cheese,that one tom that one jerry he funny.
You yet eat rice😂😂😂
Mocking those learning a new skill or subject is, not only rude, but shows your ignorance and lack of understanding of how people learn.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

kambokiwi wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:19 pm Hi, my khmer wife wants to improve her english so she can get a job when we move to NZ next year. She knows some basics but wants to improve so she can also have conversations with my family and friends when we get there.

Can anyone recommend a good tutor or school where she can learn english in Phnom Penh? I think she will slowly improve once she is immersed in life in NZ but she’s not working at the moment and wants to use this time to get a head start. I’m definitely not a teacher so happy she wants to get help from someone who knows what they are doing.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, especially if you have had personal experiences with the tutor/school, or know someone who has.
If you're really serious about this find a bi-lingual licensed private teacher. Preferably a native English speaker. They don't come cheap though, but she might actually learn pretty fast.

Since it seems she's just at the beginner level I'd say the licensed part is more important than the 'native speaker part'. You can teach her the correct NZ pronunciation anyway.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:47 am
Since it seems she's just at the beginner level I'd say the licensed part is more important than the 'native speaker part'. You can teach her the correct NZ pronunciation anyway.
Youtube can also teach this.
Kohker
BANNED
Austria

Post by Kohker »

IraHayes wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:35 am
You yet eat rice😂😂😂
Mocking those learning a new skill or subject is, not only rude, but shows your ignorance and lack of understanding of how people learn.
I wasn't mocking the act of learning I was mocking them,thanks.
kambokiwi
Tourist
New Zealand

Post by kambokiwi »

You yet eat rice😂😂😂
Thanks IraHayes, you took the words right out of my mouth. Glad to see others on here standing up and giving Khmer people the respect they deserve rather than treating them like they are unworthy of intelligence or respect.

It’s a pity there are such d!ckheads on this forum like Kohker, grow up loser.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Kohker wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:58 am
You yet eat rice😂😂😂
I read it as mockery of the wider situation of several cross nationality couples whom neither speak the other language to any degree.
The result is often a nonsense basic, pidgen English/Khmer hybrid is spoken. Which perpetuates the issue as no real learning will take place as long as communication is maintained like this.

‘When I play Facebook already, where we go honey?’
Kohker
BANNED
Austria

Post by Kohker »

khmerhamster wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:06 am
You yet eat rice😂😂😂
I read it as mockery of the wider situation of several cross nationality couples whom neither speak the other language to any degree.
The result is often a nonsense basic, pidgen English/Khmer hybrid is spoken. Which perpetuates the issue as no real learning will take place as long as communication is maintained like this.

Well said,much better then my attempt.👌
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

No, in fact you were/are doing both. There are a few of us in a similar position, and logic would suggest many more. My Khmer is being learned slowly- more so now than when I was able to get home regularly. The other half’s English is improving because she is pushing herself to do so.
What do you have to add to the subject, or are you just another one of those hollow hecklers that choose to disrupt for fun? Don’t be too hasty to congratulate yourself.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Kohker wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:12 am
khmerhamster wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:06 am

You yet eat rice😂😂😂

Well said,much better then my attempt.👌
Well, glad we got that straight. :thumb:

How about less mockery and more addressing the OP's question........... fucking chowderheads.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic