Human de-worming tablets

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Human de-worming tablets

Post by xandreu »

I was told recently that due to poor food hygiene standards here, it's not uncommon for the locals to occasionally take a tablet which kills any parasites you may have involuntarily consumed along with your steak and cheese sandwich, and that may have made your stomach their new family home.

Just a few questions...
Has anyone else heard of this?
Does anyone here take these tablets?
Are they safe to take even if you don't have parasites (as a precaution)?
What are the tablets called?

Thanks.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Re: Human de-worming tablets

Post by whatwat »

Benda 500.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

xandreu wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:53 am I was told recently that due to poor food hygiene standards here, it's not uncommon for the locals to occasionally take a tablet which kills any parasites you may have involuntarily consumed along with your steak and cheese sandwich, and that may have made your stomach their new family home.

Just a few questions...

Thanks.
I'm pretty sure the main one is called Vermox™ / mebendazole. 500MG

I still have a pack of them from a year ago that I still haven't taken, but I believe it's safe and maybe even recommended to take it every year.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supple ... g-20064631
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

xandreu wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:53 am I was told recently that due to poor food hygiene standards here, it's not uncommon for the locals to occasionally take a tablet which kills any parasites you may have involuntarily consumed along with your steak and cheese sandwich, and that may have made your stomach their new family home.

Just a few questions...

Thanks.
Yeah, that's right!

Buy them over the counter Albendazole 500mg. They don't cost much. One tablet in a pack, you need to take one tablet for 3 or 4 days to clean out the system, and do that every 3 or 4 months.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Just a few questions...

Thanks.
I take every tablet and capsule I can get my hands on. Works for me. Your friendly local tuk tuk driver sells them.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Abendazole single dose (2 caps). 400mg total I think.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

After four or so years of being here and learning that this a regular thing for many of you, I'm starting to wonder if I'm riddled...

Off to the pharma...
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

xandreu wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:56 am After four or so years of being here and learning that this a regular thing for many of you, I'm starting to wonder if I'm riddled...

Off to the pharma...
Don't forget if you live with someone, get them the medicine too.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

xandreu wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:56 am After four or so years of being here and learning that this a regular thing for many of you, I'm starting to wonder if I'm riddled...

Off to the pharma...
Probably are.

The English Doctor in PP had me taking 2000mg per day of albendazole for a week along with a month course of metronidazole due to eating an abundance of provincial foods for a few years.

He also told me that anybody who has performed cunnilingus here gets worms from the women's pissflaps hosting the parasite eggs
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:47 am He also told me that anybody who has performed cunnilingus here gets worms from the women's pissflaps hosting the parasite eggs
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic