Rolls Royce Owner Pardons Motorcyclist in Xmas Crash

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Rolls Royce Owner Pardons Motorcyclist in Xmas Crash

Post by Doc67 »

cambo swa wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:26 am Sorry to be cynical on the holidays but did this really happen? Looking at the car it is difficult to see that damage from a moto. If so the moto had to be at very high speed but the young man is unscathed. He would have been splattered onto the windshield or under the car Why is taking an xmas gift to his girlfriend relevant? He is poor (Yes, half of Cambodians are poor)? Where is the photo of the motorbike (there is always one)? I have no reason but seems staged to me.

Anyway, if real, as JB said, how does a one get funds to repair a Rolls from a 20 year old?
I'm with you, and smell a rat here. The damage looks more akin to driving into something hard and immoveable at low speed.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:19 am
cambo swa wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:26 am Sorry to be cynical on the holidays but did this really happen? Looking at the car it is difficult to see that damage from a moto. If so the moto had to be at very high speed but the young man is unscathed. He would have been splattered onto the windshield or under the car Why is taking an xmas gift to his girlfriend relevant? He is poor (Yes, half of Cambodians are poor)? Where is the photo of the motorbike (there is always one)? I have no reason but seems staged to me.

Anyway, if real, as JB said, how does a one get funds to repair a Rolls from a 20 year old?
I'm with you, and smell a rat here. The damage looks more akin to driving into something hard and immoveable at low speed.
Not so sure. Modern cars crumple easily (which is partly why they are so safe, including body panels) and the bumper looks like fibreglass, or something similar. Easy broken.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Just checked. It’s polyurethane and is about $10k.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

whatwat wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:32 pm Just checked. It’s polyurethane and is about $10k.
$700,000 or whatever for a plastic car. What is the world coming to?
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:06 pm
whatwat wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:32 pm Just checked. It’s polyurethane and is about $10k.
It’s not all plastic, obvs.
Have a sit and or ride in one and you’ll see. $700k no but in the real world maybe $250k.

Sublime cars.
Oumedc
Expatriate

Post by Oumedc »

Why no photo of bike? You man has no cuts on hand ect... How did the boy not go down?
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:06 pm
In the close-up photo you can see the damage to the car extends back over the passenger-side front tire. That is certainly not plastic and not inexpensive to repair. That would have taken a moto at very high speed with a severely injured or dead moto driver. I have no idea why but I think our rich boy is up to something. What was the original source of this "news"? Happy New Year.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

cambo swa wrote: In the close-up photo you can see the damage to the car extends back over the passenger-side front tire. That is certainly not plastic and not inexpensive to repair. That would have taken a moto at very high speed with a severely injured or dead moto driver. I have no idea why but I think our rich boy is up to something. What was the original source of this "news"? Happy New Year.
Personally I disagree. I think the damage doesn’t look that major. I think a 100kg moto with a 60kg rider going at maybe 30kph and hitting the front and wing firmly could cause that sort of damage.
The rider may have escaped with cuts and bruises not visible now under his clothing.
It’s certainly going to be expensive to fix though, if done properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:11 pm He tried to ride a motorcycle to give a Xmas gift to his girlfriend, but crashed into a Rolls Royce
Cambodia News, (Phnom Penh): At 3:14 pm on December 25, 2020, on the concrete road in Angkor Chey village, Snour commune, Phnom Penh, a young man was riding his Honda Dream 125 motorcycle to give a Christmas gift to his girlfriend, when he drove into an expensive Rolls Royce car, causing damage to the front of the car.
Fortunately, the young man was not injured and when he asked the owner of the car to pardon him, out of compassion, the Rolls driver said that he would not ask for money, but he instructed the young man to obey the law and not to ride a motorbike too fast to avoid such accidents in the future.

The above young man is named Mean Tangly, 20 years old, and he is from a poor family; his parents are construction workers, he lives in Tuol Pong village, Sangkat Choam Chao I, Khan Por Sen Chey, and as a child he used to live in a pagoda. The white Rolls Royce with license plate Phnom Penh 2AU-8888 belongs to Mr. Mean Sophorn, 31 years old. He is Deputy Director General and Executive Director of "Borey Leap Samnang" and resides in Angkor Chey Village, Sangkat Snor, Khan Kampoul, Phnom Penh.
Jaysus , when i see one of them i slowly get as close as I can , take a picture , then slowly get the hell away !

Here’s an oldie but a goody

พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

If he was driving on the same road they would have collided on the other side.
Were they both on the wrong side of the road?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic