Cambodians Need More Toilets

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodians Need More Toilets

Post by nemo »

Is this a case of people trying to impose Western values on traditional societies? I have been all over Angkor and I dont recall seeing any toilets, open defecation is a tradition going back thousands of years, then Johnny white man comes along and says, oh no, we humans are better than that, you must stop or you will get sick. Its just a missionary imposition
This is possibly the strangest opinion I have ever heard.
Ranks with flat earth and virus is a hoax.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

nemo wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:47 pm
Is this a case of people trying to impose Western values on traditional societies? I have been all over Angkor and I dont recall seeing any toilets, open defecation is a tradition going back thousands of years, then Johnny white man comes along and says, oh no, we humans are better than that, you must stop or you will get sick. Its just a missionary imposition
The growing tendency for some people to take certain facts and draw tenuous links?
Ages old habits (yes, some of these things are just that) being presented as ‘tradition’. It is incredibly hard to understand how anyone can draw these conclusions, while at the same time they have such low opinions of others.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Just immagine PP in 20 years time beeing full of MC'dos, BK`s, shopping malls and other big venues with plenty of "public"toilets" beeing added. Just a question of time?
work is for people who cant find truffles
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:06 pm
The growing tendency for some people to take certain facts and draw tenuous links?
Ages old habits (yes, some of these things are just that) being presented as ‘tradition’. It is incredibly hard to understand how anyone can draw these conclusions, while at the same time they have such low opinions of others.
I guess I should be more careful with my pitiful attempts at satirizing the virtue signalers, although I thought my clever pun on position/imposition would be a giveaway. Perhaps I should stay with slapstick, at least that is harder for folk to misinterpret. Thats the long answer. The short answer is, 'just kidding'.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

hdgh29 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:57 pm
I guess I should be more careful with my pitiful attempts at satirizing the virtue signalers, although I thought my clever pun on position/imposition would be a giveaway. Perhaps I should stay with slapstick, at least that is harder for folk to misinterpret. Thats the long answer. The short answer is, 'just kidding'.
It is true that getting the humour over is very difficult on a forum. There’s no sarcasm emoji (yes, the lowest form of wit, but still one of my favourites). So it’s encouraging to know that your comments were meant only in jest. But you’ll also need to understand that they all seem of the same vein.
Slapstick is fine- Will and Chris could do with some practice at that, as it takes a polished act to really make it funny.
Intelligent humour amongst earnest debate is very much more difficult.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:04 pm
hdgh29 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:57 pm
It is true that getting the humour over is very difficult on a forum. There’s no sarcasm emoji (yes, the lowest form of wit, but still one of my favourites). So it’s encouraging to know that your comments were meant only in jest. But you’ll also need to understand that they all seem of the same vein.
Slapstick is fine- Will and Chris could do with some practice at that, as it takes a polished act to really make it funny.
Intelligent humour amongst earnest debate is very much more difficult.
Actually the full quote from Oscar Wilde, who originated the expression, is "sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but the highest form of intelligence". Everyone just repeats the first half of this like its Gospel. Hey it was only Oscar being his usual smart-ass self.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

We may talk of humor and wit, all of the funny sides of the issues. But the fact that there are issues about the subject and installing public toilets would help with the cities sanitation. But like I have mentioned above, people will need to be educated in the management of such public toilets or they themselves will become just part of the cities health issues.

I used the public toilets of the government hospital's has an example. Pharmart Preah Kossamak Hospital for example in the ICU ward has 2 toilet's for the paitants, one was unusable, and overflowing with human shit, I fixed the other toilet and sink there. Up where the payment's are made on a daily basis for care, there's a public toilet for both male and female. Opening the main door from the corridor is enough to send you running. But inside are 5 toilet's with 4 of them with padlocked doors, so only one in use, there the door is hanging off with the toilet smashed onto the floor, covered in shit and overflowing for many years and you can see the human intestinal worms very clearly.
I thought this may have been a one off until I had to take my partner into hospital in Kampong Cham, facing the same problem's.
The staff of the hospital's have their own toilet's.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I think the title of the thread should read "Private run toilet's" because the government would not take on the responsibility mainly because of what I have witnessed they fail in the establishment's where a toilet is more than important for the welfare of their own people.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

AndyKK wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:34 am We may talk of humor and wit, all of the funny sides of the issues. But the fact that there are issues about the subject and installing public toilets would help with the cities sanitation. But like I have mentioned above, people will need to be educated in the management of such public toilets or they themselves will become just part of the cities health issues.

I used the public toilets of the government hospital's has an example. Pharmart Preah Kossamak Hospital for example in the ICU ward has 2 toilet's for the paitants, one was unusable, and overflowing with human shit, I fixed the other toilet and sink there. Up where the payment's are made on a daily basis for care, there's a public toilet for both male and female. Opening the main door from the corridor is enough to send you running. But inside are 5 toilet's with 4 of them with padlocked doors, so only one in use, there the door is hanging off with the toilet smashed onto the floor, covered in shit and overflowing for many years and you can see the human intestinal worms very clearly.
I thought this may have been a one off until I had to take my partner into hospital in Kampong Cham, facing the same problem's.
The staff of the hospital's have their own toilet's.
I spent a few days in the Siem Reap Provincial hospital (opposite Cozy Bar). The ward itself was cleaned twice a day, but the toilets looked like they got attention twice a year. The 'bum gun' was broken and there was no paper so it was a matter of getting a pot of water to do 'personal cleaning'.That one toilet was used by around 50 people (obviously not all at once, that would be mad). Lack of funds is not an excuse - it costs nothing to clean.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

truffledog wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:19 pm coming soon..

started already in Thailand and Vietnam..anybody interested in the Cambodia franchise?

http://www.misterloo.com/

Mister Loo aims to digitalise the public toilet sector and to become the leading service provider in Asia by contributing with state-of-the-art toilet facilities and integrated e-health centres to better public health

Mister Loo has developed a tech-enabled service platform offering an enjoyable customer experience meeting the highest cleanliness standards while ensuring diversity and equality along the entire value chain, regardless of race, gender, or nationality

Well, they are certainly good at the marketing bullshit. A buzzword salad stitched together to form meaningless sentences.

Just how do you ensure, " diversity and equality along the entire value chain, regardless of race, gender, or nationality" when you are simply selling a place for people to take a dump?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic