Expat Santa delivers gifts and cheer

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Expat Santa delivers gifts and cheer

Post by atst »

Story in the Khmer times about this guy dressed as santa handing out gifts in Phnom Pehn , I seen him tonight on st 13, he told me he had made the papers , if someone can upload the news item, its a great good news story for a change.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Expat Santa delivers gifts and cheer

Post by John Bingham »

I saw him driving by recently. On a mission. Quite wholesome so far.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

Saw him at Larry's with the 18 month year old....She cried as soon as she saw him... He said at that age, they all do that .... and then gave her a pink plastic ball.... Nice guy though.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

From the Kmer Times (I'm getting geeky)

Merry Christmas to all! Ho ho ho! Expat Santa delivers gifts and cheer
Brian Badzmierowski / Khmer Times

81-year-old Ray Shackelford hands out presents to members of the public in Phnom Penh yesterday. KT/Chor Sokunthea

Merry Christmas! Ho ho ho!” 81-year-old Ray Shackelford bellows as he walks down an alleyway in Daun Penh district dressed in a full Santa Claus costume and carrying a sack full of presents.

Tuk tuk drivers taking a break stare at the somewhat odd sight, not sure how to respond to the cheerful well wishes.
At the end of the alley, two kids suddenly rush out of a doorway to greet the American expat dressed as Santa.
Shackelford digs into his bag of goodies and hands two wrapped dolls to the young girls. A woman standing close by also receives a krama as a gift.
It’s mid-day on Christmas Eve and Shackelford is spreading Christmas cheer to anyone and everyone on Street 172. Expats sitting at bars receive a goodie bag of candy or a krama and kids receive a variety of toys and sweets. Anyone who passes the Blue Dolphin guesthouse and restaurant, a favourite local haunt of Shackelford’s for over a decade, receives a hearty dose of Christmas cheer.
He’ll continue handing out presents around the city – mostly in alleyways where unsuspecting children can be found playing – through Christmas Day and make personal stops to peoples’ homes to deliver gifts as well.
Shackelford classifies himself as a world traveller before anything else, although he owns a winery in Oregon and spends much of his time volunteering around the world. He said he helps manage an orphanage in Kampong Speu province and has volunteered regularly in Mondulkiri province where he donates sacks of rice to those in need.
On Wednesday, he accompanied marines and veterans from the US Embassy to donate gifts to children at the Children’s Surgical Centre.
He’s been in Cambodia since March and because of COVID-19, he hasn’t had a chance to leave yet.
“It’s the longest I’ve ever been in one country for 46 years,” he said.
He first took to playing Santa in the Philippines some 17 years ago, when someone told him he’d be perfect for the part.
Since then, it’s evolved into a tradition.
When asked why he likes to dress as Santa and ride around Phnom Penh handing out gifts on his motorbike, he said: “Because I’m selfish. I do what I like to do and I like to make people happy because that keeps me happy.”
Staff at the Blue Dolphin help him wrap the gifts and when he runs out, he swings by the restaurant for a refill.
Shackelford said his gracious spirit was partly instilled by his mother when he was growing up, who worked as a first grade teacher in Oregon and helped support the local migrant worker community.
He’s also a Vietnam War veteran and said he’s motivated to give back to society by survivor’s guilt after living through the harrowing experience.
He says he believes in helping people in any way possible. “You don’t have to give money or food, just be nice to people,” he said.
His friendly demeanour and warm presence has made an impression on the staff at the Blue Dolphin, its patrons, and most everyone on Street 172.
“Everything he gives, he says thank you and asks for nothing,” Kim Houy Yin, the owner of the Blue Dolphin said.
Houy Yin has known Shackelford for over a decade and has helped out at the orphanage he set up in Kampong Speu. She said she’s never heard him utter a rude word or lose his temper with anyone, something she said was rare for a foreigner on Street 172.
The ever-restless Shackelford likely won’t be in Cambodia next Christmas, but for one more day, Phnom Penh will have a Santa Claus delivering gifts to people on the street and dropping by homes to hand deliver presents to friends he’s made over the years.
His parting Christmas message to kids and adults celebrating Christmas at the tail end of a turbulent year: “Merry Christmas, just enjoy. Remember everyone can help someone in some way every day.”
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Spoke with Ray last year and he was off to Pakistan the next day traveling solo and his first time in Pakistan at 80 years old.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

He is a cool guy. He donated a lot of money to the poor here in Cambodia. Respect!
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I saw him in Shenanigans working his magic. Then the police turned up in in the street in a truck with a loud haler and another on a bike, clearing parked cars and bikes (from the road only where they belong, but, alas, not the pavement where they don't belong).

We then watched as Santa had to get off his chair, and go and move his bike ( and put it on the pavement). Some people jeered, "leave Santa alone". The scene was completely lost on the gormless cop who looked utterly baffled. A great chance to give someone 'a pass' and show a some evidence of common sense, but no, the misguided and utterly futile exercise of road clearance had to be complied with. Different cars and bikes were back within 10 minutes.

He seemed like a nice guy and if I bump into him in a bar I'll buy him a beer.

Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Met Ray a few times. Nice guy. Struck me as one who's living life to the fullest regardless of age.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:28 am Image
lol
'sit on my knee and we'll just talk about whatever comes up'

monstra mihi bona!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain