What do Cambodians not like about Western culture.

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Secret Squirrel
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: What do Cambodians not like about Western culture.

Post by Secret Squirrel »

Samouth wrote:At first, i wasn't confidence to answer this questions due to some reasons. Then, i reconsidered about it. You must really want some inputs from the locals, otherwise you wouldn't spend your time to write this thread. However, what i am about to write is not originally my idea. They are mostly what i heard from my fellow Cambodians, mostly some middle age people who slightly know about Western Culture.

Here are some points that Cambodians don't like about Western Culture

1. You guys are likely to have more partners in a life time.
2. You are too open.
3. You have separate bank account.
4. You don't look after your parents when they get old. Why not look after them instead of sending them to care home.
5. You spoil your kids.
6. You kiss and make love in public
This is an interesting question and your answers are also interesting Samouth. I think however the question is a little misleading as wester cultures vary significantly. American, British, European cultures can be vastly different.. For instance Southern Europeans are far more family oriented than the Brits or yanks and would appear on the surface more similar to asian.
I chuckled at the idea of having too many partners. The idea of guys having mistresses seems quite ingrained in the culture here. And why are there so many KTVs, are all those guys just singing?
The idea of not caring for parents is IMO also not correct as others have discussed already. In my country caring for parents is very common. This is not usually financial as the State provides a return on the years of heavy taxes that you paid, however provision of personal care is very common. Many people stop work to look after parents. Yes we have care homes but these are professional establishments for times where professional care is in the persons best interests and tend to be those who are in the final stages of life or have no immediate family ( a situation far less likely here)
I tend to find Cambodians more open than my countrymen (UK).. I find khmer stunningly forthcoming with personal information at times that we would never discuss. UK is however known for being reserved and private.
For the record in my country joint bank accounts are very common.
Yes people spoil their kids more but they generally have far fewer to spoil. Looking after kids is probably a whole other debate. We could also discuss the reasons why khmer tend to have many children and link it to previous comments about looking after parents.
And making love in public is great fun. We even love to travel to different countries so we can do it in a tuk tuk. You guys should embrace it.
Anyway interesting to hear the khmer perspective even if I think they are generally not accurate.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

prahkeitouj wrote:
Samouth wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:I think I don't like when they kiss in public. I know it's not really bad but.... sorry to say it.
:o i also kiss in public, luckily it was night time. When you are drunk you actually don't know what you do. :)
You didn't know what you did, but you still remember it? Do you remember who did you kiss? Hope you not kiss a tree :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Haha i do remember her. lolzz.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

frank lee bent wrote:i am glad to see our Khmer members getting into the spirit of things by offering honest opinions.

this is somewhat alien to the culture, for fear of causing offence.
However, it took me a few minutes to build my confidence to write this response.

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

To be honest, i was really hesitated to write this response, as i utterly know that Culture is a very complicated subject to discuss. Culture is really broad. Different people have different perspective toward each other culture. I have never judged any cultures, because i believed that when something is wrong or considered as inappropriate in your culture, it doesn't meant it is also wrong or considered inappropriate in other culture too. Therefore, never ever use your own culture as a model to judge other culture.

PS, It seemed like everyone thought what i wrote above were originally my own ideas or belief. I have stressed that they were all what i heard from my fellow Cambodians. Please just consider me as a TRANSLATOR or MESSENGER.

Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

PS, It seemed like everyone thought what i wrote above were originally my own ideas or belief. I have stressed that they were all what i heard from my fellow Cambodians. Please just consider me as a TRANSLATOR or MESSENGER.
Fair enough, Samouth the messenger :)

But are there points there that you agree with ? Or what about your personal experiences ? Surely there are some things that westerners do that make you feel uncomfortable, or that you just find plain weird (or maybe that you used to find weird but not anymore.)

Obviously, a subject like this is about generalization - ALL barangs are not... and ALL Khmers are not... It's not facts, just opinion.

I actually get pissed off with nudity and inappropriate dress in Cambodia - I am not personally offended, but westerners going shopping in a market half-dressed etc strikes me as clueless and disrespectful.

(I think I never really got over going into a Muslim-run shop in Kenya where there were a group of very fat half-naked Italian men, one of whom was wearing just a ball-pouch g-string. :bad: )
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Anchor Moy wrote:

Fair enough, Samouth the messenger :)

But are there points there that you agree with ? Or what about your personal experiences ? Surely there are some things that westerners do that make you feel uncomfortable, or that you just find plain weird (or maybe that you used to find weird but not anymore.)

Obviously, a subject like this is about generalization - ALL barangs are not... and ALL Khmers are not... It's not facts, just opinion.

I actually get pissed off with nudity and inappropriate dress in Cambodia - I am not personally offended, but westerners going shopping in a market half-dressed etc strikes me as clueless and disrespectful.
i agree with number 1 and 3.
(I think I never really got over going into a Muslim-run shop in Kenya where there were a group of very fat half-naked Italian men, one of whom was wearing just a ball-pouch g-string. :bad: )
in my opinion, i think that he shouldn't have done this. I guess he might was thinking that he was at the beach or nude beach.

Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

And making love in public is great fun. We even love to travel to different countries so we can do it in a tuk tuk
Here you go.

frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

screwing in public is not normal for barang
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Anchor Moy wrote:
My thoughts exactly. I wish we could all run around naked if we wanted, so I have no personal problem with it.

However, when I see a Westerner running around Cambodia with no shirt on, I think, "What the fuck is wrong with you?"
frank lee bent wrote:screwing in public is not normal for barang
Speak for yourself.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

pics or it didn't happen
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic