What do Cambodians not like about Western culture.

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: What do Cambodians not like about Western culture.

Post by phuketrichard »

5. You spoil your kids.
TOTALLY wrong

Asians spoil their kids ( well they spoil their KID if its a male child) alot more than any westerners do, where we teach them independence .

4. You don't look after your parents when they get old. Why not look after them instead of sending them to care home
The parent thing i agree with
So many asian's have lots of kids ( although amongst the middle class an upper class that is starting to change) to assure them selves one of them will be around to take care of them in their old age,
its to bad as its usually a daughter, not a son as their off fucking around on there own or with their wife's family.

Westerns ( unless their on the dole, welfare or such where they get more $$ for each kid) have ONLY the amount of kids they can afford to bring up.

1,2,3 are spot on

6 more than asians for sure, but its just u all stare and notice it when it happens
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Samouth wrote:At first, i wasn't confidence to answer this questions due to some reasons. Then, i reconsidered about it. You must really want some inputs from the locals, otherwise you wouldn't spend your time to write this thread. However, what i am about to write is not originally my idea. They are mostly what i heard from my fellow Cambodians, mostly some middle age people who slightly know about Western Culture.

Here are some points that Cambodians don't like about Western Culture

1. You guys are likely to have more partners in a life time.
2. You are too open.
3. You have separate bank account.
4. You don't look after your parents when they get old. Why not look after them instead of sending them to care home.
5. You spoil your kids.
6. You kiss and make love in public
That's the spirit Samouth. Don't hesitate to list your personal dislikes. As for not looking after our parents, the issue has been touched on already and somewhat accurately I feel. I would like to add two things. First the idea of taking care of your parents was in my country and in Cambodia a rural concept. First the creation of large cities and employment helped to destroy this value and now with globalization it will soon be almost obliterated.

Also I feel that most Western families raise their children to be independent. A lot of Americans look down on older children who still live at home. Both of my parents died while I was living in Cambodia. But I was unwilling to take money from our savings account to attend the funeral. Disrespect? Lack of gratitude? No, our savings is earmarked for my wife and the future of my children. Since I am retired the only income I have is Social Security so I think of my wife and kids first and my parents second. I know Cambodians cannot accept this, my wife was alternately heartbroken and angry that I refused to touch our savings.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

and i agree with your wife.
ur parents raised you for , what 18 years , and u couldn't take out $1,000 to see them off? shame on you.

More an more, it seems like u made some bad choices/decisions in your life to end up so broke at your age, I feel sorry for you.

As to living at home, Not looked down on it as much as before, as many college grads are finding they have to return back home as they cant find a decent paying job to support themselves. also many older parents are moving in with their kids after having lost their savings an such. America is not in good shape

My sisters son lives at home ( 23) while my daughter lives on her own ( 21) an has since she was 18 when she went off to college ( of course i help support her)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

I think you made the right choice, taabarang. A funeral isn't really for the dead person, so much as all the people they left behind. You can acknowledge and respect the deceased from anywhere in the world.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Thanks for that MM. I don't pay any attention to phuketrichard; he as a few axes to grind from previous posts. Besides I'm interested in what Cambodians think about our culture not what one self-righteous poster thinks of me.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

than why, pray tell , did u bring it up about ur parents?

you and chicken should get together,
u both feel the need put to much out in public and than take offense when someone brings it up.
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

FC's problem isn't what he puts too much out there, it's that he beats his wife. Totally different.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

I don't think number 5 is true. Many Cambodians like the way western bring up their children and they also learn from them. I think most westerns understand very well about child's right. It's should be a good point and appreciate them :-)
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

phuketrichard wrote:you and chicken should get together
Steady on, old chap, that's a bit harsh.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

Samouth wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote:The lack of rice when eating with westerners ?
Pretty right. i told my friends that i can't live without rice. I have to eat rice three times per day. They all were laughing so badly.
I say this to my girlfriend and she gets a kick out of it and I guess it's pretty true haha, she asks me how much I miss her. And I tell her the same as if a Khmer person doesn't eat rice one day. Hehe
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic