What do Cambodians not like about Western culture.

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: What do Cambodians not like about Western culture.

Post by Anchor Moy »

The lack of rice when eating with westerners ?
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Anchor Moy wrote:The lack of rice when eating with westerners ?
Pretty right. i told my friends that i can't live without rice. I have to eat rice three times per day. They all were laughing so badly.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

At first, i wasn't confidence to answer this questions due to some reasons. Then, i reconsidered about it. You must really want some inputs from the locals, otherwise you wouldn't spend your time to write this thread. However, what i am about to write is not originally my idea. They are mostly what i heard from my fellow Cambodians, mostly some middle age people who slightly know about Western Culture.

Here are some points that Cambodians don't like about Western Culture

1. You guys are likely to have more partners in a life time.
2. You are too open.
3. You have separate bank account.
4. You don't look after your parents when they get old. Why not look after them instead of sending them to care home.
5. You spoil your kids.
6. You kiss and make love in public
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Samouth wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:I think I don't like when they kiss in public. I know it's not really bad but.... sorry to say it.
:o i also kiss in public, luckily it was night time. When you are drunk you actually don't know what you do. :)
You didn't know what you did, but you still remember it? Do you remember who did you kiss? Hope you not kiss a tree :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i am glad to see our Khmer members getting into the spirit of things by offering honest opinions.

this is somewhat alien to the culture, for fear of causing offence.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Samouth wrote: 4. You don't look after your parents when they get old.
You are a smart person, Samouth, but that comment is by-and-large incorrect. I uprooted my entire, happy life in SE Asia several years ago to take care of my elderly parents when they no longer could take care of themselves in the US. I have many siblings who all did their part over the years to help care for my parents (who were just fine on their own and an extremely independent couple until recently) and when needed I came back and took over those responsibilities, including taking them both for hundreds of doctor visits and paying the eye-watering hospital bills. We all have made sure they never wanted for or worried about anything in their later years.

Many people I know have grappled with the issue of whether or not to put their elderly parents in a nursing home. It is never an easy decision for any of them. When it takes several full-time people to help your sick, elderly parents go to the toilet 8 times per day and bathe them and feed them, as well as correctly administer a long list of medicines...then a home for the elderly becomes a more attractive idea (even at the outrageous costs), especially if you have a few young children of your own to look after as well. I hope you never have to make such heart wrenching decisions.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Soi Dog wrote:
Samouth wrote: 4. You don't look after your parents when they get old.
You are a smart person, Samouth, but that comment is by-and-large incorrect.
I consider it by in large to be CORRECT.

I get the impression, like Samouth, that it's the kids that provide for the parents in SEasia, and the parents that provide for the kids in the West (the US at least).

I think it's common for parents to buy their kids cars, houses, pay for their university, etc in the States.

While in Asia the kids are like insurance for them.

I haven't given my family jack shit. They are the ones that have done all the providing.

Hell, my grandma still sends me cash for my birthday and every other holiday, LoL.

I feel it's also based on how the 2 societies are set up.

In the West, old folks have social security and other retirement benefits.

I also think the baby boomers were the first generation where kids were generally making LESS than their parents.

No social security in Cambodia, so the kids almost have to fill the role of providing for them.

All my grandparents have money coming in, so I don't think any financial help will ever even be required.

I think this is the norm.

So while YOU have clearly provided for your parents when needed, I don't think it's the norm.

So I don't get your whole, "you're a smart person..." take on it. I think he nailed it.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

General Mackevili wrote: So I don't get your whole, "you're a smart person..." take on it. I think he nailed it.
So IF NEEDED, possibly in the future, would you return to the US to care for one or both of your parents or not? If yes, then you also are not covered under Samouth's blanket statement of "Western people not caring for their elderly parents". Obviously your parents haven't reached that age yet. Time is a thief, and you most likely will be faced with similar difficult decisions some day ahead. For Samouth to be correct, you (and most Westerners) would have to ignore such responsibilities. Some do. I'm sure some Cambodians do too, but it's not the norm by any means, and it's definitely not part of Western culture to do so, as this thread is about culture.
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

Well, this whole thread was destined to contain blanket statements. Western culture itself is really broad, since most people identify their culture with their country or even city (in the case of global cities), but that said I think Samouth is correct. Just look at all the people who throw their parents into nursing homes.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Soi Dog wrote:
General Mackevili wrote: So I don't get your whole, "you're a smart person..." take on it. I think he nailed it.
So IF NEEDED, possibly in the future, would you return to the US to care for one or both of your parents or not? If yes, then you also are not covered under Samouth's blanket statement of "Western people not caring for their elderly parents". Obviously your parents haven't reached that age yet. Time is a thief, and you most likely will be faced with similar difficult decisions some day ahead. For Samouth to be correct, you (and most Westerners) would have to ignore such responsibilities. Some do. I'm sure some Cambodians do too, but it's not the norm by any means, and it's definitely not part of Western culture to do so, as this thread is about culture.
Yeah, of course. I also pointed out that US society is set up in a way that generally parents aren't as dependant on their kids like they are in Cambodia, so I thought it was a fair "comparison" between the 2.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic