UK Flights Cancelled as Borders Close

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

UK Flights Cancelled as Borders Close

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Check with the British Embassy if you were planning to fly back to the UK. You may be stranded due to the new flight restrictions.

December 21, 20201:23 PM Updated 13 minutes ago
World closes borders to Britain as new coronavirus strain breeds panic
By Gerhard Mey, Ben Makori
6 Min Read

DOVER, England (Reuters) - More countries closed their borders to Britain on Monday over fears of a highly infectious new coronavirus strain, heightening global panic, causing travel chaos and raising the prospect of UK food shortages just days before the Brexit cliff edge.

India, Poland, Switzerland, Russia and Hong Kong suspended travel for Britons after Prime Minister Boris Johnson warned that a mutated variant of the virus up to 70% more infectious had been identified in the country, while Japan and South Korea said they were monitoring the situation.

A slew of countries have already suspended travel, including France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Austria, Ireland, Belgium, Israel and Canada.

The discovery of the new strain, just months before vaccines are expected to be widely available, sowed fresh panic in a pandemic that has killed about 1.7 million people worldwide and more than 67,000 in Britain.

Australia said two people who travelled from the United Kingdom to New South Wales state were found to be carrying the mutated virus.

Johnson will chair an emergency response meeting on Monday to discuss international travel, in particular the flow of freight in and out of Britain. EU officials held a meeting on coordinating their response.

France shut its border to arrivals of people and trucks from Britain, closing off one of the most important trade arteries with mainland Europe.

As families and truck drivers tried to navigate the travel bans to get back home in time for Christmas, Britain’s second-largest supermarket chain, Sainsbury’s, said gaps would start to appear on shelves within days if transport ties were not quickly restored with mainland Europe.

“If nothing changes, we will start to see gaps over the coming days on lettuce, some salad leaves, cauliflowers, broccoli and citrus fruit – all of which are imported from the continent at this time of year,” Sainsbury’s said.

Shellfish producers in Scotland said they had tonnes of perishable products stranded on roads as the French border was closed. Disruption in Britain will also snarl supplies to Ireland.

“No driver wants to deliver to the UK now, so the UK is going to see its freight supply dry up,” France’s FNTR national road haulage federation said.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... 8V1FF?il=0
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Re: UK Flights Cancelled as Borders Close

Post by whatwat »

Nothing to do with inbound. It’s outbound flights which are limited.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

I guess some flights will be cancelled due to airlines being concerned about not being able to get back, but the article doesn't specify that anywhere. Here's a more relevant one (which says for now the restrictions are mostly within Europe and most long haul flights are set to keep running): https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 76855.html
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Latest travel update from the Independent:

Which countries have banned travel from the UK? Full list
New strain of coronavirus prompts international travel bans
Helen Coffey
@LenniCoffey
8 minutes ago
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 76998.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:38 pm Latest travel update from the Independent:

Helen Coffey
@LenniCoffey
8 minutes ago
The key countries to watch out for are Korea, Singapore and Taiwan, those being the only practical routes back to the UK. No flights coming mean no flights leaving. I know that is very simplistic, but any Brit currently here is likely to be effectively trapped here very soon.

Having faced being potentially trapped in Mexico in March with all countries south and north closing their borders with 24 hours, I have this sinking feeling that very soon I will not be able to get back to the UK should I need to do so and it is not a nice feeling.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:05 am
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:38 pm Latest travel update from the Independent:

Helen Coffey
@LenniCoffey
8 minutes ago
The key countries to watch out for are Korea, Singapore and Taiwan, those being the only practical routes back to the UK. No flights coming mean no flights leaving. I know that is very simplistic, but any Brit currently here is likely to be effectively trapped here very soon.

Having faced being potentially trapped in Mexico in March with all countries south and north closing their borders with 24 hours, I have this sinking feeling that very soon I will not be able to get back to the UK should I need to do so and it is not a nice feeling.
I’m in two minds.
If I get back to the UK, it may be another long wait to get home. Over 9 months away, this time.
If I don’t get back to the UK, I could be stuck here a while.

Neither is an entirely comfortable option.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

I’m pretty sure airlines (particularly now) don’t operate like that, one plane for one route etc.

Hope I’m right or what you say will be true.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:23 am
Doc67 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:05 am

Helen Coffey
@LenniCoffey
8 minutes ago

I’m in two minds.
If I get back to the UK, it may be another long wait to get home. Over 9 months away, this time.
If I don’t get back to the UK, I could be stuck here a while.

Neither is an entirely comfortable option.
Yeah, I was thinking somewhat selfishly of my own circumstances of not having to return anytime soon. But you are having to return soon. You may well get stuck here.
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

Well if the SE Asian nations have any sense they will also ban arrivals from Blighty. It only takes one to get in, and then we face lockdowns and business closures. All Poms should stay home and sort their shit out. So what if its Christmas - there will be another one next year. Next thing you know we will be told the vaccine doesn't work on this new strain of virus, then we are back to square one. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the English in their own country - love those old pubs, Cornish pasties, God save the Queen and all that (never been too keen on this real ale crap but each to his own) - but thats where they should stay, in their own country. They got no-one to blame but themselves because the ignored the rules, and went for freedom and entitlement instead. Now NZ, there is an example of how to behave. And I am not biased.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
angsta
Expatriate
Congo

Post by angsta »

Is this what taking back control feels like?
AinC reels off an eloquent and thought provoking monologue adlib
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic