Take care walking around

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Take care walking around

Post by timmydownawell »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:20 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:35 pm Couple of months ago I had drinks with a friend at Deja Vu bar on 118/riverside. As we left, he commented that one of the female staff had just given him the filthiest look. We walked about two blocks south and stopped on a corner for a sec, when a guy in a moto suddenly grabbed his phone and was gone. We then realised he'd actually had a failed first attempt several minutes earlier up the street a bit, and had then come back for the successful grab. Pretty sure he was targeted and set up by the chick from the bar.
Just curious but why would the restaurant staffer give him the filthiest look if she targeted him and is in cohoots with a jao to steal his phone?
I don't know. Maybe we left sooner than she expected and her accomplice wasn't ready? Or maybe because I was riding my bike alongside him on the roadside, which (as it turned out) shielded him from the first attempt, but when we stopped on the corner of 136 he got his chance. It was only then we put it all together.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:20 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:35 pm Couple of months ago I had drinks with a friend at Deja Vu bar on 118/riverside. As we left, he commented that one of the female staff had just given him the filthiest look. We walked about two blocks south and stopped on a corner for a sec, when a guy in a moto suddenly grabbed his phone and was gone. We then realised he'd actually had a failed first attempt several minutes earlier up the street a bit, and had then come back for the successful grab. Pretty sure he was targeted and set up by the chick from the bar.
Just curious but why would the restaurant staffer give him the filthiest look if she targeted him and is in cohoots with a jao to steal his phone?
You raise an excellent point and we've gotta find out what that poster meant by, "filthiest look." I mean was it a "come hither," seductive look or an "I hate you" look?
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Living in the area, from my perspective, around st 136/130/118/5 I've noticed the place has gone downhill since the Wuhan virus and the regular tourists stopped coming.

Most of the trinket seller kids and beggars have gone. Heck, come to think of it I haven't seen the newspaper seller guy for 2 weeks or so. And the fancy pen seller also gone. No money to be made.

Walking around the area around lunch time, I see a lot more homeless people sleeping under the hostess bar/shophouse awnings than before. Sadly, these are not just adults but unaccompanied kids.. More troubling, I've seen gangs of street kids roaming the area. Also, more freelance hookers walking around daytime.

Personally, I'm a lot more wary in the area and it pays to have eyes in the back of your head in case someone comes up quickly behind you. Maybe I'm paranoid but Mrs Cargo has been saying similar things from what she sees and hears working in a restaurant in the area.

Sure, there were bag/phone snatchings and the like before but I think the odds of this happening now are higher than before.
ssian
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ssian »

The best is to stay indoors after 6pm...
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Marty wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:01 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:18 pm Crikey! I'm missing all the fun, I walk on Riverside daily at various hours up to 11pm and nothing bad happens.
Walk around Riverside drunk nearly to unconsciousness with plenty of valuables obviously on you at least at 11pm, preferably later. You'll get a taste of the fun.
It's your idea. I'll let you go first!
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

I never felt that comfortable living in Phnom Penh in 2011-12, as well as multiple one-week visits. Too many dark places in many parts of town, but especially from Norodom to River, the latter I always stayed away from. I always stopped at St 5. Too many motorcycles with two guys skulking around. I remember St. 178 was a bad place to walk from River to 5, 19 and to Norodom. Snatchings on a regular basis.

Almost had my phone grabbed on 154. Emergency call made me drop my guard but I had a firm grip on the phone. FB expat pages full of stories of break-ins, robberies, snatches and grabs from restaurant tables. A woman friend of mine, which many members here would know and who has returned to the UK, was robbed at gunpoint in daylight.

Still had many great times in PP and met a lot of cool people and had some great chats around Quealy's, Sundance, Garage. But it's very sad to read that it's gotten worse.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

It probably is worse because people are more desperate rn, but as expats we're copping it more than usual due to the lack of hapless tourists who would normally bear the brunt of grab and snatch attacks.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

With good luck I have had hardly anything happen to me all this time. Good to keep your wits about you though.
alexvanlaar
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by alexvanlaar »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:37 am
atst wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:49 am Just stepped out to the riveside near st144 at around 6:30 pm to witness a moto speeding off on the riveside walkway next to the river, with an old barang guy attempting to run after him or get attention from people around. To late the prick on the bike was gone in a flash towards night markets.
No idea what the man lost but at 6:30pm riverside is busy
This morning I have taken my bank cards out of my phone cover and removed my Australia sim. Will only carry them when needed. If some prick is going to snatch my phone that's all I'm losing.
I never take my bank cards out. I only ever use ABA e-Cash, which has a maximum $200 a day. If I ever have cause to draw more, it requires a visit home, which ought to be enough for sober reflection of wtf am I doing!

It's going to get much worse in 2021.
I love ABA E-cash, you only need your head when you're going to the ATM, no card or phone to snatch...!
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

alexvanlaar wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:52 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:37 am
atst wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:49 am Just stepped out to the riveside near st144 at around 6:30 pm to witness a moto speeding off on the riveside walkway next to the river, with an old barang guy attempting to run after him or get attention from people around. To late the prick on the bike was gone in a flash towards night markets.
No idea what the man lost but at 6:30pm riverside is busy
This morning I have taken my bank cards out of my phone cover and removed my Australia sim. Will only carry them when needed. If some prick is going to snatch my phone that's all I'm losing.
I never take my bank cards out. I only ever use ABA e-Cash, which has a maximum $200 a day. If I ever have cause to draw more, it requires a visit home, which ought to be enough for sober reflection of wtf am I doing!

It's going to get much worse in 2021.
I love ABA E-cash, you only need your head when you're going to the ATM, no card or phone to snatch...!
How do you remember the code if no phone?
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic