Take care walking around

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Re: Take care walking around

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

Riverside has been a shit show after dark for a while now
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Crikey! I'm missing all the fun, I walk on Riverside daily at various hours up to 11pm and nothing bad happens.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:36 pm Riverside has been a shit show after dark for a while now
When I first visited Phnom Penh in Jan 2014, there were plenty of warnings about walking along the Riverside after dark, and no doubt there were before 2014
FrankReynolds
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by FrankReynolds »

I've known 2 guys over the years that have fallen asleep on a bench, drunk, late at night at the riverside. One had his moto keys taken from his pocket, and bike stolen. The second had his pocket razored and phone and wallet taken. One dude might have been "looking for love in all the wrong places", but the other genuinely seemed to be getting some air before staggering home. In any case, total face-palm when hearing about their bad luck.
A bit of common sense would have prevented those outcomes. Don't make yourself a target and there's little danger.
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

jaynewcastle wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:28 pm
xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:36 pm Riverside has been a shit show after dark for a while now
When I first visited Phnom Penh in Jan 2014, there were plenty of warnings about walking along the Riverside after dark, and no doubt there were before 2014
I heard the same years ago. In fact there has been advice on this forum going back into history about walking down the street with your phone out, bags across shoulders, wallets in pockets etc. Every city in the world has thieves, pickpockets and opportunist snatchers - why the surprise when the poorest places have the most crime? Saigon, Bangkok, Manila, Phnom Penh - always have to be aware of your surroundings and how accessible your valuables are. It's absolutely common sense.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:35 pm Couple of months ago I had drinks with a friend at Deja Vu bar on 118/riverside. As we left, he commented that one of the female staff had just given him the filthiest look. We walked about two blocks south and stopped on a corner for a sec, when a guy in a moto suddenly grabbed his phone and was gone. We then realised he'd actually had a failed first attempt several minutes earlier up the street a bit, and had then come back for the successful grab. Pretty sure he was targeted and set up by the chick from the bar.
Both the moto guy who made the successful grab and the chick from the bar who gave him the filthiest look should be behind bars. Obviously a professional ripoff team.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:18 pm Crikey! I'm missing all the fun, I walk on Riverside daily at various hours up to 11pm and nothing bad happens.
Walk around Riverside drunk nearly to unconsciousness with plenty of valuables obviously on you at least at 11pm, preferably later. You'll get a taste of the fun.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

There are past times when I know I have probably been lucky, being out taking photos in the dark hours, such, where the street art is located are that of unpopulated and dark areas at these times, I tend to visit taking time where possible with two smartphones, not risking a camera, that would, I think draw attention. But again, I refer to unpopulated, that is not exactly true, drug dealing seems to be the norm, dogs in the cool night air can turn very nasty and certainly snappy, more of a problem when there are a few, being normal, after our last outing when a pair got too close ripping my trainer with a quick snap coming from behind when confronting the one immediately near, if any other outings I need to take a good stick. There is another thing, being in this environment you would see the other persons coming.

But riverside is theft ridden, and has many characters you would rather not encounter. Don't leave your helmet on the bike there too, I had mine lifted by someone who pulled up alongside my bike, while I was walking back towards them.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:35 pm Couple of months ago I had drinks with a friend at Deja Vu bar on 118/riverside. As we left, he commented that one of the female staff had just given him the filthiest look. We walked about two blocks south and stopped on a corner for a sec, when a guy in a moto suddenly grabbed his phone and was gone. We then realised he'd actually had a failed first attempt several minutes earlier up the street a bit, and had then come back for the successful grab. Pretty sure he was targeted and set up by the chick from the bar.
Just curious but why would the restaurant staffer give him the filthiest look if she targeted him and is in cohoots with a jao to steal his phone?
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

AndyKK wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:16 pm There are past times when I know I have probably been lucky, being out taking photos in the dark hours, such, where the street art is located are that of unpopulated and dark areas at these times, I tend to visit taking time where possible with two smartphones, not risking a camera, that would, I think draw attention. But again, I refer to unpopulated, that is not exactly true, drug dealing seems to be the norm, dogs in the cool night air can turn very nasty and certainly snappy, more of a problem when there are a few, being normal, after our last outing when a pair got too close ripping my trainer with a quick snap coming from behind when confronting the one immediately near, if any other outings I need to take a good stick. There is another thing, being in this environment you would see the other persons coming.

But riverside is theft ridden, and has many characters you would rather not encounter. Don't leave your helmet on the bike there too, I had mine lifted by someone who pulled up alongside my bike, while I was walking back towards them.
Yeah, it's bad enough you have to worry about dodgy people. It's the aggressive dogs too. Especially in packs. I hate them. Forget about taking a good stick, they ain't afraid. All animals fear fire though. When you walk around out there bring along plenty of flammable materials such as liquids and gasses along with plenty of lighters and grill starters. That will get rid of those fukkin dogs.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic