Will you get the vaccine?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

Yes
56%
No
26%
Maybe
19%
No, Due to XYZ Theory
No votes

Total votes: 54
dontbeasourlemon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by dontbeasourlemon »

So I am curious how many of you plan to get the vaccine for Covid once it becomes available to the general public and your thoughts on it and what you may have heard?

Personally, I am willing to get the vaccine and I hope it leads to some normality and lets me travel and leads to an easing of travel restrictions. I believe by the time it gets to me. All the health care workers and those with health condtions who went first will provide a data set on any short term consequences that I should beware. However, if all goes well like in the clinical trials I am not too concerned .

Conspiracy: A coworker of mine said she wasn't sure if she was going to get the vaccine as she heard a rumor they where injecting HIV as a form of population control. 💀💀💀
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Vaccines

Post by nerdlinger »

dontbeasourlemon wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:58 am
Conspiracy: A coworker of mine said she wasn't sure if she was going to get the vaccine as she heard a rumor they where injecting HIV as a form of population control. 💀💀💀
It’s exasperating just how many conspiracy theories don’t make sense even on their own terms. Like why HIV, which is eminently controllable by now so would have negligible effect on the population count? A better conspiracy theory would be that they’re injecting everyone with HIV in order to make a fortune selling HIV meds.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

"Heard a rumor" - this country is so full of rumours. Personally I would get a vaccine IF it provided a certificate allowing me to travel anywhere without quarantine or extortion. Otherwise in a country with no deaths and very few cases its quite pointless. The government has claimed it will be free. Maybe free for them but it will not be free for the people - especially not for foreigners. Perhaps they might say the injection is free and charge say $100 for the certificate.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

I feel like there isn’t enough attention given to the huge number of non-fatal cases that leave people with permanent lung scarring, internal clotting leading to strokes, and seemingly permanent fatigue.

I’m more scared of long covid than of death.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I work internationally, travel internationally. Vaccination for other diseases has been a mandatory thing in many cases. The difference being that those vaccines already existed, and were part of the norm by that point. The outbreaks, experiences of the particular diseases, etc, were someone else’s history.
COVID-19 is being lived by us. Our children, grandchildren will probably view vaccination for it in the same way that we do with cholera, yellow fever etc.

I’m not in a rush to get the vaccine. To avoid being isolated from everything I do, it will be an easy choice to make to have it.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

nerdlinger wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:37 am I feel like there isn’t enough attention given to the huge number of non-fatal cases that leave people with permanent lung scarring, internal clotting leading to strokes, and seemingly permanent fatigue.

I’m more scared of long covid than of death.
This.
The preoccupation is with the two main end results- Lived/Died.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm not an anti vaxxer and I'll get the vaccine eventually, but the rush in developing, testing and rolling out those novel vaccines does concern me. Not because of any conspiracy theories, but because people who work under such immense pressure are more prone to deliberately cut corners or accidentally miss something.

Which is why I'm in no particular hurry to get vaccinated myself, or in other words, I'm perfectly happy to let a few hundred million people test it for me first. Realistically though, that would happen anyway - as I'm neither old nor plagued with serious health issues nor a frontline medical worker, vaccinating people like myself quite justifiably isn't seen as a priority anywhere.

I'm guessing that it will be my turn towards the middle of next year, and that I'll need the vaccination to be able to travel somewhere more than feeling an increased sense of urgency myself.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

samrong01 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:26 am "Heard a rumor" - this country is so full of rumours. Personally I would get a vaccine IF it provided a certificate allowing me to travel anywhere without quarantine or extortion. Otherwise in a country with no deaths and very few cases its quite pointless. The government has claimed it will be free. Maybe free for them but it will not be free for the people - especially not for foreigners. Perhaps they might say the injection is free and charge say $100 for the certificate.
You are certainly right with the rumour side of things, but it is not only this, its how things are run here, so many changes, speculation, due to what was to change never did, or if it just happens to, the foreigners who it may effect will be the last to know about it. Has for the vaccine, it was some time ago when WHO announced there's funding from some of the first world countries that will be providing to the poor of countries, such has Cambodia, but it also had been stated from the UK and Australia that it would help Cambodia. But then again we are led to believe that the figures of covid19 we are shown here are correct, but then their were the community outbreak that seemed to come along at a timely convenient time to make a bid with mostly the very well healed few giving large donations to the government to buy vaccines, or at least to secure an order, also it turns out the government have a vast amount of monies put aside for this cause anyway, without touching any reserves. I would think that the end result is that Cambodia will pay very little for the vaccine if anything at all, also He said for the remainder of the needs of the vaccine he would ask for aid. For the foreign person who may need the vaccine to even be permitted to travel back to their own countries, yes, for sure they will pay. This is what I recount of this country, they will be given help from countries such has ours, but they will not recognise that of the good will to those who are considered guests to their country. Also such has the low numbers here of the illness they will consider the world should help them, but look at the numbers alone of the deaths from covid19 in those countries. The last I read was He wanted the vaccine to be recommended by WHO and that his people would not be the ones too test such vaccines. I see it as the ones who are going to donate are also the manufacturers and the testers.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

dontbeasourlemon wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:58 am Conspiracy: A coworker of mine said she wasn't sure if she was going to get the vaccine as she heard a rumor they where injecting HIV as a form of population control. 💀💀💀
The vaccine being developed by University of Queensland used some protein from HIV. This was completely harmless, but it resulted in people in the trial getting false positive HIV test results (they deliberately tested them for HIV because they knew this was a possibility).
https://science.thewire.in/health/queen ... v-protein/

Not surprising some people would twist that information to sell FUD to the uninformed masses. :(

As for me, I'll get the jab when it's readily available. Not the Chinese or Russian one though.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

As if we will have a choice! :nono:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic