Loan Shark Man Dies in Phnom Penh Shooting

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
ergosemper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Loan Shark Man Dies in Phnom Penh Shooting

Post by ergosemper »

Some sources say it's about a loan of $300K.

មូលហេតុ ដែលបាញ់សម្លាប់ គឺដោយសារតែជនសង្ស័យជំពាក់លុយជនរងគ្រោះចំនួន៣០ម៉ឺនដុល្លារ គ្មានលុយសង ហើយក្រោយបាញ់រួច បានយកកាំភ្លើងទៅលាក់ទុកនៅក្នុងរណ្ដៅដីម្ដុំជិតកន្លែងកើតហេតុនោះដែរ ។ នេះជាព័ត៌មានបឋម ។

៣០ (30) x ម៉ឺនដុល្លារ ($10,000) samseb muen dollar
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:58 am
The reason for shooting the victim was because the assailant owed the victim $ 10,000, and the victim kept demanding his money back every day, and the suspect had no money to pay him.
So then the suspect called the man to meet up with him on a lonely road, and he shot him to death on the road before leaving the scene.
Reminds me of Srey Choppy :assasin:

It's a hostile, dangerous world for a loan shark it seems.
Her freezer is still for sale it seems...

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

ergosemper wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:39 am Some sources say it's about a loan of $300K.

មូលហេតុ ដែលបាញ់សម្លាប់ គឺដោយសារតែជនសង្ស័យជំពាក់លុយជនរងគ្រោះចំនួន៣០ម៉ឺនដុល្លារ គ្មានលុយសង ហើយក្រោយបាញ់រួច បានយកកាំភ្លើងទៅលាក់ទុកនៅក្នុងរណ្ដៅដីម្ដុំជិតកន្លែងកើតហេតុនោះដែរ ។ នេះជាព័ត៌មានបឋម ។

៣០ (30) x ម៉ឺនដុល្លារ ($10,000) samseb muen dollar
Cambodia News, (Phnom Penh): This operation was carried out under the direct command of General Dr. Neth Savoeun, National Police Commissioner General, Lt. Gen. Thet, Deputy Commissioner General and Phnom Penh Municipal Police Commissioner, Lt. Gen. In Bora, Deputy Commissioner of Central Judicial Police. And Lt. Gen. Neng Chuor, Director of the Criminal Police Department, and it was led by Lt. Gen. Cheav Vibol, Deputy Director of the Department.

The gunman and a member of the gang who shot and killed the victim in Tuol Key village, Sangkat Pleung Cheh Tes, Khan Kampoul, Phnom Penh, on December 17, 2020, were arrested by the Criminal Police Department on the 19th December 2020.

The two suspects arrested by the police are: Sok Heng Sambo, 30 years old (shooter) and Pheng Sithol, 40 years old (gun owner).

The suspects confessed that they had actually shot and killed Nou Chamnan because they owed the victim a lot of money and could not pay. Authorities revealed that the assailant owed the victim about $ 300,000 in total.

The two suspects were handed over by the Criminal Police Department to the Kambol District Police Inspectorate, which is the owner of the case, to build a case for further proceedings.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

If someone owed me $300,000, I would be more than a little reluctant to meet that person on some "lonely road".
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

hanno wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:30 pm If someone owed me $300,000, I would be more than a little reluctant to meet that person on some "lonely road".
Yep, but what if he said " I've got the money for you, in cash" ? Would your greed over-ride your common sense ? :?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

The old adage;

Owe the bank £1000 and you fear the bank. Owe the bank £1,000,000 and the bank fears you"

How true that is in this society.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:53 pm
hanno wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:30 pm If someone owed me $300,000, I would be more than a little reluctant to meet that person on some "lonely road".
Yep, but what if he said " I've got the money for you, in cash" ? Would your greed over-ride your common sense ? :?
I think his greed got the better of him when he extended credit much above $10k, especially without speeding the risk between associates (you can't kill us all!).
In this part of the world being worth more dead than alive can be deadly; dead can easily be arranged.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

You'd think for a $300k loan he would've taken some security? And called it in?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:53 pm
Good question that I honestly cannot answer as I have never been in the loan-sharking business. But at least I would take a couple of bodyguards along.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

clutchcargo wrote:You'd think for a $300k loan he would've taken some security? And called it in?
You can't as loan sharking is illegal, even here. A bank can leverage the property though. A huge sum of money though, the two guys must have been pretty loaded already to be loaned that much cash. All a bit odd.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic