Koh Rong Resort Burns Down

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Koh Rong Resort Burns Down

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

December 17, 2020
Fire destroys Koh Rong island resort
A popular resort owned by a Cambodian businessman in Preah Sihanouk province’s Koh Rong Island burned down in the early hours of yesterday.

Lieutenant Colonel Phun Saroeun, deputy chief of the provincial Fire Prevention and Rescue Police office, said yesterday that he suspects the fires were caused by an explosion due to faulty electrical wires. The fire occurred at about 3.30am yesterday morning at Sok San Resort located in Sok San village, in Koh Rong commune, on Koh Rong Island.

Lt Col Saroeun said that the resort did not have many national or foreign tourists staying due to the pandemic.

He said that according to the police investigation as well as witness statements, the fire started in a warehouse and spread through part of the resort as well as nearby properties.

He added that there were about 15 guests staying at the resort but they all managed to flee from the fire.

“According to the police’s preliminary investigation, the fire was caused from an explosion of electrical wires inside the resort’s warehouse,” Lt Col Saroeun told Khmer Times yesterday.

“The fires then started burning the resort and destroyed all of the buildings,” he said. “But no one was hurt because they managed to flee when the fires started.”

He added that due to strong winds it took about 100 policemen and 2 water trucks to put out the blaze. They were fighting the fire until 7am yesterday morning.

Captain Nuon Sopheak, deputy chief of Koh Rong commune police, said that according to the owner of resort, the fires also destroyed a car, five speedboats and other items valued at a total of $200,000.

He said that police are investigating in order to make sure if it was caused by the electric cables or if someone did it on purpose like the victim said.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50794151/f ... lls-ready/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Re: Koh Rong Resort Burns Down

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

this might be an insurance scum...

according to the owner of resort, the fires also destroyed "a car, five speedboats, Mona Lisa, gutenberg bible and stradivarius violin."
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Don’t joke about the Stradivarius Violin! These are rare, beautiful instruments. Every one has an individual name. As a youth I had the opportunity to play one once. It’s orders of magnitude louder than a regular violin, with the deepest richest tones I have ever heard. My pitiful skills did not do it justice.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:37 am Don’t joke about the Stradivarius Violin!
Just another odd shaped scratchy ukulele, if you ask me.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:06 pm this might be an insurance scum...

according to the owner of resort, the fires also destroyed "a car, five speedboats, Mona Lisa, gutenberg bible and stradivarius violin."
Haha. Thought the same though. After a year with no tourists "oh no my resort just mysteriously self combusted!"
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I was about to book the place for a holiday in January. It was one of the few resorts on the island that has decent recent reviews and having been there in 2017 it was somewhere that I knew and liked.

I am very surprised at the claim it is all destroyed, it was all set apart in bungalow blocks, not sure how it all caught fire.

Back to the drawing board.

Edit update:

I just spoke to them, the fire was in the warehouse which is well behind the guest buildings. The resort is re-opening on 20th December and it's business as usual.

Seems the newspaper over egged the pudding.
STEVITO
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by STEVITO »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:56 am I was about to book the place for a holiday in January. It was one of the few resorts on the island that has decent recent reviews and having been there in 2017 it was somewhere that I knew and liked.

I am very surprised at the claim it is all destroyed, it was all set apart in bungalow blocks, not sure how it all caught fire.

Edit update:

I just spoke to them, the fire was in the warehouse which is well behind the guest buildings. The resort is re-opening on 20th December and it's business as usual.

I checked with someone on the island who confirmed the above. Just a storage warehouse that got burnt...
Nothing like checking details, Khmer Times...
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:56 am I was about to book the place for a holiday in January. It was one of the few resorts on the island that has decent recent reviews and having been there in 2017 it was somewhere that I knew and liked.

Edit update:

How did you find staying in Soksan village ?, and did you explore much in the local area ?

I thought about staying there for a few days on my last trip, Jan 2018, but decided it was too isolated, and its at the northern not-so-nice end of the beach as well.

I did actually walk up there from Ko Touche one day that trip and was surprised how big the village was
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

timmydownawell wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:33 am
After a year with no tourists "oh no my resort just mysteriously self combusted!"
How was tourism to Koh Rong before Covid, I can't imagine the shit show that is Sihanoukville hasn't killed the backpacker scene
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

jaynewcastle wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:55 pm

Edit update:

How did you find staying in Soksan village ?, and did you explore much in the local area ?

I thought about staying there for a few days on my last trip, Jan 2018, but decided it was too isolated, and its at the northern not-so-nice end of the beach as well.

I did actually walk up there from Ko Touche one day that trip and was surprised how big the village was
It was pretty lacking really. There was a beach bar and restaurant, which was ok. A pizzeria which was nice for a night. There was a very casual bar at the end of the village which was really a young couple serving their mates who lived there and the odd tourist. There was also a new bar being built which has since opened and it called Tortuga bar. That was about it, nothing else of interest. Lots of building work going on. Chickens wandering around. Litter everywhere. Why don't people realise that visitors notice this and it it leaves a bad impression. Installing bins on the street would be a start, but that then requires them to be emptied.

My concern going back there is that given the lack of tourists I wouldn't be surprised if none of these business' were still open.

I didn't do much exploring (none actually). We were there for just 2 days after a whirlwind trip to Siem Reap, Kampot, Kep and finally Sihanoukville. Koh Rong was just an add-on. There didn't seem much to see and walking along rocky uneven paths into a jungle doesn't have any appeal for me.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic