MFI/FTD rates?

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
wolfcreek
Expatriate
United States of America

MFI/FTD rates?

Post by wolfcreek »

Are LOLC and Prasac still offering 24-36 month 7.5% interest (before tax)? Any others offering more??
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Re: MFI/FTD rates?

Post by truffledog »

wolfcreek wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:14 pm Are LOLC and Prasac still offering 24-36 month 7.5% interest (before tax)? Any others offering more??
with the huge number of MF takers in Cambodia it should not be difficult to find one taker directly who offers double what your looking for.
work is for people who cant find truffles
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

truffledog wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:50 pm
wolfcreek wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:14 pm Are LOLC and Prasac still offering 24-36 month 7.5% interest (before tax)? Any others offering more??
with the huge number of MF takers in Cambodia it should not be difficult to find one taker directly who offers double what your looking for.
You mean go straight to the source?

That sounds a little risky
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

cautious colin wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:07 pm
truffledog wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:50 pm
You mean go straight to the source?

That sounds a little risky
do as the instutions do and get a collateral..safer than lending to the (unsecured) MFI/banks
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

I have to disagree with truffle dog. Lending to a single borrower is always much more risky than to an institution who lends to thousands of borrowers thus spreading the risk. To lose your money in an institution the whole institution has to fail but an individual is much more likely to be unable to pay - especially now during coronavirus hysteria.

To answer your question - Prasac is now offering 7% I believe and LOLC is likely to be similar. In terms of risk I would suggest that LOLC is higher risk than Prasac. LOLC is owned by an obscure private company in Singapore which is likely owned by Sri Lankan interests. Prasac however is owned by Kookmin Bank from Korea and is a much larger institution. For these reasons I would recommend Prasac.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Prasac was Sri Lankan owned until recently, but perhaps you mean their operations were more transparent than LOLC?
Last edited by Bitte_Kein_Lexus on Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Prassac was previously owned by LOLC until they sold to kb
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

interest for 12 months same as 24 or 36 so why tie it up??
7.25%
https://www.prasac.com.kh/en/services/d ... it-account
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:20 pm interest for 12 months same as 24 or 36 so why tie it up??
7.25%
https://www.prasac.com.kh/en/services/d ... it-account
No this is wrong theory. A longer term means the potential total earnings are greater. This assumes the interest is fixed for the term which it usually is (but not always - check the conditions). Only invest in short term interest bearing securities if you believe interest rates will increase during the term. The only other reason is if you think you will need the capital after the shorter term.

I know Prasac was owned by LOLC before but not now. The ownership of LOLC Cambodia is obscure which is why I believe its a higher risk.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

samrong01 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:48 pm I have to disagree with truffle dog. Lending to a single borrower is always much more risky than to an institution who lends to thousands of borrowers thus spreading the risk. To lose your money in an institution the whole institution has to fail but an individual is much more likely to be unable to pay - especially now during coronavirus hysteria.

To answer your question - Prasac is now offering 7% I believe and LOLC is likely to be similar. In terms of risk I would suggest that LOLC is higher risk than Prasac. LOLC is owned by an obscure private company in Singapore which is likely owned by Sri Lankan interests. Prasac however is owned by Kookmin Bank from Korea and is a much larger institution. For these reasons I would recommend Prasac.
you forgot that i asked the direct loan to be secured by a collateral (like land or anything else that has real value in case of failing to repay). You do not have anything securing your lending to any cambodian bank, Thus direct (secured) lending in my case is to be considered safer. Up to you which one you prefer.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic