Looking for a piece of Paradise

Looking for an apartment to rent in Phnom Penh? We have you covered. This is a good starting point for expats who are in the process of moving to Cambodia to live and work. Finding a villa, condo, flat, or borey to stay in when you arrive is probably one of your top priorities. Check out our listings from the community! And if you have a house or apartment for rent, you're welcome to list it here for free. Kampot, Siem Reap, Battambang, Sihanoukville, and other provinces around Cambodia also have places to rent, but you might have better luck finding them on foot after you arrive, as the largest number of listings are in the capital city of Phnom Penh.
BigDee
Expatriate
Australia

Looking for a piece of Paradise

Post by BigDee »

I often hear stories of people buying homes on ok size blocks a little out of town for under 30K in places like Kampong Speu and Kampot etc.
I wonder how one goes about finding these gems, is there a web site, agent that anyone can recommend?
Just looking for somewhere to relax and enjoy on the weekends, ideally for me would be somewhere in the vicinity of roads numbers 3, 4, 41 and 43 Kampong Speu, Kampot, Kandal or even Takeo provinces.

Would appreciate any recommendations, guidance or personal experiences.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Looking for a piece of Paradise

Post by phuketrichard »

i found a piece of land with a small 1 bedroom house in kep, 4 months ago.
480 sq m, land filled in, electric on property, water Under $30,000
fire sale as they needed $$$, gf's sister ( she lives in Kep) found it thru friends.

By the time it hits an agent or is "Listed" the price has gone up 30-50%..

To get the lowest prices you need someone on the ground where you want to buy and a little bit of luck
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

BigDee wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:16 am I often hear stories of people buying homes on ok size blocks a little out of town for under 30K in places like Kampong Speu and Kampot etc.
I wonder how one goes about finding these gems, is there a web site, agent that anyone can recommend?
Just looking for somewhere to relax and enjoy on the weekends, ideally for me would be somewhere in the vicinity of roads numbers 3, 4, 41 and 43 Kampong Speu, Kampot, Kandal or even Takeo provinces.

Key word is 'boots on the ground'. I could get you a piece of land here (not what you're looking for, but as an example) for what you would consider really cheap. But I have knowledge about the local situation. You need someone similar in the provinces you mentioned.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Want to really save money? There are lots of houses in Detroit for less than $5,000. Dogs, security system, and bars on all windows and doors is optional and extra.
BigDee
Expatriate
Australia

Post by BigDee »

Marty wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:49 am Want to really save money? There are lots of houses in Detroit for less than $5,000. Dogs, security system, and bars on all windows and doors is optional and extra.
Pointless reply mate, oh wait let me join DEO
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Kammekor wrote:
BigDee wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:16 am I often hear stories of people buying homes on ok size blocks a little out of town for under 30K in places like Kampong Speu and Kampot etc.

Key word is 'boots on the ground'. I could get you a piece of land here (not what you're looking for, but as an example) for what you would consider really cheap. But I have knowledge about the local situation. You need someone similar in the provinces you mentioned.
Yep. The only way is to go looking yourself. I've bought several plots over the years (and sold some). Each one was a great deal, but every.single.one was found by yours truly, with boots on the ground. You'll find stuff with agents, but it'll never be a steal. It takes time though, and some nice people skills. Ad in you'll need to drive around areas you like for several days/weeks (over the course of months sometimes) till you find a few options.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Get a Khmer to do the talking once you find something, if they spot your face you'll get the new high price, just like at the market
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

BigDee wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:59 am
Marty wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:49 am Want to really save money? There are lots of houses in Detroit for less than $5,000. Dogs, security system, and bars on all windows and doors is optional and extra.
Pointless reply mate, oh wait let me join DEO
Now you be gettin' da right attitude, bro. Detroit Expats Online be just like dis forum, you'll be feelin' right at home.
basta.binici
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by basta.binici »

I have 1.5 hectares (3.7 acres) of land at $25K, 150 meters to the river, hard title

Location: 34 km to Kampot center, at Koh Sla, https://goo.gl/maps/EeABE5QoeReQDfVb6
BigDee
Expatriate
Australia

Post by BigDee »

basta.binici wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:47 pm I have 1.5 hectares (3.7 acres) of land at $25K, 150 meters to the river, hard title

Location: 34 km to Kampot center, at Koh Sla, https://goo.gl/maps/EeABE5QoeReQDfVb6
can you PM me the actual location of the block? pictures etc
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic