Mandatory quarantine for14days

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Re: Mandatory quarantine for14days

Post by truffledog »

I stayed many times at the Okay Boutique Hotel and would consider myself lucky to pass quarantine there. Excellent rooms, excellent food. Probably no access to the rooftop pool though. Maybe some grease will help?
work is for people who cant find truffles
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:07 pm So far I have counted at least 20 different hotels that are being used, probably more. I'll compile a list when I have time, but a list is of no use to anyone anyway as you don't get a choice.
Maybe we could get a quarantine hotel ratings systems going. It would be mostly just for fun, since as you say, there is no choice. Still, it might give incoming migrants some idea of what is in store and what is useful to bring for quarantine. And who knows, the hotels that are repeatedly rated as shit might buck up their service if they get enough flack online.

Thanks, I see a list has been started up. Good move guys. Now for the hotel ratings from all you expert quarantiners !
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Despite there being some serious deviation from the ministry guidelines by some of the more awful hotels, the stance of the authorities is that the negative reports made by myself and a few others were lies. This according to feedback by the journalists who wrote the K-times article.
Apparently, some efforts were made by certain individuals to identify the ‘informants’.
Getting those shit boxes shutdown or excluded is unlikely, I’d say. Too many people with a vested interest in the money making.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

truffledog wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:17 am I stayed many times at the Okay Boutique Hotel and would consider myself lucky to pass quarantine there. Excellent rooms, excellent food. Probably no access to the rooftop pool though. Maybe some grease will help?
There is no greasing of palms to choose the hotel you would like to be quarantined at. The hotels are allocated to flights by the MoH well before the flights arrive, it is all very well planned, organised and executed.

Currently Okay Boutique is where all passengers arriving from the UK, or holding a UK passport, are being quarantined...they're keeping them separate from others, which is pointless imo since they still arrived on a flight with passengers from elsewhere, and many of those arriving with UK passports haven't even travelled from the UK...Cambodian logic :ROFL:

And yes they are permitted to use the rooftop, but not the pool, they can sit up there and order drinks from the bar enjoying the fresh air.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:43 am Maybe we could get a quarantine hotel ratings systems going. It would be mostly just for fun, since as you say, there is no choice. Still, it might give incoming migrants some idea of what is in store and what is useful to bring for quarantine. And who knows, the hotels that are repeatedly rated as shit might buck up their service if they get enough flack online.

Thanks, I see a list has been started up. Good move guys. Now for the hotel ratings from all you expert quarantiners !
There is a great thread on the Cambodia Visa and Work Permit FB group, the "Quarantine Hotel Survey" thread which posters have been completing...

Hotel/Date:
Period Quarantined:
Room Rate:
Meals:
Meals Optional:
Facilities:
Deliveries:
Additional Charges:
Wifi:
Comments:
Children (if applicable):
Star Rating:
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:27 am
There is a great thread on the Cambodia Visa and Work Permit FB group,
It really is a great forum.

Any chance of making it public again? I used to read it daily but don't have a Bookface account. Do I really have to create a Facebook account just to read and contribute to it?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

I am fairly certain that you need to have a farcebook account to view anything at all on farcebook. It's not like a forum or website that anyone can just view.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I don't understand why they haven't transitioned to a system where travelers choose and book their quarantine hotel on their own. I think it would be in everyone's interest - better hotels get to charge more and I'm sure many travelers are willing to pay extra for some added comfort (or edible food for that matter!).
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Alex wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:16 pm I don't understand why they haven't transitioned to a system where travelers choose and book their quarantine hotel on their own. I think it would be in everyone's interest - better hotels get to charge more and I'm sure many travelers are willing to pay extra for some added comfort (or edible food for that matter!).
C'mon...surely you already know the answer to that :wink:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

One advantage i see to the Cambodian system, where everyone on a flight stays at the same hotel vs the Thai system where everyone can choose is......
if someone DOES test positive, they are all in the same hotel and it can more easily be monitored and contained.

Plus the reason we all know
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic