Australia ‘Deeply Troubled’ by China Coal Import Ban Report

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/australi ... 55999.html
(Bloomberg) -- Australia’s Trade Minister Simon Birmingham says he is “deeply troubled” by reports that China has formally banned imports of Australian coal, in the latest sign the dispute between the nations is worsening.

More than 50 ships carrying Australian coal have been stranded off China after ports were verbally told in October not to offload such shipments. China’s National Development and Reform Commission on Saturday appeared to formalize those curbs after giving power plants approval to import coal without restrictions, except from Australia, under efforts to tame price gains, the Global Times reported.

Read more: China Coal Futures Slide After NDRC Caps Price and Opens Imports

If true that would “indicate discriminatory trade practices,” Birmingham said. “The risk profile of trading with China has grown significantly during the course of this year,” he said in an interview Tuesday with Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio.

Australia’s coal producers tumbled in Sydney trading. Whitehaven Coal Ltd. fell 8.9% as of 10:45 a.m. local time, Yancoal Australia Ltd. fell 12.5% and New Hope Corp Ltd. declined 11.8%.

Ties between China and Australia have been fraught since 2018 when Canberra barred Huawei Technologies Co. from building its 5G network on national security grounds, and worsened this year after Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s government called for an international inquiry into the origins of the coronavirus. Beijing accuses Canberra of being a puppet of the U.S. and of meddling in its internal affairs.

China has hit Australian barley and wine with crippling tariffs and told traders to stop buying commodities including copper, sugar, timber and lobster.

It’s a marked reversal in the once cordial relationship that saw Australia host a state visit by President Xi Jinping in 2014 and sign a comprehensive free-trade agreement a year later.

The government is concerned that China’s actions don’t appear to be consistent with “the letter or the spirit” of that trade agreement, Birmingham said. Australia is very close to mounting a case against the barley tariffs at the World Trade Organization and is considering the avenues open to it for coal, he said.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Australia ‘Deeply Troubled’ by China Coal Import Ban Report

Post by nemo »

Jack up the price on Iron ore- Brasil and Africa can't supply them for several years.
We can make steel in Australia too.
Green steel, made without coal is the future.
https://theconversation.com/australians ... art-137999
pauloxleyisland
Expatriate
Australia

Post by pauloxleyisland »

Time for a reset, nobody can survive being bullied and dictated to. Hope our leaders in Australia stay strong and start playing hard ball with them. I personally would let them have nothing, and stop imports coming in for a “sin bin” period. But that’s why I’m a truck driver and not a politician, emotions get in the way and I get to the “get fucked” stage to quick
I know the big words make your cock feel bigger, but I’m just an old truck driver keep it simple aye! 8)
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

I can promise you one thing, Aussies will live in a tin shed before they knuckle under and kowtow to these cunts.
flea
BANNED

Post by flea »

Maybe Australia should go back to taking orders from the United Kingdom?🤣🤣
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

I am sure Brexit will figure into the new trade relationships that arise from decoupling with China.
It was certainly a successful relationship prior to the EEC.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

nemo wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:25 pm I can promise you one thing, Aussies will live in a tin shed before they knuckle under and kowtow to these cunts.
Right on! That's what I like to hear. :thumb:
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

People sometimes think Australians are soft because of their noted politeness and civility.
Never forget their willingness to go fight anywhere any time.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

The Empire is dead and buried.
Maybe you will need to eat Humble Pie if you want to eat at all, now you have divorced the Spanish tunnels that provide all your fresh veg.
I predict a return in popularity of the Victory Garden with Swedes and Turnips as the main menu item now all the Cod is gone.

Send your food orders to Oz and NZ.
flea
BANNED

Post by flea »

nemo wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:10 pm
The Empire is dead and buried.
Maybe you will need to eat Humble Pie if you want to eat at all, now you have divorced the Spanish tunnels that provide all your fresh veg.
I predict a return in popularity of the Victory Garden with Swedes and Turnips as the main menu item now all the Cod is gone.

Send your food orders to Oz and NZ.
Ok✊
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic