Metro - Mixed Grill Deal

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Metro - Mixed Grill Deal

Post by Doc67 »

Hey foodies, this is a good deal at the moment.

Metro on Riverside is offering it's mixed grill for $10, down from the usual $18.50. You could be forgiven for missing it, there is no promotion of it in the restaurant that I could see, nothing on the menu and nor is it mentioned on the specials menu. So, if you go in, do check that it is still running.

Steak (Sirloin/Striploin), a very decent size for a dish like this, some prawns, very nice roasted new potatoes and a side salad with grated Parmesan cheese. Very tasty it is too. The pepper sauce is excellent.

$2.20++ for a Coke Light is a bit rich, but they do have bottles of Lao for the strangely cheap price of $2.50, which is good for a place like Metro.

Anyway, here's the pics:

Medium Rare

Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Metro - Mixed Grill Deal

Post by Username Taken »

Aside from the sirloin and the prawns, where's the rest of the mixed grill. Lamb's Fry, Bacon, Sausage???
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Username Taken wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:52 am Aside from the sirloin and the prawns, where's the rest of the mixed grill. Lamb's Fry, Bacon, Sausage???
Bacon, sausage? It's not a greasy spoon you know...

What's "Lamb's Fry"?
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Very nice.

I'm usually there semi-regularly for the eggs Benedict and tight skirts.............I'll be sure to check out this mixed grill. :thumb:
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Brody wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:18 am Very nice.

I'm usually there semi-regularly for the eggs Benedict and tight skirts.............I'll be sure to check out this mixed grill. :thumb:
In fairness to @Username Taken it is in fact steak, potatoes and salad, with a few prawns thrown in and a nice pepper sauce; perhaps "mixed grill" is a bit of stretch. But it is worth $10 all said and done. Steak was lovely.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:58 am
Username Taken wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:52 am Aside from the sirloin and the prawns, where's the rest of the mixed grill. Lamb's Fry, Bacon, Sausage???

What's "Lamb's Fry"?
Considering that I was raised on meat and 3 vege, I always assumed that mixed grill was yet another pommie dish. I guess it's not. :Rose:

Greasy Spoon? You got me there. I had to ask Google about that, and the Big G reckons that a greasy spoon is a cheap roadside diner.
Google images on the other hand would suggest that it's a bit of a fry up.

Anywho, here's a couple of images of what an Aussie would consider a mixed grill ('mixed' because there is a mix of meats). No sign of the lamb's fry but that's okay as I was never a big fan of liver anyway.

As for Lamb's Fry, I had to resort to Wikipedia as I was surprised that you hadn't heard of it.
After reading this, I'm glad I had the Aussie version, not the yank or pommie one. :bad:

Wikipedia on Lamb's Fry:
"In Australia and New Zealand, lamb's fry is specifically the liver; in the United States, "lamb fries" (q.v.) are specifically the testicles. In the U.K., it was all offal, though recently testicle has become rare."

Carry on :hattip:
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:42 am In fairness to @Username Taken it is in fact
Testing the mention thingy @Doc67

Mmm, not sure what you're doing, but the above shows that you have my name in 'tags' - "[ tag ]" << that minus the spaces.
Whereas I have your name in 'mentions'.

Are you starting with an ampersand, then username?
BigDee
Expatriate
Australia

Post by BigDee »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:42 am

In fairness to @Username Taken it is in fact steak, potatoes and salad, with a few prawns thrown in and a nice pepper sauce; perhaps "mixed grill" is a bit of stretch. But it is worth $10 all said and done. Steak was lovely.
I would go as far as saying its a Surf and Turf as apposed to a mixed grill, looks the goods for 10 bucks - ill be there tonight
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Username Taken wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:01 am
Doc67 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:58 am

What's "Lamb's Fry"?
Considering that I was raised on meat and 3 vege, I always assumed that mixed grill was yet another pommie dish. I guess it's not. :Rose:

Greasy Spoon? You got me there. I had to ask Google about that, and the Big G reckons that a greasy spoon is a cheap roadside diner.
Google images on the other hand would suggest that it's a bit of a fry up.

Anywho, here's a couple of images of what an Aussie would consider a mixed grill ('mixed' because there is a mix of meats). No sign of the lamb's fry but that's okay as I was never a big fan of liver anyway.

daaaaaymn G... that Grill sounds awful!!! you dont put bacon on a Mixed Grill!! Its supposed to be a Gammon Steak!! and wheres the Chicken?!

an English Mixed Grill consists of Rump/Sirloin Steak, Chicken Breast, Gammon Steak, Sausages, Fried Eggs, Beans/Peas, Tomato, Mushrooms, Onion Rings and Chips!!! (fancy places you might get ribs too)
you need the 3 main meats on a mixed grill Beef/Pork/Chicken if it doesnt have these its not a mixed grill :facepalm:

ImageImageImageImage

also a Greasy spoon is just an oldschool cafe, the best place to get a full english breakfast is at a greasy spoon, im sure its where it gets its name from
watch this video lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic