why you wouldn't survive a thai prison

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
sammycooke
Expatriate
Canada

Re: why you wouldn't survive a thai prison

Post by sammycooke »

Naw, you haven't experienced fuck all until you've been confined in my private prison with the meany warden/wife.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

But of all the prisons in the world - if you could choose where to go - where and why?
Stay classy na
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Halden Prison in Norway is considered one of the most comfortable in the world.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:44 pm Halden Prison in Norway is considered one of the most comfortable in the world.
No, Bastoy Prison, also in Norway:

Located on the Bastoy Prison Island in Norway, this prison is known to do things differently. Located 46 miles southeast of the country’s capital, the Bastoy Prison houses not more than 100 murderers and rapists. The prison complex has amenities such as horseback riding, fishing, tennis lessons, and sunbathing. Prisoners have cottages for homes and lush farms to go to work. According to The Guardian, despite the minimum security, the prison has the lowest reoffending rate in Europe.
Dario
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Dario »

alexvanlaar wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:04 am Thai Police do NOT give Farangs( americans, Europeans, Aussies etc, I mean Caucasians etc.) a beating! If you don't hit them first..... these are all B/S-stories.
Maybe they threaten you: you go inside, bla,bla,bla, but beating them up? No! Even they killed their Thai-wife, no beating! Believe me. This is 2020!!!
Iirc you were once an inmate too, weren't you?
I was in Phuket Prison 93/94 & i can confirm that farangs don't get beaten. Not even me, who once accidentally doused a guard with a garden hose in front of everyone. For a thai inmate that would have been a death sentence. He lost face big time.
I was scared tbh, did a deep dive wai: kor thot na kap, kor thot na kap, (so sorry), until he laughed it off.
There were regular public beatings, (he stole a fish head f. ex. as given explanation). Some of them just vanished after that. It was no secret that if you misbehaved chances were you'd get offed by the guards, (if you were thai or burmese, that is)

I agree also with the poster who mentioned the sensationalist nature of the feature. Some things are true, there's only fish head soup & grey rice in the canteen, but there's also a kiosk where you can buy common thai dishes in styropor for back then 30 baht, (outside it would have been 20).

Other things are exaggerated or outright fictional

Obviously, if you wanna sell your book, the 300th on that topic, it has to be spicy.

PS: just noticed i'm pretty late to the thread. oh well
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic