Covid 19 Relief for Tourist Industry Employees based on Ministry of Labor Notification from November 26th

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
JonnyBeeGee
Tourist
Lithuania

Covid 19 Relief for Tourist Industry Employees based on Ministry of Labor Notification from November 26th

Post by JonnyBeeGee »

Good morning Expats Online,

Had a question here about benefits for tourist (and garment) industry workers whose work has been suspended due to Covid 19.

It seems like from the Ministry of Labor's website that provision has been made to continue some monthly payments to these suspended workers. (There is a notification that seems to have been broadcast on the 26th of November) From what I gather, 40$ per month.

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has knowledge of the particulars / process of this provision.

Some questions I have are:

1) Do suspended workers need to apply for "unemployment benefits" through the Ministry of labor like in perhaps more developed countries?
2) If not #1, is the government providing eligible employers (I'm assuming they must be fully and properly "registered" businesses to qualify) with the funds to continue minimal payments to suspended employees? Would it just be left up to these businesses to use these distributed funds appropriately or is there a government watchdog?

I've lived in SE Asia for many years so I don't need information that I'm already aware of like, "Come on man. This is Cambodia. There is rampant corruption."

I'm really just looking for constructive knowledge of how and if this government provision is being implemented, possibly to help advise someone in the industry of steps to take.

For reference, the document in Khmer can be found here (sorry for the long link):

http://www.mlvt.gov.kh/index.php?option ... 13&lang=en
JonnyBeeGee
Tourist
Lithuania

Re: Covid 19 Relief for Tourist Industry Employees based on Ministry of Labor Notification from November 26th

Post by JonnyBeeGee »

Hi everyone!

I just kind of answered my own question.

Dived back into the document and realized that in the table, there are companies listed that are eligible for these benefits.

There are a few companies from Siem Reap, and a few companies from Phnom Penh that are listed, but they are large tourism companies/businesses, such as the Cambodiana Hotel...

It looks like for the vast majority of tourist businesses and suspended employees, there is no relief coming, at least from the Ministry of Labor.

Companies seem to be left on their own to either retain some/all employees, or let them all go.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic