Advice on taxi Phnom Penh - Sihanoukville

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Schrodinger's Dog
Expatriate

Advice on taxi Phnom Penh - Sihanoukville

Post by Schrodinger's Dog »

Will be arriving at PP airport at around 4.30pm on Thursday and pretty surely won't be able to catch the last bus down to Sihanoukville at around 5.30pm. Therefore thought about going with a taxi (as I would like to be finally done with cars, busses, planes, whatever for a few days) and not spending a night somewhere in Pnomh Penh like initially planned.

Just researched a bit on some prices and seems like there's hardly something to find below $65-75. Does probably someone know of a cheaper taxi? And if not: Can recommend a good company/driver?

Also: Any chances on finding a taxi directly at PP airport that would drive down to Snooky or are the chances for that near Central Market still better?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Advice on taxi Phnom Penh - Sihanoukville

Post by General Mackevili »

Schrodinger's Dog wrote:Will be arriving at PP airport at around 4.30pm on Thursday and pretty surely won't be able to catch the last bus down to Sihanoukville at around 5.30pm. Therefore thought about going with a taxi (as I would like to be finally done with cars, busses, planes, whatever for a few days) and not spending a night somewhere in Pnomh Penh like initially planned.

Just researched a bit on some prices and seems like there's hardly something to find below $65-75. Does probably someone know of a cheaper taxi? And if not: Can recommend a good company/driver?

Also: Any chances on finding a taxi directly at PP airport that would drive down to Snooky or are the chances for that near Central Market still better?
I think there's a chance you'll find a taxi right at the airport willing to take you to Sihanoukville for $50 right then and there.

Maybe start at $40, and who knows, you might get that.

For a trip like this, I would ignore all the touts in the airport and walk 3 minutes right out the front to the main road and ONLY talk to them.

They will of course try to get the most they think they can squeeze outta you for the trip. Hell, maybe even one of them will be able to help you jump on a $4 bus when it passes if you pay them $10 for the ticket, LoL, seriously.

I have a feeling your thus far "smooth sailing" trip won't disappoint on this leg of the journey either!
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

the earlier in the day you go- the cheaper the price because the driver has a better chance to get a fare home to PP without remaining overnight in SV.

I have never paid less than 50- that is morning price.

it is unwise to travel NH4 after dark due to the increased chance of accidents.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

I was thinking it might be late enough to catch a driver wanting to actually head to the beach that day and stay.

All hit or miss.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Is there a night bus from
PP to SNV?
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

yes, for those with a death wish.
not joking.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

I usually get a tuk tuk to call a guy and take me across the street. If you just walked over there you would save the tuk tuk's cut $5. I've never paid > $50 all in and I'm usually arriving late afternoon on the Air Asia flight from DMK. Fuel is cheaper now. If you can find a driver from SV who wants to go home $40 is maybe possible. ps: Rather than arriving late in SV, why don't you rethink this, grab a room, fuck around in PP for the night, & take Giant Ibis in the morning. That's what I do more often than not. Tuk Tuk $7 + GI $11 = $18 vs $50. It gives you $32 for a better dinner and cocktails than you can get in SV. You could grab GI's 9:25 PM after dinner and cocktails in PP too.
Last edited by wackyjacky on Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:57 am, edited 6 times in total.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

frank lee bent wrote:yes, for those with a death wish.
not joking.
I took the night bus to snooky a few times. i am happy that i am still alive. The driver drove crazy while everyone asleep. I guess i was the only passenger who awake. Will not recommend for night bus actually.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

I Never take a taxi at night on Highway #4 (death Highway from Hell.) Way too dangerous. Cars, trucks. motos with no lights, crazed/drink/stoned container/beer truck drivers, livestock on the road. (its bad enough in the daytime!) If I'm that late I take a tuk-tuk/taxi downtown to the Pickled Parrot/Tonle Sap Guesthouse (St #104) get a room for the night ($20), have a Mexican meal around the corner, get a good nights sleep (or get drunk/party) and have them order me a cab for the next day. (or Giant Ibus bus station is just around the corner in St. 106, book ahead as its the high season)

I believe there are also a couple inexpensive hotels across from the airport.
Schrodinger's Dog
Expatriate

Post by Schrodinger's Dog »

Actually managed to get it for $45 just outside the PP airport at around 5.30pm. The guy started at $100, don't wanted to go below $60 so I walked off. Few seconds later he came back, offered $50, I said $30 so we agreed on $45. Was a rather new Toyota SUV and the driver was fast but surprisingly safe. Took about 3h including the evening rush hour outside PP. Not too bad at all. Didn't feel uncomfortable or insecure once.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic