Meet Srey Roth: Cambodian power woman, big bike rider and her Beagle riding companion

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Meet Srey Roth: Cambodian power woman, big bike rider and her Beagle riding companion

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Srey Roth does not lack talents. While she earns a leaving in real estate, she is an artist and dreamer at heart. Raised in a poor family, she promised herself she would board those planes flying above her head one day. She learnt English on YouTube while doing some security jobs, and also got inspired by strong women riders online. She always wanted to be different from the others in her village and, while her mum didn't want her to get a big bike, she moved to town, learnt by herself and bought her first motorcycle. She now has 4 and plans to ride to Laos and Thailand. She feels safer, more confident and independent on big motorcycles despite her tiny stature (1m58 for 42 kgs!). She loves challenges and adventures, and hopes for more women to explore their capabilities on 2 wheels because after all, "everything men do, woman also can do".

Hear about her life and how motorcycling has always been part of it, and meet her adorable riding companion Beagle.

Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Meet Sreyroth: Cambodian power woman, big bike rider and her Beagle riding companion

Post by Brody »

Jesus, that's a beautiful woman.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Meet Sreyroth: Cambodian power woman, big bike rider and her Beagle riding companion

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Brody wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:18 pm Jesus, that's a beautiful woman.
:OD:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Which one?

Anyway. No video of her riding of her dog.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Johno35
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Johno35 »

Whichever expat trained her up to be a strong independent woman did a great job.
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

whatwat wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:58 pm
Which one?

Anyway. No video of her riding of her dog.
Yeah, I was disappointed, expecting to see a 'strong, beautiful Cambodian woman' riding a big bike with her dog, instead got a split screen conversation with a homely French lass being patronising and waffling on for far too long. Well I say that, I just watched the first minute then skipped through the rest. Boring.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

How is it boring?

By Khmer village standards, she is very radical.

She didn’t shack up with an expat to learn English.
She learned it on YouTube. And was bold enough to practice, practice, practice. Same with the transition to big bikes.

She rides big bikes, has tattoos, and hangs out with foreigners.

She’s probably been labeled a bad girl for living life on her terms.

And that’s boring to some on CEO?
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

I’m sure she’s not boring but the video is plus any Frenchy speaking English is just annoying.
Johno35
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Johno35 »

I think she’s fantastic and kudos to her for being a strong Khmer woman! I honestly wish some of the Khmer girls I dated would have taken a note from her. Some Khmer girls I dated would refuse to even take a tuk tuk or fly alone. Zero independence. And I honestly wouldn’t want to date the “traditional” Khmer woman anymore. It’s such a long tiring process to get them to the level of expat Khmer girlfriend who can ride big bikes. And not all want to be an expat Khmer girlfriend with an independent spirit.

I prefer the expat-girlfriend sort of Khmer girls like Srey Roth.....they’ve already had years of training in the Western ways and it’s easier for some other Barang to put in the years of groundwork it takes to help get them to that level. They’ve traveled, they can go eat at different kinds of restaurants, you can take them out for a drink, and they’re open to new ideas and different ways of living than typical Khmers. The only problem is snagging one while they don’t have a Barang boyfriend!
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Wow. Patronising much.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic