Cameroon Man ASHU GEORGE EBOT Caught in Fake Money 'Sting'

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cameroon Man ASHU GEORGE EBOT Caught in Fake Money 'Sting'

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, (Phnom Penh): After receiving orders from General Sao Sokha, Deputy Commander of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces, Major General Sea Sambath, Commissioner of Crime Investigation, and Colonel Sim Channara, Director of the Office of Criminal Investigation and Suppression, received a complaint from a Cambodian man, Chhay Sambath, against ASHU GEORGE EBOT, a 38-year-old man from Cameroon, residing in Phnom Penh, charging him with committing "fraud, aggravated theft and aggravated robbery" on November 30, 2020 in Phnom Penh.
Special Forces from the Criminal Police Office of the National Police organized a 'sting' operation, and arrested the suspect at 0:30am on December 9, 2020 in front of ABA Chamkar Dong Bank, Street 217, Sangkat Cheung Ek, Khan Dangkor, Phnom Penh.

The authorities then took the Cameroonian man to his residence at Apartment Baly 3, Room B16, 17th Floor, Keo Chanda Street, Khan Chroy Changva, Phnom Penh, and seized the following exhibits:
- Black paper for making dollar bills
- Ink bottles for mixing to make dollars, 1 big bottle, 5 small bottles
- 1 bag of white powder, 1 bottle of oil
- $ 7,100 and $ 500 cash
- a Toyota Yaris car, license plate number 2I 7337

The suspect was sent to court by the Office of Investigation and Suppression of Crimes of the National Gendarmerie.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
ergosemper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cameroon Man ASHU GEORGE EBOT Caught in Fake Money 'Sting'

Post by ergosemper »

The original report mentions:

ជនសង្ស័យ នៅតែបន្តធ្វើសកម្មភាព Charts តាម WhatsApp ទារប្រាក់ពីជនរងគ្រោះបន្ថែមទៀត ចំនួន ៣៥ ម៉ឺន ដែលខ្លួនជនសង្ស័យបានទទួលប្រាក់លើកទី១ ចំនួន ២៨៧,៥០០ ដុល្លារ រួចហើយ។

Am I to understand that the victim already prepaid $287,500?

Speechless.
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

I always have a sneaking admiration for counterfeiters. Making even a reasonable reproduction of USD is a complex and highly skilled process, requiring a standard of draftsmanship and artistic talent way above the norm. I wonder how much more successful a guy like that would be if he used his talents legally?
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Deefer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Deefer »

This sounds like the black money scam, (not to be confused with counterfeiting) sometimes also known as the "black dollar scam" or "wash wash scam", is a scam where con artists attempt to fraudulently obtain money from a victim by convincing them that piles of banknote-sized paper in a trunk or a safe are actually currency notes that have been dyed to avoid detection by authorities. The victim is persuaded to pay fees and purchase chemicals to remove the dye, with the promise of a share in the proceeds.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Deefer wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:21 am This sounds like the black money scam, (not to be confused with counterfeiting) sometimes also known as the "black dollar scam" or "wash wash scam", is a scam where con artists attempt to fraudulently obtain money from a victim by convincing them that piles of banknote-sized paper in a trunk or a safe are actually currency notes that have been dyed to avoid detection by authorities. The victim is persuaded to pay fees and purchase chemicals to remove the dye, with the promise of a share in the proceeds.
Interesting, and sort of a high tech scam. I bet there's plenty who fall for it.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

lagrange wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:39 am I always have a sneaking admiration for counterfeiters. Making even a reasonable reproduction of USD is a complex and highly skilled process, requiring a standard of draftsmanship and artistic talent way above the norm. I wonder how much more successful a guy like that would be if he used his talents legally?
Yes the task would be difficult with all the security measures these days. But the big kicker is the paper. Can tell by feel right away. I remember in the souvenir shops in New Orleans, and probably other places, seeing big bags of US notes that had been shredded as a weird souvenir. I wondered if you could, through some chemical process, make a slurry of that and reconstitute it as paper. It might fool people. Or the feel might not be quite right because the fibers would be smaller or shorter.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Marty wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:36 am
Deefer wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:21 am This sounds like the black money scam, (not to be confused with counterfeiting) sometimes also known as the "black dollar scam" or "wash wash scam", is a scam where con artists attempt to fraudulently obtain money from a victim by convincing them that piles of banknote-sized paper in a trunk or a safe are actually currency notes that have been dyed to avoid detection by authorities. The victim is persuaded to pay fees and purchase chemicals to remove the dye, with the promise of a share in the proceeds.
Interesting, and sort of a high tech scam. I bet there's plenty who fall for it.
It has been in Cambodia for quite some time. Plus it's got its own entry in Wikipedia >> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_money_scam

Previous reports on CEO
newsworthy/two-nigerians-and-cambodian- ... 11011.html
newsworthy/cameroonians-cambodians-arre ... 14615.html
newsworthy/liberians-sentenced-for-famo ... 19983.html

From wikipedia:
I am a lawyer in Belgium and I am charged with seeking the rightful heir to certain assets which were deposited many years ago with a security company here in Brussels by a man who died a few years ago. We have made extensive searches to find any living heirs, but with minimal success. A man with your name is named in the Will and Testament as being the only beneficiary of these assets. We believe that you may be the person entitled and are writing to enquire if you have any dead relatives or friends who may have named you as a beneficiary of these assets in their will and testament. If so please let us have their names and any other information so we can check if you are indeed the beneficiary. The amount of the assets is $150,000 and one large trunk, contents unknown. Please reply immediately
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Marty wrote:Yes the task would be difficult with all the security measures these days. But the big kicker is the paper. Can tell by feel right away. I remember in the souvenir shops in New Orleans, and probably other places, seeing big bags of US notes that had been shredded as a weird souvenir. I wondered if you could, through some chemical process, make a slurry of that and reconstitute it as paper. It might fool people. Or the feel might not be quite right because the fibers would be smaller or shorter.
The North Koreans could tell you..
That is if they don’t shoot you first.

They’ve got the same presses, the same plates, the same paper, same thread injector as the one’s at the US Treasury. And a big reason to counterfeit (need for hard currency). Easily passing any ordinary sniff test.

Only a forensic exam by a senior Treasury agent under magnifying glass or microscope can tell the difference.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:32 am
Marty wrote:Yes the task would be difficult with all the security measures these days. But the big kicker is the paper. Can tell by feel right away. I remember in the souvenir shops in New Orleans, and probably other places, seeing big bags of US notes that had been shredded as a weird souvenir. I wondered if you could, through some chemical process, make a slurry of that and reconstitute it as paper. It might fool people. Or the feel might not be quite right because the fibers would be smaller or shorter.
The North Koreans could tell you..
That is if they don’t shoot you first.

They’ve got the same presses, the same plates, the same paper, same thread injector as the one’s at the US Treasury. And a big reason to counterfeit (need for hard currency). Easily passing any ordinary sniff test.

Only a forensic exam by a senior Treasury agent under magnifying glass or microscope can tell the difference.
NK notes showed up in ATMs around town circa 2008 - 2009. Good fakes, but not perfect if you knew what to look for. Feel was off a bit and the security strip did not fluoresce the proper red or pink color.

On to the OP and what other commenters stated, yup, the old black money scam.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Felgerkarb wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:02 am NK notes showed up in ATMs around town circa 2008 - 2009. Good fakes, but not perfect if you knew what to look for. Feel was off a bit and the security strip did not fluoresce the proper red or pink color.
Any current intel?

I'll split the reward dough with you. ;-)

https://kh.usembassy.gov/reward-up-to-5-million/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic