Wiring a light fixture?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
chinesetakeaway
Expatriate
Niue

Re: Wiring a light fixture?

Post by chinesetakeaway »

After wiring the socket the light didn't work. Anyway removing the insulation tape shows that the two wires are joined and then connected only to the blue wire. Other than not working is this dangerous?
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

LOL. The two wires from the ceiling or wall are just twisted together? I'd check it with a voltmeter if I were you, and it is always poor practice and possibly life threatening if a person becomes part of the current path.
chinesetakeaway
Expatriate
Niue

Post by chinesetakeaway »

Marty wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:55 pm LOL. The two wires from the ceiling or wall are just twisted together? I'd check it with a voltmeter if I were you, and it is always poor practice and possibly life threatening if a person becomes part of the current path.
Twisted together and then connected to just the blue wire and covered in insulation tape which I took off.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:00 pm How many CEO's does it take to wire a plug?
12. One to hold the ladder, one to twist the wires together, and 10 on the guest list.
BigDee
Expatriate
Australia

Post by BigDee »

chinesetakeaway wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:38 pm Image

After wiring the socket the light didn't work. Anyway removing the insulation tape shows that the two wires are joined and then connected only to the blue wire. Other than not working is this dangerous?
Common on the positive path, at either the light fixture or the switch on the wall.
Almost away at the switch or if multiple sockets on one switch, then also at the socket.

This has been going on now for a while mate, best you get someone who knows what's going on to come round b4 you burn the place down.

Electricity is a silent killer,
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

BigDee wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:18 pm
chinesetakeaway wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:38 pm Image

Common on the positive path, at either the light fixture or the switch on the wall.
Almost away at the switch or if multiple sockets on one switch, then also at the socket.

This has been going on now for a while mate, best you get someone who knows what's going on to come round b4 you burn the place down.

Electricity is a silent killer,
That is probably the best piece of advice I have seen here in 3 years.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic