Fee for receiving parcels in Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Joakim
Expatriate
Sweden

Fee for receiving parcels in Cambodia?

Post by Joakim »

Rookiequestion about sending parcel to KoW.
When I send I have to declare what's inside packet and value.
As I understand VAT and Toll is payed by receiver.
Is this a fact? How much is it? Do they charge it randomly or always?
For ex iPhone 11: Bought for 750US. New in box.
Maybe better just to write: "used phone value 200"?
Any input about company for shipping?
Approx prices for 1kg from Sweden.
DHL 95US
EMS 45US

Joakim
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Fee for reciving parcels in Cambodia?

Post by cptrelentless »

Joakim wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:06 pm Rookiequestion about sending parcel to KoW.
When I send I have to declare what's inside packet and value.
As I understand VAT and Toll is payed by receiver.
Is this a fact? How much is it? Do they charge it randomly or always?
For ex iPhone 11: Bought for 750US. New in box.
Maybe better just to write: "used phone value 200"?
Any input about company for shipping?
Approx prices for 1kg from Sweden.
DHL 95US
EMS 45US

Joakim
Used phone 0 value. Phones are not insured, anyhow. Send it in the post, tracked and signed for. Take it out of the damned box.
ssian
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Fee for reciving parcels in Cambodia?

Post by ssian »

You still need to pay a storage fee to the post office if via normal postage.. . tthey will cut open at the post office when your recipient went to collect it and check if it's really what as mentioned... Via ems
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Fee for receiving parcels in Cambodia?

Post by Bluenose »

Certainly for DHL the sender will have to declare a value for anything other than documents, they will not accept 0. For EMS the sender will also need to fill in a form and again a value will be required. Under de minimis rules a value of $50 or less doesn't require any import duty/tax payment (assuming that Customs don't query the value).
Up to $300 you can do an easy clearance but duty and VAT is payable and there is a 20% surcharge.
Above that value gets expensive to clear.
That's the official way. What you arrange with the staff at the Post Office is up to you.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Bluenose wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:57 am Certainly for DHL the sender will have to declare a value for anything other than documents, they will not accept 0. For EMS the sender will also need to fill in a form and again a value will be required. Under de minimis rules a value of $50 or less doesn't require any import duty/tax payment (assuming that Customs don't query the value).
Up to $300 you can do an easy clearance but duty and VAT is payable and there is a 20% surcharge.
Above that value gets expensive to clear.
That's the official way. What you arrange with the staff at the Post Office is up to you.
The amount of duty payable depends on the item. Need to refer to the schedule. Some of them are pretty hefty.

Hot tip: if they ask you "how much did you pay?" you need to say "I can't remember/my girlfriend ordered it.. it should say right there on the declaration" because they will try to catch you out.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I recently received a DHL parcel which included a mix of chemist items such as cosmetics, non prescription medicine and contact lens. I didn't check the import duty schedule but was prepared to pay whatever. Prior to arrival in PP, I got an sms from them asking which DHL office I wanted to pick from as they wouldn't home deliver coz import duty may be able. It was declared as $A equivalent to $US400 and listed as pharmacy items and contact lens.

Anyway, to my surprise there was no duty.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Just received a parcel from India via EMS. Correctly declared as commercial supply of drugs with value $360. I paid nothing at all and the package was not opened.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Medicines have 0% duty rate
Joakim
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Joakim »

I send with some kind of EMS trackable 0,5 kilo cost 20US from Sweden
"Used phone" Value 400SEK (appr 47US)
Parcel arrived today. It took 8 working days just before X-mas.
No VAT, not opend. No questions.
PostOffice called and she ask for delivery and it took not long time until they came.
As I understand no fee at all but she gave som tip.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Joakim wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:26 pm I send with some kind of EMS trackable 0,5 kilo cost 20US from Sweden
"Used phone" Value 400SEK (appr 47US)
Parcel arrived today. It took 8 working days just before X-mas.
No VAT, not opend. No questions.
PostOffice called and she ask for delivery and it took not long time until they came.
As I understand no fee at all but she gave som tip.
Lucky. If they'd got Customs to take a look and they'd opened it you'd have been up for VAT 10% of the actual value at the very least.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic