To Mask or Not to Mask : Cambodian Expats, Do You Wear a Mask ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

Do you wear a mask in Cambodia?

Never
3%
Hardly ever
18%
Sometimes
45%
Always
33%

Total votes: 60
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

To Mask or Not to Mask : Cambodian Expats, Do You Wear a Mask ?

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Please don't derail this thread about wearing masks in other countries and stick to the topic. The KT article below suggests that western foreigners in Cambodia tend to be anti-mask, so let's check out the opinion of CEO forum members.

Do you wear a mask in Cambodia - never, hardly ever, sometimes when out and about, or always ? What about your Khmer family and friends ? Do they have an opinion on whether you should wear a mask ?
Has your attitude changed since the recent Covid-19 outbreak in Phnom Penh ? Has anyone looked at you sideways because you are not wearing a mask ? And what is the situation in the provinces and the countryside ? Comments ?

December 9, 2020
Differing views on facemask use between expats and locals
Brian Badzmierowski / Khmer Times

After Cambodia reported its first case of COVID-19 community transmission on November 28 at Aeon 1 Mall in Phnom Penh, facemasks have become a part of the dress code in Phnom Penh as once-busy street corners and shops have emptied.

But according to locals and foreigners interviewed in the capital, expats appear more resistant to wearing masks consistently or hunkering down indoors to prevent the spread of the virus.

Anti-mask activists are in good company outside of Asia and Southeast Asia, where anti-mask rallies have been held, notably in the West, since mask requirements became the norm. A rally in Vancouver, Canada recently drew 400 anti-mask protesters denouncing virus prevention measures, according to Global News.

While no anti-mask rallies are planned for Phnom Penh, some of the anti-mask sentiment appears to exist.

On Monday, Pietro Tartaglia, a foreign teacher based in Phnom Penh was walking in Tuol Tompoung with a mask dangling from his arm which was gifted to him by a local shop owner.

He said if he’s walking around town he typically won’t wear a mask, although he does make sure to maintain a respectable distance from others. He wears a mask at his school, where it’s required, but normally, he prefers to live mask-free as it affects his breathing.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50791027/d ... emask-use/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Re: To Mask or Not to Mask : Cambodian Expats, Do You Wear a Mask ?

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I have a stock of N95 masks 3M brand.

I keep one under my moto seat in case etiquette dictates I should wear one at any time.

On a bus I wear one for years, and on a moto trip also as my nose is absolutely xunted and does not like red dust
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Add a poll.

I wear the mask when inside or near people. I first wore a mask when I was in Japan about 15 years ago and was a bit sick, don't see why you wouldn't out of respect for others.
ssian
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ssian »

Value life than own stupidity...
People are stubborn until they themselves got caught up with the situation or something worse...
Prevention is always better than cure and dont let stupidity get into your way...
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

When in Rome...
BigDee
Expatriate
Australia

Post by BigDee »

Mask on when shopping or in PassApp.
Mask off in Bars and Restaurants (stupid i know but whisky kills everything lol)

i am antisocial so no real ppl contact daily

Girlfriend follows suite
Arthur&Hobson
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Arthur&Hobson »

Yes, I wear the mask. Just reached retirement and I want to live to enjoy it! For me, I just don't want to take any chances. Just a personal view and I respect the views of the people that choose not to wear it.
"Perhaps you would like me to come in there and wash your #### for you, you little ####."
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

BigDee wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:55 am Mask on when shopping or in PassApp.
Mask off in Bars and Restaurants
Same as this. Always take one with me just in case needed to get in somewhere or to be socially acceptable.

Never where one when just walking along outdoors, don't see the point.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

"Cambodian Expats"?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic