To Mask or Not to Mask : Cambodian Expats, Do You Wear a Mask ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

Do you wear a mask in Cambodia?

Never
3%
Hardly ever
18%
Sometimes
45%
Always
33%

Total votes: 60
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: To Mask or Not to Mask : Cambodian Expats, Do You Wear a Mask ?

Post by hanno »

highrider wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:04 pm
That wouldn't surprise me. Sapa is a small place mostly consisting of hotels and tourist related small businesses such as restaurants. As you say, probably sporadic enforcement for a few days on walking street or during special events when some government official is told to do his work, otherwise no, in the absence of a new declared "outbreak".

Ha Noi being the capital, with malls, mass transit systems about to start running, government offices etc. it's more likely some rules are still in force.

As you say, there's a difference between some businesses or places requiring them and being mandated to wear them everywhere in public. The latter is no longer enforced, except apparently in Ho Chi Minh City. Of course, this isn't over yet so I wouldn't be surprised if the rules keep tightening, then easing and tightening again in waves, as has occurred since early this year.

Would love to visit Sa Pa again. Great place! BTW I remember your avatar from Lonely Planet's Thorntree forum. Before it was temporarily set to "read-only" I recall you've been making contributions there for years.
Even Hanoi. I was there for the Midnight marathon. Everyone had to wear a mask going into the corral only for mask to be taken off immediately.

I don't know how long you haven't been to Sa Pa, it has changed a fair bit. I worked here 18 years ago when it was a sleepy little town. Now it is mayhem, especially on weekends. Having said that, the area around Sa Pa is still very nice.

Ah yes, the old TT days. Haven't been on there for years.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

IME, Cambodians don't wear a mask because the government tells them to. They wear a mask because:
1: They usually wear a mask anyway (mostly women)
2: They are afraid of catching the virus
3: Social pressure (markets and shops)
4: Stories go around about coronavirus on social media and freak people out (#2)

Of course there will not be anti-masks protests here, most people are used to wearing masks, and if anything, they feel better protected with a mask on. And many Cambodian people are genuinely worried about catching the virus.

More relevant than masks is the effect of the shutdown on tourism and factories, and the closed borders. The economic situation is dire for a lot of Cambodians. You can only go back to your village for so long.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

what makes america great
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I always wear a mask when shopping, banking etc.
I don't want to cause tension by not wearing one.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:00 am I always wear a mask when shopping, banking etc.
I don't want to cause tension by not wearing one.
I agree - I have been tested so many times I know I am virus free, but the ladies at the vege market in Siem Reap don't know that - I wear the mask for them, and for the supermarket checkout people, and the bank tellers. But also to keep the dust out of my mouth on my motorbike, so its not just altruism !
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
highrider
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by highrider »

hanno wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:37 pm
That wouldn't surprise me. Sapa is a small place mostly consisting of hotels and tourist related small businesses such as restaurants. As you say, probably sporadic enforcement for a few days on walking street or during special events when some government official is told to do his work, otherwise no, in the absence of a new declared "outbreak".

Ha Noi being the capital, with malls, mass transit systems about to start running, government offices etc. it's more likely some rules are still in force.

As you say, there's a difference between some businesses or places requiring them and being mandated to wear them everywhere in public. The latter is no longer enforced, except apparently in Ho Chi Minh City. Of course, this isn't over yet so I wouldn't be surprised if the rules keep tightening, then easing and tightening again in waves, as has occurred since early this year.

Would love to visit Sa Pa again. Great place! BTW I remember your avatar from Lonely Planet's Thorntree forum. Before it was temporarily set to "read-only" I recall you've been making contributions there for years.
Even Hanoi. I was there for the Midnight marathon. Everyone had to wear a mask going into the corral only for mask to be taken off immediately.

I don't know how long you haven't been to Sa Pa, it has changed a fair bit. I worked here 18 years ago when it was a sleepy little town. Now it is mayhem, especially on weekends. Having said that, the area around Sa Pa is still very nice.

I was a regular on TT until the forum went into "read only" mode. Will be back as soon as the forum goes back to normal.

It's been around 9 years since I was in Sapa. I'm sure a lot has changed. Would have loved to visit recently, when it was snowing there. I gather that's not a regular occurrence! I know snow does occasionally fall in Sapa, but it's usually a once in 5 years event or something? And when it does snow, it only sticks around for a day before melting.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

highrider wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:41 pm
hanno wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:37 pm

I was a regular on TT until the forum went into "read only" mode. Will be back as soon as the forum goes back to normal.

It's been around 9 years since I was in Sapa. I'm sure a lot has changed. Would have loved to visit recently, when it was snowing there. I gather that's not a regular occurrence! I know snow does occasionally fall in Sapa, but it's usually a once in 5 years event or something? And when it does snow, it only sticks around for a day before melting.
It didn’t actually snow. There was some hoar frost but no actual snow, contrary to what many people posted. When I worked in Sa Pa in 2002, it snowed twice but now the last snowfall was 4 years ago.
emm
Expatriate
Austria

Post by emm »

I do wear a Mask out of several reasons:

1. Respect Khmer People which often see Foreigners walking into shops ignoring the "Mask up" sign outside.

2. Protect myself from inhaling Diesel Fumes from the hundreds of Trucks passing my road every day
3. Protect myself from Dust from unpaved roads that often contain Streptococcus Bakteria which affects eyes, nose and ears mostly and can get you nasty infections.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streptococcus
4. Obey Rules when going shopping, paying my bills at the EDC (Electric du Cambodge)
5. Protect myself and my fellow neighbors and friends from possible serious Infections like Covid 19.
6. Because i dont want people to see how old i really are, particular in the Morning before my first coffee
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

emm wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:47 pm 3. Protect myself from Dust from unpaved roads that often contain Streptococcus Bakteria which affects eyes, nose and ears mostly and can get you nasty infections.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streptococcus
Streptococcus is usually caught from other people's respiratory systems or their wound/skin infections. I don't think you are likely to catch it from dust.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I've noticed the mask is really good for walking past the rubbish piles on the streets
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic