To Mask or Not to Mask : Cambodian Expats, Do You Wear a Mask ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

Do you wear a mask in Cambodia?

Never
3%
Hardly ever
18%
Sometimes
45%
Always
33%

Total votes: 60
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: To Mask or Not to Mask : Cambodian Expats, Do You Wear a Mask ?

Post by Clemen »

Dunderhead wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:54 am My freedom to breath normally does not end where your fear begins.
From someone who doesn’t know the difference between “breath” and “breathe”.
Spoiler:
the correct answer is always, because science
up to you...
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Dunderhead wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:54 am My freedom to breath normally does not end where your fear begins.
but your freedom to be an asshole ends when it poses a danger to everyone else

it's no longer a matter for debate, there are now numerous studies
and shouldn't be a matter of choice
a minor inconvenience to save lives

monstra mihi bona!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

As some of you will know I was in Kampong Cham when the western tourists on the boat were tested positive of covid-19 and put in the Mekong hotel for isolation. Police were sitting in the restaurant were I was staying, keeping an eye on the situation around the town, the police asked my partner why I was not wearing a mask, she took one out of her bag and told me to put it on, thing is the police nor any Khmer was wearing a mask. I certainly felt that I was singled out.
But now and since before that encounter I and my partner had worn mask's, but I agree it would be near impossible to eat your meal in a restaurant with one on. When I go to the super market it is usually after midnight, due to only a few other people would be shopping, here it is policy to wear masks inside, but few western, Khmer and Chinese take any notice.
Again where I live very few if any Khmers will wear masks.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

These masks are a placebo. Most masks do nothing to prevent covid from spreading. Sheep mentality for a virus that if you get it have a 99.8% (under 70yrs old) of recovering from. Bunch of scare mongoring from the governments ImageImageImage
hanno wrote:It was mandatory here in Vietnam for a while and it never bothered me wearing one (not wearing one was actually a fineable offence). I don't see the big issue, if I can run wearing a mask, surely wearing one in everyday life is not too big an ask?
You wear a mask whilst running outside Image ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage lol...

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Equinix wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:43 pm These masks are a placebo. Most masks do nothing to prevent covid from spreading. Sheep mentality for a virus that if you get it have a 99.8% (under 70yrs old) of recovering from. Bunch of scare mongoring from the governments ImageImageImage
hanno wrote:It was mandatory here in Vietnam for a while and it never bothered me wearing one (not wearing one was actually a fineable offence). I don't see the big issue, if I can run wearing a mask, surely wearing one in everyday life is not too big an ask?
You wear a mask whilst running outside Image ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage lol...
Another useless uninformed opinion. Why do you think medical staff have worn masks for decades? :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

John Bingham wrote:
Equinix wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:43 pm These masks are a placebo. Most masks do nothing to prevent covid from spreading. Sheep mentality for a virus that if you get it have a 99.8% (under 70yrs old) of recovering from. Bunch of scare mongoring from the governments ImageImageImage
Another useless uninformed opinion. Why do you think medical staff have worn masks for decades? :?
You are comparing medical masks with the cheap masks sold everywhere? N95 masks might help a bit. And again for a virus most people won't even notice they've got it Image

Up yr vitamine D and yr Zinc. Eat healthy and you have very little to worry about ImageImage
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Well, see how countries are doing with, what you describe as, sheep mentality as opposed to countries where a large number think it is all a big hoax (Vietnam: 1385 cases, 35 deaths. USA 15.7 million cases, 293+ thousand deaths). Anyway, you make your choices, I make mine.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

It's obvious; wear a mask and if you don't you are openly saying I don't give a shit about anyone else because if you are asymptomatic and you pass on the virus because you aren't wearing a mask, that person will probably pass it on and so on and eventually there's a very good chance somebody will die because of you. what does that make you?
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Most of the locals I see are not wearing them effectively. Most are protecting their chins at best. Down my alley I see maybe 50% wearing a mask with maybe 20% wearing them properly. Some laughably wear them driving around on motos without helmets! More likely to be hit by an errent cement truck with failed brakes than catch the virus.
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

Trying to use logic to explain that US stats are completely bogus is not hard to do. But using logic on this board is like administering medicine to the dead.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic