Is This the Beginnning of the End of Rugby Union as a Sport ?

Title says it all really...
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Is This the Beginnning of the End of Rugby Union as a Sport ?

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:19 pm Hey JL,
I hoped you would weigh in. (And welcome back :beer3: )
Yeah, it's news now because eight professional ex-players from the UK are suing the rugby union authorities for compensation. Tbf, it's not only about the money - they want to change the rules to make it safer for players.
The eight former players, who are all under the age of 45, are proposing to bring legal proceedings against World Rugby – the game’s governing body – the Rugby Football Union in England and the Welsh Rugby Union over what they claim is their failure to protect them from the risks caused by concussions.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... legal-case

I guess boxers must know they are risking brain damage, and you say this is well known, but some of these rugby players don't seem to have had any idea.
Spoiler:
Are rugby players thicker than boxers then ? :popcorn:
if its not already known then why have they already changed the rules numerous times and banned head tackles etc.
As per a 2011 World Rugby memorandum on the topic,

"A player must not tackle (or try to tackle) an opponent above the line of the shoulders even if the tackle starts below the line of the shoulders. A tackle around the opponent’s neck or head is dangerous play."[6]

Reducing player injuries sustained from high tackles has long been a goal of World Rugby.[6] In May 2019, World Rugby released a decision-making framework for high tackles to assist players and referees in avoiding illegal high tackles and appropriately sanctioning players who commit this infraction.[7] The result of the framework's implementation was a 37% reduction in the number of tackle-related concussion incidents per 1,000 player hours at the 2019 World Cup compared to the previous year, with an overall 28% reduction in concussion incidents.[8]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_tack ... 20play.%22
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

People play rugby, rugby league, NFL,box for the physical confrontation, take that away and it's no fun.
It's not just the brain getting injured what about the knee's, shoulder spine
15 year's of rugby league, been suffering since turning 40 ,no complaints, no blaming wish I could do it now
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

atst wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:28 pm People play rugby, rugby league, NFL,box for the physical confrontation, take that away and it's no fun.
15 year's of rugby league, been suffering since turning 40 ,no complaints, no blaming wish I could do it now
:thumb:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

atst wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:28 pm People play rugby, rugby league, NFL,box for the physical confrontation, take that away and it's no fun.
This!

Played since i was 5 years old and I’m still playing, despite better judgement. It’s like an addiction for me.

But I have to admit that, among the many injuries i have had and their long term repercussions, the knocks to the head (multiple concussions) do worry me the most.
The game has been made safer over the years and contact to the head, even accidental, is being strictly penalised. The also took the impact off the scrum in recent years.
The head knocks I received though, happened mainly on the ground in a ruck (knees flying in) and were often “friendly fire”. Very difficult to remove this from the game.

I am admittedly bias, but I do believe that rugby union is one of the best sport a kid can play. The values and respect it teaches, the culture on and off the pitch, and the fact that anyone can play it makes it so amazing.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

flea wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:50 am
Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:51 am

Not a chance.

Rugby Union, on the other hand, doesn't have hits or tackles above the shoulders, nor do they head the ball. In the scrum they don't butt heads either.
Have you actually played the game because as my memory as a forward most of the game was spent with your spine and face parallel with the pitch. Your head would often get hit with knees or trampled on or other bony parts the body colliding with it.
Maybe you must have been a back?
Played a bit as a youth, though not as much as in areas where it was played in schools.

Yeah sure there are bangs and collisions to heads etc, but then again no tackles above shoulder are allowed, they have also modified the ruck, maul and scrummage rules extensively with safety in mind over the past 20 years/4 world cups.

The brain is a strange one; some people can have lasting effects from just one concussion, yet others have had literally hundreds with no detectable ill effects at all.

I've yet to suffer a concussion, despite some pretty ugly impacts to my head over the years, knock on wood it stays like that
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

In football (soccer) they solved this problem very simply by using a plastic ball that is lighter than leather, especially when wet.
In rugby, they can solve it very simply by ...Mmm, I'll get back to you on that.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

armchairlawyer wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:45 pm In football (soccer) they solved this problem very simply by using a plastic ball that is lighter than leather, especially when wet.
In rugby, they can solve it very simply by ...Mmm, I'll get back to you on that.

About soccer balls: they weigh the same now as in 1950. They have not been lightened at all.

Concede that modern balls don't get as heavy when wet as old leather balls though.
The circumference shall not be more than 28 in., nor less than 27 in, while the weight at the start of the game must not be more that 16 oz., nor less than 14 oz.” They still read the same regarding ball specifications
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Yes - if you made rugby a "safe sport", would it still be rugby ?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Played as a second row long time ago, when scrums would still go in very hard. I had more than a couple of pretty hard hits to my head. I do not think I suffered any side effects but..... what was I writing? Darn, I forgot.
flea
BANNED

Post by flea »

Could we also include Gaelic football on the list?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic