Best way to send money from Cambodia to US?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Best way to send money from Cambodia to US?

Post by talltuktuk »

My fiance has ABA bank. If he comes to the US, he will bring several thousand dollars with him. I know that you can bring <$10k in without declaring it. We don't think it's a good option to travel with cash. Have any of you transferred money to the US and which method is the best?
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Best way to send money from Cambodia to US?

Post by newkidontheblock »

Great question.

Missus has ABA bank.

$9000 in $100 bills does not take up much room. A thick wide letter envelope. Easily carried in a Fanny pack.

Might be worth keeping some in the ABA account for your better half’s family emergencies that crop up. ABA can WING to other ABA accounts.

Any transfers will involve intermediary banks and fees. Cambodia is on a money laundering list and will get more scrutiny, especially sending out money.

Plus any transfers of $10,000 or more will trigger lots of questions.

Good luck.

Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Had anyone used the ABA bank app outside of Cambodia and if so, were there any problems?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Just take the cash with you no matter how much people get worried carrying cash , In all my life I've never been robbed, mugged doing day to day stuff, drunk at 2-3am different story
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

No, I mean being outside of Cambodia using the ABA app. Has anyone had any problems using the app? Was in their Psar Thmei office yesterday asking the question and got three different answers from three different staff.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Cooldude wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:05 am No, I mean being outside of Cambodia using the ABA app. Has anyone had any problems using the app?
Works fine for me. I'm using the ABA app more often outside of Cambodia than within.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

talltuktuk wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:15 am My fiance has ABA bank. If he comes to the US, he will bring several thousand dollars with him. I know that you can bring <$10k in without declaring it. We don't think it's a good option to travel with cash. Have any of you transferred money to the US and which method is the best?
I believe this is a quite simple bank transfer. A while
Back I transferred to an EU country and it was no big deal. You just have to pay the fee. Also check the fee on the US end- often it’s free to receive a wire transfer. The fee is less significant if it’s more money.

On the other hand, I see no problem with carrying under 10k to the US - I don’t think it’s much of a risk.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

talltuktuk wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:15 am My fiance has ABA bank. If he comes to the US, he will bring several thousand dollars with him. I know that you can bring <$10k in without declaring it. We don't think it's a good option to travel with cash. Have any of you transferred money to the US and which method is the best?
------------------------

Carry up to $10K without declaring it.

You can carry more than $10K but you MUST declare it and fill out FinCen Form 105. And of course you must fill it out truthfully and be prepared to answer questions as to the origin of the money. It is not unusual for people to sell overseas homes and carry the cash or cashier's checks into the country (supposedly due to high transfer fees or restrictions in that country). Business checks fall into this category also and must be declared if you are carrying them.

There should be little concern about declaring money over $10K. Its not unusual and aside from some extra time with customs the process is fairly smooth as long as you have your paperwork completed ahead of time.

What I cannot speak to is what the law is in Cambodia in regards to taking out more than $10K when travelling.

I have not transferred money to the US but I use Wire/Swift transfers for amounts of more than $10K from US to Cambodia. A few times I've used Western Union from the US to Cambodia and its only a $7 fee because its USD to USD. Not sure what their limit is for a transfer.

Lastly, I would not be concerned about flying with several thousand dollars in cash. Just keep it on your person or computer bag and use common sense.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

I have transferred money to the US from ABA. You can do it manually by filling out a form at the bank. I have also used their iBanking which they no longer have. I have not used their smartphone app so do not know if its possible using that. Its not hard for less than $10,000 but the fees are significant - I think I paid at least $30. There is not really a cheaper way to transfer as all the banks charge excessive fees.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic