who is still waiting for a refund for flight cancellation?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: who is still waiting for a refund for flight cancellation?

Post by Doc67 »

angsta wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:34 am
truffledog wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:26 am LH still has not paid back my flights cancelled in march. I received the last mail on october 9th asking for patience..since then no answers to my requests. I just wonder how many other airlines still failed to pay out.

Philippine Airlines are useless so I am not expecting a refund in 2020.
Me too. I have a Vancouver to PP flight that got cancelled. I opted for a voucher as they were unsure how long a refund would take. This was in June. Several phone calls since and eventually get told they will email me very soon. They never did. I can't even get a voucher out of them.

I have given up, I think if they refund everything that is due they will all go bust. I think we are just going to have to take it on the chin.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I had a few days in KL booked for April last year. AirAsia gave me a credit but the flights were only $45 or something so it's no big deal if I never see it again. As Covid became a story they offered some very good fares... the cynic in me wondered if they were trying to lure in a bunch of cash, knowing full well what was about to unfold. Anyway they have been great for travel in the region and they can keep my money if it helps them survive.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:01 pm I had a few days in KL booked for April last year. AirAsia gave me a credit but the flights were only $45 or something so it's no big deal if I never see it again. As Covid became a story they offered some very good fares... the cynic in me wondered if they were trying to lure in a bunch of cash, knowing full well what was about to unfold. Anyway they have been great for travel in the region and they can keep my money if it helps them survive.
That my attitude too, we need them to still be ready to fly when things start to return to normal. However, when things do get back to normal, many of these companies are going to be so badly damaged and crippled with debt and depleted reserves they will be vulnerable. Governments will be grappling with their own financial woes by then so bailouts won't be easy to obtain.

There may be a flurry of start-up budget carriers; new, fresh and with healthy balance sheets. They might well kill off some of the wounded airlines who are not capable of putting up much of a fight.

I am an eternal optimist!
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Cathay Pacific provided us a refund for unused tickets. To their credit the amount refunded was pretty close to what I thought it should have been. Took about 7 business days from the time I requested the refund.
Tommie
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Tommie »

SVG-CPH-SIN-PNH and return in april on business class with Singapore Airlines. I got an E-mail in may that says that I have untill december 2021 to rebook my ticket free of charge and that I would get 25% more points on the trip. I am planning to do the trip in december 2021 now.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I had a flight cancelled by Eva Air. (Was around July I think). They refunded in full immediately. In fact, someone from the PP office called me up and asked if I needed help to reclaim my refund online.
They get my vote as best airline. :thumb:
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:33 pm I had a flight cancelled by Eva Air. (Was around July I think). They refunded in full immediately. In fact, someone from the PP office called me up and asked if I needed help to reclaim my refund online.
They get my vote as best airline. :thumb:
Yep my vote to the only airline that could get me back to Cambodia from Australia
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
GreenMeat
Tourist
United States of America

Post by GreenMeat »

Cathay Pacific - Refunded two tickets within 14 days back in April after one call.
Korean Air(via partner Delta Airlines) - Refunded one ticket that in purchased in June within 21 days after one call.
Asiana - Refunded one ticket in October that I purchased in June after four calls to Korea and the US.

I fly a lot and worked in aviation for 25 years before I retired and what I've learned the hard way is to always buy your airline tickets directly from the airline. If you buy your ticket through a 3rd party vendor it is much harder to get a refund promptly. You might save a few bucks buying through Priceline or CheapoAir.com but you run the risk of tremendous aggravation if your travel plans fall through.

I had problems with getting my refund from Asiana. I purchased the ticket in the USA and tried to get my refund by calling their customer service center in Los Angeles but it was difficult even getting through. Instead I called their office in Seoul and spoke to an English speaking customer service representative who contacted the LA office on my behalf and I got my money back in two weeks.

The lesson here is to be flexible and call a different office if you're not getting satisfaction. Back in June I used the website www.flyertalk.com and found it had some very useful suggestions for getting airline ticket refunds. I haven't been on the website in several months though.

Stick with it and good luck.
“All find solace in the tomb”
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

EVA Air refunded multiple round trip tickets after cancelling 3 times (this is as the flight schedule shrank from daily from/to Phnom Penh to/from Taipei once a week). Straightforward process.

Used the refund to buy missus’ ticket to America. Plus the extra charge for verifying the credit card dropped after 3 days, as they promised.

Plus they just extended the Diamond card program for another year.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic