Suggestions for learning to speak Khmer

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Arthur&Hobson
Expatriate
Cambodia

Suggestions for learning to speak Khmer

Post by Arthur&Hobson »

I am looking for a RELIABLE method to learn Khmer. I have tried Youtube, Google translate and spoken with some nice locals but it isn't working well. They teach me words and then when I try to practice with others they don't understand and they provide different words that again I try but people still provide different words. My neighbor can understand what I say but only if I use the words he has taught me. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
"Perhaps you would like me to come in there and wash your #### for you, you little ####."
BDT92
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Suggestions for learning to speak Khmer

Post by BDT92 »

I can hook you up with my private tutor.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Arthur&Hobson wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:12 am I am looking for a RELIABLE method to learn Khmer. I have tried Youtube, Google translate and spoken with some nice locals but it isn't working well. They teach me words and then when I try to practice with others they don't understand and they provide different words that again I try but people still provide different words. My neighbor can understand what I say but only if I use the words he has taught me. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Be aware that even these days Cambodians are not expecting a foreigner to be able to speak Khmer, so it might not be that your Khmer is bad or the wrong word, you simply caught them off guard. I still get that to this day some 15 years after my first attempt. One tip on that is to ensure that you open any casual interaction with a simple "sousdey" so that the Cambodian immediately hears something very familiar & almost unmistakable unless they are completely "l'ngoong" ... therafter they are more attuned to hearing further Khmer, even if it is slightly wrong.

:hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Arthur&Hobson wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:12 am I am looking for a RELIABLE method to learn Khmer. I have tried Youtube, Google translate and spoken with some nice locals but it isn't working well. They teach me words and then when I try to practice with others they don't understand and they provide different words that again I try but people still provide different words. My neighbor can understand what I say but only if I use the words he has taught me. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Contact English teachers in state schools. They often have free hours in their schedule and will be willing to fill 'm up teaching you Khmer for a small fee. Cheaper than a tutor, and you get to learn with a (more or less) trained teacher. of course you'd have to go to the school every time, but that's a nice break of your day and a chance to experience another part of Cambodian daily life.

Make sure you get permission from the school director (or deputy) before starting your learning. The teacher can help you with this.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Spigzy wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:22 am
Be aware that even these days Cambodians are not expecting a foreigner to be able to speak Khmer, so it might not be that your Khmer is bad or the wrong word, you simply caught them off guard. I still get that to this day some 15 years after my first attempt. One tip on that is to ensure that you open any casual interaction with a simple "sousdey" so that the Cambodian immediately hears something very familiar & almost unmistakable unless they are completely "l'ngoong" ... therafter they are more attuned to hearing further Khmer, even if it is slightly wrong.

:hattip:
I've found a simple greeting often is not enough to get them 'switched on', because loads of foreigners unable to speaker Khmer can do the 'hello' and there it stops. However, combining the 'hello' with correctly addressing the person you are talking to (hello grandfather, hello auntie, etc etc) will get them switched on because people unable to speak Khmer can't address others correctly.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

It's a long and rocky road no matter how you go about it. Like anything else you want to get good at in life, it's all about copious amounts of practice.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

You need a tutor. It's a bit ridiculous to assume you can learn a language using Google translate or random people who have no methodology or training. Sure, you can learn numbers and basics, but not enough to make a difference. I can recommend someone, and to be honest, I never thought Khmer was very difficult. It's a super easy language if you have some previous experience with foreign languages.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

There is no "reliable" method to learning any language that fits all students. The method that suits you will depend on your learning style (visual, auditory, tactile etc), your age, and other factors. For me the best way was to just to get out there and talk to people, get involved in the society. I kept a notebook with me that I would make notes in and discuss with Khmer friends while I helped them learn English. Write with a pen and paper, don't make notes on the computer - this will help you immensely. Learn tricks on how to expand your active vocabulary (https://wordcounter.net/blog/2014/01/22 ... ulary.html). Absorb the language constantly. Listen to it when you don't understand it. Have the news or radio playing in the background. Watch Khmer movies sometimes. Tutor or no tutor (I did without) you will need this kind of practice.

Patience is also key. To fully learn a language I believe you need 10+ years of hard work. 3+ years just to be comfortable talking/listening. If you are trying to learn to read and write, remember it's going to be a hell of a drill to begin with...
Arthur&Hobson
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Arthur&Hobson »

I want to thank all of you that have responded. Your replies are relevant, informative and courteous. For BDT92 I would like to contact your tutor if possible. For Kammekor can you suggest a starting point, a school that you would recommend. I attended university for the most part of 25 years and I am not familiar with this method (teaching outside of the school environment). I had to maintain current certificates in an ever changing technological environment. I do speak a basic form of a few Asian languages but the present environment of school closings, etc., this is more challenging. For all the other member's responses, I thank you. You provided helpful information.
"Perhaps you would like me to come in there and wash your #### for you, you little ####."
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

RUPP does a good course.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic