Suggestions for learning to speak Khmer

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Suggestions for learning to speak Khmer

Post by phuketrichard »

when in the peace corps they use the total immersion method, ur instructor Never speaks English to you not are you allowed to use English 24/7
learned African french and Swahili this way

Most cant be bothered learning this way thou
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
SEAdude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SEAdude »

Get a Khmer girlfriend that lives near the airport. There are zero barang that live there. Like jumping out of a plane. You will learn regardless if you want to or not. That is what I did anyway....
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

There is a school called 'Gateway to Khmer' which is specifically for teaching Khmer to foreigners, who have just built a brand new multi-story building so they can't be doing that bad, but as it's a school I guess it gets included when all the schools have to close due to the latest coronavirus outbreak, so I'm not sure an actual school would be your best bet at the moment.

I don't know enough about it to recommend it but just thought I'd mention it.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

it just takes a lot of practice and trial and error, i remember when i first came here and innocently thought Oun was a term to address a female, and when id say it to ladies older than me, it would get giggles and reactions, and it wasnt until some of my khmer friends started correcting me with what i should be saying, and after a little research discovered that it could be seen as flirtatious or inappropriate as not only does it mean 'younger' but also used as a term of endearment, in a similar way the word 'Baby/Babe' is used in English language

i ended up going to school here and having private lessons, best thing i ever did, it does completely change your experience here,

personally, translating Khmer songs is one source of studying i find a great resource of learning especially when im not physically in the country and interacting, i know others like watching Khmer TV/Soaps in a similar way,
its down to the "The Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon" if you listen to songs/tv, all of a sudden your brain will start picking up/recognising words, once you have noticed that word, you will notice it/hear it all the time, even when you are out and about in day to day life, it will be the same, once you recognise a word, find out what it means, its a slow process but an easy way to start building up your vocabulary, if you do end up going to school, words that you dont know then pop out a lot more and you think i need to find out that word when i get home

feel free to send me an inbox anytime mate, ive got stuff i could send you to get you going
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:28 pm ive got stuff i could send you to get you going
I bet you do.

Sorry, what was the subject? :lol:
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

First four months I came here I took lessons 2-3 times per week in a school. Best investment, and doing it from the onset saved me tons of time and potential mistakes that would have been difficult to fix later on (though I still made some). Within 6 months I was more or less independent, but far from "fluent". After that progress really depends on how much effort you put in, and how adept you are at languages in general.

I've seen the Gateway to Khmer school advertised as well and it looks good, though I can't vouch for them myself. Also, a few tutors advertising on the PP expat groups on Facebook. Many even offer online tutoring. I think most start at around $8/hour or so.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I have a tutor who has done a pretty good job, given the student he has to work with. Online via webcam. Time zones and work schedules get in the way for me.

Details via PM if you like.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic