20Kg Python Captured Up a Tree in Central Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

20Kg Python Captured Up a Tree in Central Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News(Phnom Penh): On December 3, 2020, at 9 am, a 20kg python was found in a tree on street 360, Sangkat Toul Svay Prey 1, Khan Beung Kengkong, Phnom Penh.

Before the incident, the local people saw a huge python, weighing about 20kg, on a tree in the street, so they contacted the police and the conservation authorities to hand over the python, which was then sent to Phnom Tamao Nature Reserve.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: 20Kg Python Captured Up a Tree in Central Phnom Penh

Post by IraHayes »

I'm sorry but thats a fair sized snake... and last time I checked they weren't the fastest of movers.

So... we have a large slow snake and it managed to get to BKK1 un-noticed?
How would that be possible? Or is the location closer to the edge of PP than I realise?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

IraHayes wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:41 pm I'm sorry but thats a fair sized snake... and last time I checked they weren't the fastest of movers.

How would that be possible? Or is the location closer to the edge of PP than I realise?
It was street 360 and they said Tuol Svay Prey so it must be the west part. There's a big overgrown empty lot nearby that's been overgrown for years. I'd guess it grew up in the area rather than came from anywhere out in the sticks but it could have come via the underground former river (now sewer) not so far away. That stretch between Wat Moha Motrei and the Chinese embassy was a grassy vale with a brook running through it up till about 30 years ago.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

All these pythons suddenly being photographed wrapped around Phnom Penhian's necks.
It's just one of those Khmer "i gotta be in it too" fashion trends that sweep the country periodically.
it won't last long before the traditional Khmer turtle necks return as the fashionable cold winter day favourite.
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

IraHayes wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:41 pm I'm sorry but thats a fair sized snake... and last time I checked they weren't the fastest of movers.

maybe the drainage system... though it being PP, that doesn't sound like a stretch
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

'Anybody lost the dog? recently
It appears to have that tell-tale bulge in his upper digestive pipeline.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Anyone know what's likely to happen to it? I know you can't have great big pythons roaming around like they own the place but it's not their fault we've left them with nowhere to live. I'd like to think they're driven to the middle of nowhere and set free to live out their natural lives but somehow I doubt it....
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

xandreu wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:47 am Anyone know what's likely to happen to it? I know you can't have great big pythons roaming around like they own the place but it's not their fault we've left them with nowhere to live. I'd like to think they're driven to the middle of nowhere and set free to live out their natural lives but somehow I doubt it....
.....which was then sent to Phnom Tamao Nature Reserve.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:03 am

It was street 360 and they said Tuol Svay Prey so it must be the west part. There's a big overgrown empty lot nearby that's been overgrown for years. I'd guess it grew up in the area rather than came from anywhere out in the sticks but it could have come via the underground former river (now sewer) not so far away. That stretch between Wat Moha Motrei and the Chinese embassy was a grassy vale with a brook running through it up till about 30 years ago.
THanks for the insight, It would seem I was way off on where I thought it had been captured lol.

It could easily have been living there for quite some time living off the rats and cats etc
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic