A Flock of Hornbills Show Up at Phumen Phnom Penh University

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: A Flock of Hornbills Show Up at Phumen Phnom Penh University

Post by timmydownawell »

hanno wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:42 am
timmydownawell wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:19 am
hanno wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:31 am
timmydownawell wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:51 am
hanno wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:10 pm Only a matter of time before there are more Hornbills in PP than in the forests (or what's left of them).
Bit like Ibises in Australia, feeling drought and moving to the cities, and now known as Bin Chickens. Hornbills are way cooler though.
Ibises are super cool, I love them.

I very much doubt that the Hornbills moved to PP because of natural causes; I do believe they were trapped (illegally) and brought into the city.
The original story I heard was somebody kept them i PP as pets, but there are way too many for that to be true.
I think that is very true. Hornbills are not city birds, the only Hornbill in urban settings would be Pied. And the closest suitable habitat is nowhere near PP. And wild Wreathed Hornbills would not come in to be fed.
There are some Cambodians who are of the view if the great hornbills did not come from somewhere then they may belong to Tea Vichet, the nephew of the Minister of Defence, General Tea Banh who is an animal and bird lover.

However, many hoped that these great hornbills will bring good luck to the capital and Kingdom, especially at a time when the nation is hit by the Covid-19 pandemic.

Wildlife Alliance’s wildlife programmes director, Nick Marx told Khmer Times that he did see the great hornbills in Phnom Penh before but is not sure if they belong to anyone.

“There are not many great hornbills in Cambodia. There are some in Koh Kong province and I am surprised that the great hornbills have appeared again in Phnom Penh,” he added.

Full article: https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50865828/g ... good-sign/
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Mr. Virchey
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Mr. Virchey »

We found a tree full of the brown hornbills in Virachey NP near the Lao border, feeding with a group of red-shanked douc langurs. A delightful surprise!
Mr. Virachey, not Virchey
velvet_thunder
Expatriate

Post by velvet_thunder »

3 of them paid a visit in my area, and i got the feeling they were considering my cat as a mid-day snack for a brief moment haha.
Not sure about that even if i read they do happen to eat small(er) mammals sometimes.. anyways i was getting ready to gently roast one of them with a broom and place myself in the wrong side of history for the protection of this endangered species

ImageImageImage
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

One dropped by yesterday..
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Bloody pests - roof rabbits.
before we know it they will take over the city.

Endangered Hornbills - yeah right /bin chickens /tip turkeys /sandwich snatchers /picnic pirates

Hey. It can happen..
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

^^
They've got a long way to go to catch up to the 'rats with wings' aka pigeons.. Damn sight better looking and majestic than those horrible 'bin chickens' aka white ibis.
Samana Johann
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Samana Johann »

As they are extremely shy, at least here in the Oral valley and mountain, getting lesser and lesser as clearing forests heavily increases, a security range of 50m+, it's very hard to believe that those are wild grown up ones. Mudita (rejoice with others gain) that you got in touch with very seldom species anyway.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Really cool moment yesterday ... chilling out watching the sunset with the wife on the rooftop ... three of these magnificent creatures did a fly-by in formation and swooped down gave us a look/nod ... so cool!

hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:19 am Really cool moment yesterday ... chilling out watching the sunset with the wife on the rooftop ... three of these magnificent creatures did a fly-by in formation and swooped down gave us a look/nod ... so cool!

Hornbills in first picture are Wreathed, the others are Great.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

hanno wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:49 am
Fridaywithmateo wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:19 am Really cool moment yesterday ... chilling out watching the sunset with the wife on the rooftop ... three of these magnificent creatures did a fly-by in formation and swooped down gave us a look/nod ... so cool!

Hornbills in first picture are Wreathed, the others are Great.
:facepalm:

https://en.khmerpostasia.com/2021/06/02 ... good-sign/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic