A Flock of Hornbills Show Up at Phumen Phnom Penh University

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: A Flock of Hornbills Show Up at Phumen Phnom Penh University

Post by Clutch Cargo »

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Looks like the back of Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital. I counted 22 around the traffic lights on 271 in front of the hospital a week or so back. There must be about 30 there. There are Wreathed Hornbills which I don't see so much as the larger Great Hornbills in the video.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:03 pm Looks like the back of Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital. I counted 22 around the traffic lights on 271 in front of the hospital a week or so back. There must be about 30 there. There are Wreathed Hornbills which I don't see so much as the larger Great Hornbills in the video.
Only a matter of time before there are more Hornbills in PP than in the forests (or what's left of them).
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I like the way they hop as they do.. and seem to be fairly quiet birds too.

Their feet are a bit funny too with only 3 toes..
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

A couple of things we are seeing here, i reckon.
It proves how many (most?) species can be habituated to living right beside humans - if they feel safe. And surprisingly quickly.

And it also shows how humans (even Khmers and Vietnamese!!) stop hunting wild life when they have a better income from elsewhere. Like everybody, they actually love the idea of having them hanging around.

Some of the species that manage to survive to the next stage of Cambodia's development may actually begin to thrive again. We are already seeing more birds venturing into towns and cities all over the country ( -despite the general trend) because people are not subsistence hunting so much these days.

lol, As a bloke who is desperately clutching for straws, I see these birds are a harbinger of desperately needed Hope.
I actually believe quite strongly that Cambodian's innate but fierce pride for their wildlife can be harnessed effectively for its preservation.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

hanno wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:10 pm Only a matter of time before there are more Hornbills in PP than in the forests (or what's left of them).
Bit like Ibises in Australia, feeling drought and moving to the cities, and now known as Bin Chickens. Hornbills are way cooler though.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:51 am
hanno wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:10 pm Only a matter of time before there are more Hornbills in PP than in the forests (or what's left of them).
Bit like Ibises in Australia, feeling drought and moving to the cities, and now known as Bin Chickens. Hornbills are way cooler though.
Ibises are super cool, I love them.

I very much doubt that the Hornbills moved to PP because of natural causes; I do believe they were trapped (illegally) and brought into the city.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

They are pretty cool but I wouldn't want plagues of them like you see with the pigeons at the park opposite the palace/buddha place on Riverside. Kids selling corn to feed them. Likely to hit one on your moto going through.

Dirty pests..culling needed imo
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

hanno wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:31 am

I very much doubt that the Hornbills moved to PP because of natural causes; I do believe they were trapped (illegally) and brought into the city.
The original story I heard was somebody kept them i PP as pets, but there are way too many for that to be true.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:19 am
hanno wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:31 am

The original story I heard was somebody kept them i PP as pets, but there are way too many for that to be true.
I think that is very true. Hornbills are not city birds, the only Hornbill in urban settings would be Pied. And the closest suitable habitat is nowhere near PP. And wild Wreathed Hornbills would not come in to be fed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic